Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Falang OP
Singapore

Oddometer: 107
6 Week Loop Thailand-Cambodia-Laos starting early February - Any Wanderers?

I'm planning to do another 5 to 6 week loop from Singapore to Cambodia and Laos and back, departing Singapore a day or two after Chinese New Year, i.e. in the first few days of February (flexible). The route would be something like the blue lines here:

The red lines are previous rides; I am trying to avoid retracing them while at the same time avoiding pointless places and returning to the interesting ones.

If anyone is going my way, wholly or partly, and would like to pair up for riding please PM.

No fixed dates and plans, just wandering around for 5 or 6 weeks, heading north around Bangkok down to Sihanoukville then up to Laos and back, figuring out the route and hotel for the day as I go along depending on good times, a little scuba diving, and the weather.

Ride a day or two, stop a day or two, depending on what is interesting in the area.

PS, this was my previous ride: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940988. You can see the bike and me in these photos from it:

Delightful Asia ....
Falang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I will be in Thailand the first week of February and would like to do some riding if possible. I'd have to figure out the logistics of renting, insuring, etc. I'm also going to start a thread of my own asking for advice and suggestions but wanted to introduce myself to you also!
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
PS I would be open to a 1-way rental & flight back to Bangkok if that's at all logistically possible.
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Falang OP
Singapore

Oddometer: 107
I don't know about rentals, because I have always ridden my own bike around here except in Myanmar. Base yourself in Chiang Mai. Most of the good riding in Thailand is well north of Bangkok anyway, and you can ride the 700km back from Bangkok to return the bike in Chiang Mai in one day if you are in a hurry and are on a highway bike. I once rode the 1100km from Mae Hong Son to Hua Hin in one long day but I admit that was excessive. PM me when you are doing your ride, and let's see if our paths can coincide.
Falang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 427
falang, kevinj ...

I'm currently looking for ideas for an adhoc trip in February on a rental bike somewhere and Thailand has always been on my wish list. So though I haven't looked at flights etc. yet, this could be interesting for me.