Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 AM   #31
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
123 North from Clarksville to Mt. Judea is probably my favorite Arkansas road.

You just can't post that kind of double secrete stuff here on the internet. I hear more than one person at a time can read this stuff!!! Hate to give away all the great rides. So stay off that road. It's dangerous, it has deer, it has curves, it has scenery, it has no traffic....just horrible!!!
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:30 AM   #32
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG DONGER View Post
123 North from Clarksville to Mt. Judea is probably my favorite Arkansas road.

You just can't post that kind of double secrete stuff here on the internet. I hear more than one person at a time can read this stuff!!! Hate to give away all the great rides. So stay off that road. It's dangerous, it has deer, it has curves, it has scenery, it has no traffic....just horrible!!!
Yep, you're right!! . I think I did hear that entire road is under construction or they were making it a toll road or somethin'.... yep... should stay away from that area...

Now if there was a way to broadcast that rumor to all the cagers!!
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #33
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
I may be from Texas but I think dch has the good stuff listed. You can almost forget about a lot of AR7 (especially down south). Lots of traffic on that road too. A little shorty is AR215 from Oark west to AR23 where you can pick up the best part of 23 to the north. Oark store has good eatin too.(+PIES!) Just north of Clarksville AR...take 103 to get there.

Be sure to get yourself a Butler Ozarks map for the best roads in AR & MO
THERE ARE TONS OF EM
WHAT ROD SAID

get BUTLER MAPS OZARK MAP

16, 21, 23 103, 215...

that squiggly hwy sign is on 23/THE PIG TRAIL, and it means it

lotsa fun

& ima toorist 2

only been riding up there for a few decades, every chance i get

sw
Old 01-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #34
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 31,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
WHAT ROD SAID

get BUTLER MAPS OZARK MAP

16, 21, 23 103, 215...

that squiggly hwy sign is on 23/THE PIG TRAIL, and it means it

lotsa fun

& ima toorist 2

only been riding up there for a few decades, every chance i get

sw
you got an off road bike and you ride the pig trail?
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #35
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
you got an off road bike and you ride the pig trail?
YEPPERS!!!

it IS a m/c & hwy 23 is just a road

in all seriousness, i spent several days up there on the tree fiddy & LOVED EVERY MINUTE

didn't matter which way i turned, that little skoot kept right on skootin

good sticky DS tyres w/ semi agressive tread & i never had a reason to worry, even in the rain

rode from EUREKA SPRINGS > MAGAZINE MT & JASPER > FAYETTEVILLE

up n down n back n forth

same skoot i rode, last year, all over/thru BIG BEND

all grins
Old 01-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #36
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
YEPPERS!!!

it IS a m/c & hwy 23 is just a road

in all seriousness, i spent several days up there on the tree fiddy & LOVED EVERY MINUTE

didn't matter which way i turned, that little skoot kept right on skootin

good sticky DS tyres w/ semi agressive tread & i never had a reason to worry, even in the rain

rode from EUREKA SPRINGS > MAGAZINE MT & JASPER > FAYETTEVILLE

up n down n back n forth

same skoot i rode, last year, all over/thru BIG BEND

all grins
you need to come up and ride the hillbilly run
Old 01-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #37
dch
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 344
Just a precautionary note to you folks who have not been to Arkansas. The liquor laws are a bit strange. There are dry counties where you can not buy liquor. If you enjoy having a cocktail after a hard day of riding, it is best to bring along a travel flask, until you get to know the counties that permit the evil alcohol to be sold. The major cities like Little Rock, Hot Springs, Eureka Springs, Fayetteville, Harrison etc. you are OK. The smaller burgs have a tendency to be dry, FYI.
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #38
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
what's that?

