Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #16
Trey650
Are We There Yet?

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Will be interesting to see what happens. Technically JCR was a contractor to American Honda. Did he lose the contract or did Honda pull the plug?
From what I am hearing Honda pulled the plug on JCR. Without factory support there was no way for JCR to afford to race.
Class 10 Cage
Save $5 on Smugmug!! Use code cQNk2QFrIDFCo
Trey650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
Woa big news, thank you for sharing the article!

Thinking out loud, what might JCR's departure mean for the future of motorcycle racing in SCORE?
No problem Goofy, it sure is going to be interesting to find out the reasons and results of this. Out of all the teams the Honda team has such a deep connection with the series.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #18
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Roger Norman HATES the Motorcycles !!!!!!
Easy Kanye.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
This really sux for the Sportsman and non-factory pro Honda riders. The support program Bruce O set up years ago was second to none. Honda's pits and radio relay was awesome support that simply couldn't be obtained by any non-factory (and many factory) teams.
I don't know, I've been racing down there since '03 and only used Honda pits once. I've never needed parts or service that Honda would have supplied and there was no great wealth of knowledge available in the pits (don't know the difference between a quick-fill and a dry-break). Baja Pits and Mag 7 were just as good and a lot cheaper, for the price difference you could buy a set of wheels and couple air filters and cages. For guys with no clue on prep, logistics, ect. Bajabound is much more of a valuable resource.

Where this does suck is for the fast regular guys (like Mike Johnson or Francisco Septien) who don't have access to a Helo but might find themselves opening course. SCARY.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #20
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 611
Cycle News' take on the story

http://www.cyclenews.com/668/22818/R...t-Of-Baja.aspx
Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #21
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,845
INS cost is what is killing the sport
Score dropped it INS from $50.000 to $10.000 per insentient
a bird ride from San Felipe to San Diego cost about $20.000

Trust me !! I was flown out a few years back !!!

Honda Pits are by FAR better then Mag 7 and Baja pits ( that's why you see more Hondas racing in Baja then any other brand )
I think JCR will do a GNCC rider and a few special events

Thank you American Honda and JCR and for ALL you Support over the years

RID RED !!!!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #22
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Bulls eye on your post, small guys will be hurt, but perhaps that will level the playing field for who's left... the small guys

In all probability Honda had nothing more to prove and pulled their financing - what was their return for racing an 8 year old bike selling leftovers? Kawasaki pulled their plug years ago after being highly successful, even against Honda's high dollar efforts, which left Honda without any real competition so wins were easy without comparably financed programs. KTM has stepped up this year and may have their day in the sun , perhaps they will have the small guys represent the brand..

With dismal new motorcycle sales and tight budgets, cost cutting will likely continue to happen in many areas.

Quote:
This really sux for the Sportsman and non-factory pro Honda riders. The support program Bruce O set up years ago was second to none. Honda's pits and radio relay was awesome support that simply couldn't be obtained by any non-factory (and many factory) teams.
Quote:

TooFast screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 05:37 PM
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
I think JCR will do a GNCC rider and a few special events
Colton Haaker will probably still be racing EX on a 450 unless that gets cut too.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #24
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Colton Haaker will probably still be racing EX on a 450 unless that gets cut too.
He was the first guy let go!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #25
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Johnny Campbell Racing, Inc (JCR) is officially announcing its withdrawal from SCORE International Baja racing for 2014

For Immediate Release, January 12, 2014

San Clemente, CA:

Johnny Campbell Racing, Inc (JCR) the most dominate motorcycle
Off-Road racing team to compete in Baja, Mexico, is officially
announcing its withdrawal from SCORE International Baja racing for

Honda has enjoyed participating in Baja competition for over 51 years. Within Honda’s rich Baja racing history racers like Dave Ekins, Al Baker, Bruce Ogilvie, Chuck Miller, Johnny Campbell, Steve Hengeveld, Robby Bell, Kendall Norman, Quinn Cody, Colton Udall, Timmy Weigand and others have amassed over 23 victories in the most grueling Off-Road race in the world. Johnny’s personal record of 11-Overall wins plus 6 as a team owner and manager total an astounding 17-consecutive Baja 1000 victories for Honda, a record that is likely to never be equaled. The JCR/Honda team will be taking on a new set of exciting challenges that will be announced in the near future.

“With so much success over the past two decades of Baja motorcycle
racing, the time has come for us to search out new opportunities and a new set of goals. JCR/Honda has had an amazing experience working with SCORE International and an even better experience living the Baja dream. The extraordinary fans, the great sponsors and supporters all have made this lifestyle a gift I truly cherish.

I have been honored to carry on the legacy of my great mentor - the late Bruce Ogilvie - who's passion for Baja and this program has been carried on through the spirit of this team. The biggest thing that has made JCR and Honda so successful in Baja racing is the JCR/Honda race support crews, they are the backbone of this program. Without the selfless sacrifices of the pit captains and crews we would be nowhere. If just one crew person is not in the right place at the right time, the wins and championships would not have been obtainable. I sincerely thank each and everyone who has stood hand in hand with myself and the JCR/Honda team through the decades of dominance. Our new direction will be announced shortly. I have no doubt this will be an amazing year."

