User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
jeffjbmw OP
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 773
The BMW that went up NW and came down SE a sidecar rig

BACKGROUND: I have not had long adventures like many of you. But, since retiring in the SW, I have talked about a long epic trip around the west. My wife and I own two 2006 R1200GSs, one recently bought to free up my wife's other bike, a R1150RS to become a sidecar rig. It has 27K miles and recently cost me two new stick coils, plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter and some throttle body balancing aggravation. Recently had fresh tires, also.

I live 18 miles North of Magdalena, NM on the border of the Alamo Band Navajo reservation. A couple of shots of the starting point at my house (which is at 7200 feet elevation). The mountain in the background of the first picture is Mount Taylor, also known as Turquoise Mountain and is one of the four sacred mountains of the Navajos.

Will be launching on a trip to Enumclaw, WA on April 3rd to get a sidecar, DMC-M72B, attached to the RS and ride it back to Magdalena over the course of about 10 days or so. It will have a windshield, tonneau cover, sidecar brake, and there will be steering mods to the RS. Mileage will be in excess of 3000, much more than I have ever done. Will post a few more prep photos, and ones along the way as I go. Trip up will be through Price, UT and Boise ID. Trip back will be through Prineville, OR to visit a friend, but no plans from there. Wish me luck and if you wanna propose a beer stop, I am open to that, too!

Read my blog: http://jeffszen.blogspot.com/
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
GS650Lady
Professional Nag

Oddometer: 141
Cool2 It's about time

The better half here.
I have been encouraging a journey for some time, after all he is a kept man. .
I will do my best to not to nag too much about treating my bike well.
He did just buy me a GS.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,537
Best of luck on your trip. What made you decide on a sidecar? Have you owned one before?

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
jeffjbmw OP
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Best of luck on your trip. What made you decide on a sidecar? Have you owned one before?
Nope, but always thought they were cool. Took the MSF course back a few years ago and enjoyed it. We live 8 miles in on dirt and needed two adventure bikes, hence the second GS. The RS is not a real popular bike, worth more as a tug than sold, so it was time to try a sidecar.

Read my blog: http://jeffszen.blogspot.com/
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote