Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #241
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Oddometer: 209
Actually, in the pic above, what you see there is the muffler bracket strap, not a shield.
That said, a heat shield definitely wouldn't hurt, especially on a stock 690 muffler with the catalytic converter. Just something to keep the plastic out of direct contact while loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kurtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #242
haildamage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtw View Post
Actually, in the pic above, what you see there is the muffler bracket strap, not a shield.
That said, a heat shield definitely wouldn't hurt, especially on a stock 690 muffler with the catalytic converter. Just something to keep the plastic out of direct contact while loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i dont know buddy. i am often wrong or if you ask my wife i am always wrong...

look carefully, the upwards pointing passenger peg is pointing right at the edge of what i think is a heat shield just barely sticking out from under the bag.
haildamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #243
snoslydr
woodsweapon

Oddometer: 66
snoslydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #244
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
i dont know buddy. i am often wrong or if you ask my wife i am always wrong...

look carefully, the upwards pointing passenger peg is pointing right at the edge of what i think is a heat shield just barely sticking out from under the bag.
Oh! You are not wrong.

That is the stock heat shield on the stock header that mostly protects your heel or passenger's foot. I was thinking more about something to keep the side plastic from the muffler.

kurtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #245
B3EAR
Sheepdog

Oddometer: 127
I just ordered both the new saddlebag setup and the new tank bag. F'ing destroyed my wallet in the process…… But once I receive my new goodies I'm sure I won't regret it. Having only used the Wolfman expedition bags and rack system, this looks like its more up my alley. Plus all the great feedback you all are posting up in this thread helped me make up my mind.

Thanks Fella's!!!

Oh… Hey Wach's! If you're ever in Southern Oregon, PM me, we'll go for a ride and we can discuss your price's…… Just kidding man. But really, I'm down too ride. This years gonna ROCK!!! New KTM 690 - new gear, now new luggage…. Life is good boys, HAHA!!!
B3EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 AM   #246
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Wachs - Can you compare the dimensions of the side of the Hemisphere bag to that of the GL Coyote? Are they the exact same or are there any differences?

Is there any reason why the roll top closure could not be rolled down to seat height when carrying minimal loads? If so, any ballpark figures (or measurements so I can calculate) on capacity in that conifuration?

Great to see you add the grommet drain hole on the Hemisphere sleeve as my old Coyote would not drain when drowned in water. Fantastic to see vendors listen to rider feedback.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #247
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,017
i would like to know if the hemisphere bag will be available as a base bag w/o the roll top bag.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #248
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
More info on the Hemisphere Saddlebag up on the site:
http://www.altrider.com/altrider-hem...id/1467/cid/14

When will we see a video featuring this bag?

I want to see more details of the stash pockets
Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #249
BT4Stroke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Waiting for the shopping cart to open up and not say back ordered let's get on it I need it I want it shipped to me ASAP please.
BT4Stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #250
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,687
Hey Dave,
I knew you were up to something... Great stuff, of course!

I have three questions for you regarding the soft panniers:

1. What are the dimensions of the piece connecting the two soft panniers, the flat piece that goes on top of the seat/rear rack.

a) What is the distance front-to-back of the motorcycle, as it seats on top of the bike. I want to know how far it will advance towards my bike's rear rack. I suppose that piece that lays on top of the seat could possibly be cut/trimmed, for example take a semi circle of fabric to allow it to go around a rear rack, in case someone already has a top box mounted on the rear rack. On one of the pictures as it lays on top of the KTM 950 you can clearly see what needs to be cut to go around that bike's rear rack. And then an adjustment belt (with buckles or something else) could be sewn in to connect the two soft panniers at their most rear points (the part of the bag where I can see there are reinforcements). This adjustable belt would go under the rack, and keep the strength of the connection across the two soft panniers that was lost from cutting the semi circle piece off of the bags. Then the top bag of the system could be placed sideways and shortened to fit the rear seat only, for guys who want to have their top cases.

b) the other dimension of this piece, as it straddles the motorcycle, it seems to be non-adjustable, so it may or may not fit all motorcycles? What is this dimension on this set? Perhaps a velcro or other format with one piece coming from each bag would allow adjustments? Hey, if these suggestions serve as a new idea or variant for the Hemisphere, you owe me a beer! If it sucks, you still owe me a beer for old times sake.

