User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #1
PPiA OP
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
MSC retrofit to 2013 1190 Adventure

Does anyone know a part number for this upgrade please?
"And most importantly for customers who have already bought an 1190 ADVENTURE or 1190 ADVENTURE R in 2013: From December 2013, both models can be retrofitted with the revolutionary MSC at authorized KTM dealers for 399 Euro (price valid in Germany)."
http://www.ktm.com/news-events/news/...first-msc.html
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
CanningOz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Does anyone know a part number for this upgrade please?
"And most importantly for customers who have already bought an 1190 ADVENTURE or 1190 ADVENTURE R in 2013: From December 2013, both models can be retrofitted with the revolutionary MSC at authorized KTM dealers for 399 Euro (price valid in Germany)."
http://www.ktm.com/news-events/news/...first-msc.html
Pete, Coincidentally I chased this exact thing up and got an answer confirmed through KTM and the dealer today.

No price set as yet for Oz Dealers, but will be within the next few weeks. Have confirmed that it can be retrofitted though. Dealer says I should be safe to book this in for a mid February upgrade.
CanningOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #3
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
The MSC Bosch module can be retrofitted to all 2013 1190 models.
I think the cost will be about $500 bucks, well worth it..
rest assured some dealers may not be aware of this.
However CMC should be on the ball and give you some information.
Talk to Seb..

http://motorbikewriter.com/bosch-saf...m-motorcycles/

KTM Australia marketing and communications manager Greg Chambers says the new Bosch MSC will be fitted to the 2014 1190 Adventure and Adventure R from standard at no extra charge.

“It is also available as a retrofit to the 2013 model for a fee through an authorised KTM V-twin dealer,” he says.

“We are yet to set a price for this and also put the system in place.

“It is a simple matter of uploading a new program to the existing ECU.”

KTM will begin producing the new models with MSC in December.

Check out Bosch’s video (click here) explaining the new MSC.

OrangeV screwed with this post 01-14-2014 at 03:22 AM
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 AM   #4
990s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Its a software upgrade
990s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
PPiA OP
Pete

Deleted my previous post as I had typed the web address incorrectly.

My dealer said they contacted KTM Australia and was told it was not possible.

This is on KTM Australia's website.

http://www.ktm.com/au/news-events/ne...first-msc.html
Old 01-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Deleted my previous post as I had typed the web address incorrectly.

My dealer said they contacted KTM Australia and was told it was not possible.

This is on KTM Australia's website.

http://www.ktm.com/au/news-events/ne...first-msc.html
In Belgium there are already bikes who are retrofitted, so it is possible. Most dealers do it for free, although in the Netherlands it costs 399euro's if i'm not mistaken.
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:55 AM   #7
990s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
As posted above its only a software upgrade and can be done to every 1190 adv. All the hardware is the same, the reason the MSC program was not includet in MY 2013, is it was not finished tested until summer 2013. Your dealer is wrong, or he may be missing the KTM tools to do the job?
990s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 AM   #8
PPiA OP
Pete

My understanding is that the dealership is only telling me what they have been told by KTM Australia.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #9
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
There is more to it besides only a new ECU program. There must be some kind of hardware involved, since the MSC retrofit package is currently in backorder at the importer (no date known yet).
I'm picking up my 2013 1190 R this saturday and will have to go back or wait until the 1000 km service to have it installed later.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Argento
Wannabe adventure

Oddometer: 7
Hi,
Any idea how to check if MSC is actually there?
It is easy to check ABS and MTC, but I wanted to check if MSC is actually on my bike but I couldn't find any reference on the menu.
I have tested using front and rear brakes and it doesn't seem to apply the same way.
thanks
Argento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
Hi,
Any idea how to check if MSC is actually there?
It is easy to check ABS and MTC, but I wanted to check if MSC is actually on my bike but I couldn't find any reference on the menu.
I have tested using front and rear brakes and it doesn't seem to apply the same way.
thanks
------------------------------------
Hello

Let me assist you.

MSC is fitted as a standard on all 2014 1190 Adventure models.

http://motorbikewriter.com/bosch-saf...m-motorcycles/

If you have an 2013 model you will need to have the bosch module fitted by your KTM dealer, between $300-500 usd, you need to check this.