been dreaming about the arkansas 500, some day

kinda why i got this machine

for now, i'm just seeing what's out there, that an old man can ride
Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #39
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch View Post
Just a precautionary note to you folks who have not been to Arkansas. The liquor laws are a bit strange. There are dry counties where you can not buy liquor. If you enjoy having a cocktail after a hard day of riding, it is best to bring along a travel flask, until you get to know the counties that permit the evil alcohol to be sold. The major cities like Little Rock, Hot Springs, Eureka Springs, Fayetteville, Harrison etc. you are OK. The smaller burgs have a tendency to be dry, FYI.
alot of the dry counties are now wet...the people have spoken
Old 01-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #40
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,997
All the roads in east AR are not boring and flat as rumored...... MS 1 from Helena to Clarksdale is pretty cool. Shack up inn in Cdale is a must see, even if you can't do reservations. Contact me for more area touristy info...... Might even want to take a ride while you are around....
Old 01-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #41
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
a group of maybe 6 riders on sport touring bikes (mostly ducati mts). We want strictly paved roads with good surface. Also we like to ride at a brisk pace

So my thought is to ride to Clarksdale, then over to Hot Springs and take hwy 7 north up maybe to Harrison. My concern, Hwy 7 is listed as a scenic byway? What's the speed limit, is it heavily policed?

Working off hwy 7 are their other roads off of that, we're not really tied to a specific route, we're just wanting to get back to Clarksdale on Saturday to hit the blues clubs.
To address your 1st question, AR-7 from Hot Springs northward is a fun road. It can have traffic depending upon day and time of day. There are some passing zones and some spots for DL passing.

When riding on any of the roads up here, don't be hung up on keeping all six bikes in formation, and you'll do better. Maybe plan on being able to break the group of six into three pairs to make passing easier. But you probably do that anyway, since you're Euro sport-tourers.

Speed limits are 55mph outside city limits. They will be as low as 30mph in town limits. Obey the speed limits in the little towns and you should be fine. Jessieville is a notable place north of Hot Springs that will have a cop running radar, but all of them do. State Trooper enforcement is thin in most places, but as noted 341 (and also the north end of 123) will have a trooper presence due to frequent squid crashes on Saturdays.

You really can't go wrong in The Ozarks. It's some great sport-touring country.

North of The Arkansas River, pretty much every road that crosses AR-7 is a great motorcycling road. 123, 16, 74, 327.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #42
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 602
chiming in, NW Ark has the best motorcycle roads in the country. Look for any squiggly line on the map. Almost all surfaces are good, almost all are little trafficked and almost all have little law presence.
Push mtn is a great road, so do it on a weekday. The roads leading to it ain't bad neither! 14 is a lot of fun toward the west.
123 shown in the vids is arguably the twistiest of the commonly ridden roads, but there are others, eg the road up Mt Nemo. No one mentioned the road over Mt Magazine, or anywhere on 74; those are fine too. 7 does have traffic, but in my experience, far less N of Russelville. We're talking 70 mph sweepers.
I've used Jasper as a base for day rides and that location works pretty well. Clarksville does too.

Also, as the Oark Cafe and Turner's Bend have been mentioned, I'll mention the Ozark Cafe in Jasper as a very worthwhile place to eat. Across the street from there is the Blue Mountain Deli, also good. Higher end is the Boardwalk Cafe, part of Arkansas House Inn-a fine place to stay.

NW Arkansas is dart board territory, throw a dart, see where it lands and go for that road. I will add that if you are going up there soon, watch the weather. It can be VERY cold up there.
People have mentioned something along the lines of slow down and smell the roses...that's a real problem in Arkansas. the roads just lend themselves to speed and it's hard to slow down, not talking crazy squid speeds, but the roads just beg for a "brisk" pace. If you've never been you're in for a treat.
John

PS If you're thinking about Hot Springs, I'd say no. My preference would be go a little farther west and catch 27 to the north, and the Little Italy Restaurant in Glenwood. The chef is from Naples, doesn't speak much English and cooks up some terrific Italian dishes
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #43
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,700
No more info on AR is allowed as of NOW. The state is closed by exec order. Period. Got it?!!!!
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #44
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
No more info on AR is allowed as of NOW. The state is closed by exec order. Period. Got it?!!!!

Ya ol' curmudgeon. Weather gettin' to ya?

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #45
Thumpstart92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Hwy 123 is the only way to go