With absolute respect to all,

Johnny Campbell
so Much Class!!! you will be deeply missed.
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #26
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Honda Pits are by FAR better then Mag 7 and Baja pits ( that's why you see more Hondas racing in Baja then any other brand )
RID RED !!!!!!
Hilltoppers kick ass
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #27
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 288
Big question: Who gets 1x plate and where does it go.
Kamo's Out
Colton going out on his own
What about Weigand???
So will it be like 2009 season when Robby Bell hung the plate (euphemism) on his mantle for a few races and stayed home.

From what I have gathered, unless Tim Weigand enters San Felipe 250, there will be no 1x at the start line. (Weigand could always transfer it to another rider who rode at least 2 of the 3 2013 races (Colton or Kamo)

My take on this is that it is a heavy blow to desert racing in BAJA. Things just won't be the same without HONDA there...

Most all of my money bets against KTM Returning (EURO denominated currency or North American KTM $'s) There's absolutely NOTHING to gain and so much to lose.

Just got off the phone with THR KAWI's Scott Jacobson (Team owner) and asked him if he wanted to comment on the rumors about THR pulling out of BAJA as well:
"Right now we haven't decided. We're talking to Monster (main sponsor) and they might be waiting to see what happens with KTM. I don't think JCR's decision with sway them either way but if there's no competition down there whats the point. It'll be later this month before they (Monster) will decide because they obviously have a lot of stuff going on. Its basically their decision and if they want us to race BAJA we will."

Henge is driving the THR buggy in BITD
and Bob and Robby Bell are kinda burnt out on SCORE Baja...

I personally feel mixed, but mostly sad because I may be out of a job come race day (not that I get paid). Its a big tradition in BAJA and the bikes started the entire show. Now it seems like bikes are just the evil stepchild seated at the small table during thanksgiving...I honor tradition and all that but I am not a big fan a trucks and buggies when they share an event like this with bikes. (as in: Suck it Butch Jenson)

Heres a scenario: If you threw a molotov cocktail into McMillion Racing's pits, the entire McMillan team would come after you with crowbars (While the Herbst and Riviera teams watched on). If you threw that same molotov cocktail at a bike racer's pits, the entire bike community would come after you with all guns out.

My point is: Bikes need their own event and when they do, they really will get more attention and the money may follow. But when you mix bikes and trucks (like SCORE) and then ESPN airs coverage of the BAJA 1000 after christmas, Bike sponsors get ZERO love. Make it about bikes only and they will come.

Venga te

Scotty Breauxman screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 07:29 PM
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #28
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Breauxman View Post
Big question: Who gets 1x plate and where does it go.
Kamo's Out
Colton going out on his own
What about Weigand???
So will it be like 2009 season when Robby Bell hung the plate (euphemism) on his mantle for a few races and stayed home.

From what I have gathered, unless Tim Weigand enters San Felipe 250, there will be no 1x at the start line.

My take on this is that it is a heavy blow to desert racing in BAJA. Things just won't be the same without HONDA there...

Most all of my money bets against KTM Returning (EURO denominated currency or North American KTM $'s) There's absolutely NOTHING to gain and so much to lose.

Just got off the phone with THR KAWI's Scott Jacobson (Team owner) and asked him if he wanted to comment on the rumors about THR pulling out of BAJA as well:
"Right now we haven't decided. We're talking to Monster (main sponsor) and they might be waiting to see what happens with KTM. I don't think JCR's decision with sway them either way but if there's no competition down there whats the point. It'll be later this month before they (Monster) will decide because they obviously have a lot of stuff going on. Its basically their decision and if they want us to race BAJA we will."

Henge is driving the THR buggy in BITD
and Bob and Robby Bell are kinda burnt out on SCORE Baja...

I personally feel mixed, but mostly sad because I may be out of a job come race day (not that I get paid). Its a big tradition in BAJA and the bikes started the entire show. Now it seems like bikes are just the evil stepchild seated at the small table during thanksgiving...I honor tradition and all that but I am not a big fan a trucks and buggies when they share an event like this with bikes. (as in: Suck it Butch Jenson)

Heres a scenario: If you threw a molotov cocktail into McMillion Racing's pits, the entire McMillan team would come after you with crowbars (While the Herbst and Riviera teams watched on). If you threw that same molotov cocktail at a bike racer's pits, the entire bike community would come after you with all guns out.

My point is: Bikes need their own event and when they do, they really will get more attention and the money may follow. But when you mix bikes and trucks (like SCORE) and then ESPN airs coverage of the BAJA 1000 after christmas, Bike sponsors get ZERO love. Make it about bikes only and they will come.

Venga te
Strong Bad called it a year ago of the "The Bikes are Fucked" it looks like that quote is becoming true
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #29
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post

Strong Bad called it a year ago of the "The Bikes are Fucked" it looks like that quote is becoming true
That was evident during the airing of the race after Xmas. About a 5 sec
mention of the bikes and the KC tragedy! It sucked ass.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #30
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Easy Kanye.
The TRUTH HURTS !!!!!!

Roger Norman HATES the bikes.