One of the other forum members posted the information below on another page, so i saved it for myself in word document.

It would be useful to read what MSC does and become familiar with it.

Once you do this, let it rip on the roads brother..

This safety feature feature is not fool proof but having your tyres firmly sticking to the pavement while you are leaned over and lifting the front wheel slightly will make you realise how good it is ...
-----

MTC (MOTORCYCLE TRACTION CONTROL)

As an integral part of the MSC package, MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control) also regulates subject to the angle of lean.

It guarantees sporty yet completely controllable propulsion on all surfaces.

Its intervention is indicated with a flashing LED in the VDO multi-function display.

Depending on the engine mode selected by the rider, MTC permits differing levels of rear-wheel slip.

Overall, MTC therefore offers four different characters (plus OFF), selected using the multifunctional switch on the left handlebar grip.

Developed in close collaboration with Bosch, it reacts in a matter of milliseconds if the rear wheel begins to rotate too rapidly for the riding conditions.

It also makes use of the quick intervention time of the ride-by-wire system to reduce propulsion to a safe level, subject to the angle of lean.

Depending on the MTC mode, the EMS (Engine Management System) also makes available a suitable level of power – for example, "only" 100 instead of 150 hp in rain mode.

Four different MTC modes are activated by changing the engine modes:

» Sport: Something for the courageous to try: Allows a respectable and perceptible amount of slippage - drift-feeling all-inclusive!

» Street: Smooth control for comfortable, undisturbed riding with full engine power.

» Rain: Early intervention and minimum slippage in the wet, with engine power reduced to a maximum of 100 hp.

» Offroad: Up to 100 per cent slippage - i.e. double wheel speed - for ambitious offroad use. Have a go at controlled offroad drifts, with engine power reduced to a maximum of 100 hp.

» Off: Those who know better than the MTC can enjoy maximum propulsion at all times, completely to their individual tastes, without electronic assistance.
Engine retarding historically has been accomplished by timing, ie the spark in the combustion cycle.

Since the 1190 has a ride by wire system, twisting the throttle does not actually put more gas through a carburetor or fuel injector.

Instead there is a throttle position sensor that sends a signal to the computer and provides a corresponding amount of gas to the cylinders.

As explained above, in addition to the throttle position sensor the computer is also measuring the lean angle, wheel spin with the motorcycle traction control, and the engine management system (the mode selection). For example when you change the driving mode to off-road, the engine will only produce 100 hp. ie all of these factors essentially retard the engine output to keep the operator safer.

How about we quit debating semantics and go back to enjoying our bikes, :)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #12
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Same her in Brisbane,
The dealer doesn't have a clue ( As usual ).
I contacted KTM Australia directly and they don't know when will be available here, but Its like some one mentioned before.. A software update.
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #13
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Same her in Brisbane,
The dealer doesn't have a clue ( As usual ).
I contacted KTM Australia directly and they don't know when will be available here, but Its like some one mentioned before.. A software update.
It's a small module and a software update....
The chap who sold me the bike, after hearing what i had to say about it
said that i knew more about it then him... i just had small chuckle inside..
Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 AM   #14
dgardel
Orange contaminated

Oddometer: 57
I checked mine (2013) and have ALL module installed!

The upgrade is only SW related

KTM 1190 Adventure S Gray
dgardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #15
Argento
Wannabe adventure

Oddometer: 7
Thanks OrangeV.
I have read almost every post about the KTM 1190 adventure while I was waiting for mine, I have to admit I was like a kid waiting for christmas :), so I have a good idea about what it is and how it is supposed to work.
I just got my bike yesterday (2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R) and I wanted to make sure everything was working ok and that there is nothing missing.
So I was trying to find a way to confirm that MSC is actually fitted on my bike. I guess I will have to open it to find the little device.
The MTC is definitely there since the light is coming on every time I come out of a traffic light :). But I couldn't confirm the ABS yet since I haven't been in a slippery surface yet and it won't activate in the tarmac.

I can't wait for the weekend to go for a nice ride.
Argento is offline   Reply With Quote