2. What is the height of the two side panniers? Just want to know how long they will hang from the top. It will depend also on the center piece and how it fits a motorcycle, right? It will hang lower on narrower bikes and higher on wider motorcycles.

3. You mentioned you will also produce a set with side panniers with different widths left and right, for motorcycles with a single left or right exhaust. Any news on that? I could see that as a better fit for my Tiger, for example. Or an 1190...

This is an interesting product, I really like the idea of easy access on the lower compartments, on each side. And that the divider between the two compartments gives the bag more structure.

Thanks!
Cesar

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 07:00 AM
Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #251
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
You are correct Sir!

Seriously not trying to drag the details out, but we're very close to answering all questions.

We're so stoked to share this that I couldn't resist!

One more session shooting the whole story - it'll be worth the effort.
Hey thats freaking sweet, Can you fit a shoe in that under pouch dave? I always managed to run out of room in the coyote and had to strap them on somehow or wear my moto boots arond camp.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #252
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post

If those red drybags were rolled down so they protrude no more than 2" above seat height, what would the resultant capacity be ?

Reason I ask is for ease of swinging a leg over a plated dirtbike (in my case KTM500).

Apologies for the delayed response - we're scrambling to finalize some minor details but still progressing nicely into production. Those are 10 liter dry bags that are over-stuffed. Rolling them down to about 8 liters would be no problem. This design might look 'familiar' but these are completely new patterns and carry so much better (lower) than my older layouts. They are also wider (fore to aft) so they stay slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthemarket View Post
Do you think this could be used with the stock exhaust (and a heat shield) without melting the luggage? (KTM 690 Enduro R)
Unless you have a metal shield in place or a stand off (like on a stock Honda XR650R) you will need our heat shield - http://www.altrider.com/luggage-options/cid/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by haildamage View Post
i also want to hear what wachs says on this question. you can see they are using a heat shield in the pic above if you look carefully.
http://www.altrider.com/product/detail/pid/1485

based on past experience, i would definitely use a heat shield with this system and i ordered one for each bike.

i have another question for wachs;

does this system come with a heat shield or do we need to order a heat shield seperately?

Heat shield is sold separately but it's really nice and actually works great!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #253
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3EAR View Post
I just ordered both the new saddlebag setup and the new tank bag. F'ing destroyed my wallet in the process…… But once I receive my new goodies I'm sure I won't regret it. Having only used the Wolfman expedition bags and rack system, this looks like its more up my alley. Plus all the great feedback you all are posting up in this thread helped me make up my mind.

Thanks Fella's!!!

Oh… Hey Wach's! If you're ever in Southern Oregon, PM me, we'll go for a ride and we can discuss your price's…… Just kidding man. But really, I'm down too ride. This years gonna ROCK!!! New KTM 690 - new gear, now new luggage…. Life is good boys, HAHA!!!

Nothing wrong with the Wolfman kit, this is just different. Glad we persuaded you this direction! I'd love to ride Southern Oregon, in fact . . . will PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Wachs - Can you compare the dimensions of the side of the Hemisphere bag to that of the GL Coyote? Are they the exact same or are there any differences?

Is there any reason why the roll top closure could not be rolled down to seat height when carrying minimal loads? If so, any ballpark figures (or measurements so I can calculate) on capacity in that conifuration?

Great to see you add the grommet drain hole on the Hemisphere sleeve as my old Coyote would not drain when drowned in water. Fantastic to see vendors listen to rider feedback.
Thanks. These might seem familiar but after putting many 1000's of miles on my old Coyote design I went back to the drawing board and created completely new patterns. I can't give you dimensions just yet but I know this design carries the load soooooo much better. It's pretty amazing what a couple inches here and there make - NEXT GENERATION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
i would like to know if the hemisphere bag will be available as a base bag w/o the roll top bag.
We are working on that right now. I think it is a good idea but it's a production question versus a marketing strategy and we're coming close a consensus. That is one of the best parts of working with the true industry professionals at ALTrider - I trust them

Old 02-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #254
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
Hey thats freaking sweet, Can you fit a shoe in that under pouch dave? I always managed to run out of room in the coyote and had to strap them on somehow or wear my moto boots arond camp.

You can easily fit a normal human shoe in there but one of yours? Kidding

Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #255
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,017
one of the things i rarely needed with the (cough) coyote bag was the portion over the seat,,, so even if a decision is made to have an option of horseshoe bag or two individual roll bags i'd do the roll bags.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote