User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Insurance Question

Sooooo..... I'm thinking of getting my 17 year old son a Street bike. I'm thinking a SV650, Ninja 650, FZ6 or GSX650F. If I buy and title the bike in my name, and allow my son to ride, would insurance cover it at my rate or would I need to put him as the primary rider and pay out the butt to insure a 17 year old?

Also, this summer he's going to be heading to the Motorcycle Mechanic Institute in Phoenix, AZ. I hope is that we ride out there together on a cross country M/C trip.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,114
Every time I've gotten insurance, they also want the information for all licensed drivers living there -- family, roommates, etc.

Get him (or better yet make him work, save for, buy, and fix up) an older bike and carry liability-only insurance.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
NONE of those bikes are Super Sport bikes. They are all Standards. So long as he does not get in any accidents or start collecting speeding tickets the Insurance on THOSE bikes should not be that bad.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Yeah, well I want to be in control of his first street bike.
If I tell him he has to save and buy his own he's going to come home with some POS ragged out CBGSXR6SSS he finds on the internet.

So, I buy the first bike, I get to pick the first bike. I told him if he rides if for two years, i'll sign the title over and it would be his to do with as he likes. He's had a lot of off road experience and is taking the MSF class next month.

I guess I need to talk to my agent, but she always want more money.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Yeah, well I want to be in control of his first street bike.
If I tell him he has to save and buy his own he's going to come home with some POS ragged out CBGSXR6SSS he finds on the internet.

So, I buy the first bike, I get to pick the first bike. I told him if he rides if for two years, i'll sign the title over and it would be his to do with as he likes. He's had a lot of off road experience and is taking the MSF class next month.

I guess I need to talk to my agent, but she always want more money.
Something old, liability only, it's not going to be much unless you are in Canada.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
NONE of those bikes are Super Sport bikes. They are all Standards. So long as he does not get in any accidents or start collecting speeding tickets the Insurance on THOSE bikes should not be that bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Something old, liability only, it's not going to be much unless you are in Canada.
What these guys said. It'll definitely be cheaper to add him and his bike to your policy than it would've been if he were on his own, and insurance for an old standard is cheap. Amusingly, when I added my newly-licensed (but a fair bit older than 17) girlfriend and an XT225 to my policy, it cost me more to add the bike than the rider (total was still <$50/yr).

And, as always, if you don't like the answer from your insurance, shop. Companies rate differently and the price can be wildly different in some situations. I don't think it's humanly possible to understand how different companies decide what to charge for motorcycle insurance beyond the obvious factors of youth, penis possession, and Japanese sportbike ownership.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Thumperski
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Sooooo..... I'm thinking of getting my 17 year old son a Street bike. I'm thinking a SV650, Ninja 650, FZ6 or GSX650F. If I buy and title the bike in my name, and allow my son to ride, would insurance cover it at my rate or would I need to put him as the primary rider and pay out the butt to insure a 17 year old?
If you get an older, used bike and just get liability insurance, in my experience Rider Insurance seems to be the cheapest. Standard 650cc class in NJ for an old timer like myself is about $120, probably closer to $200 in MD for a 17 year old. A bike like a WR250R costs well under a hundred, so engine displacement is a big factor in pricing as well as performance.

If you must get full coverage for whatever you do get, I believe Progressive seems to be the most reasonable. My FJR 1300A costs $340 a year for full coverage under Progressive. The quote for full coverage from Rider for the FJR was over $700 and some other companies were quoting over a $1000. I recommend you shop around and ask what difference the operator's age makes in the price.
Thumperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:

Also, this summer he's going to be heading to the Motorcycle Mechanic Institute in Phoenix, AZ. I hope is that we ride out there together on a cross country M/C trip.

Sounds to me like you're the one who really wants another bike.
Why such powerful bikes (I know, that's all a matter of perception) for a beginner?

F.W.I.W. I'd look into getting him something without all the plastic that will break on the first tip over or lay down.
I'm 47, been riding since my late teens and have been on 1100 sport bikes down to my current ride which is a TU250X; and find this little bike every bit as much fun (minus the 150mph top speeds) as an 1100 Katana I once had. (I weigh 250 and the TU still hits the 65mph speed limits with no problems)
When I went shopping for Insurance for various models (250/300 Ninjas or anything else with plastic) I was amazed at the premium differences between a Naked vs a plastic paneled bike, even for a guy like me with a clean driving record for over 20+ years.

Hopefully, you'll also convince your Son to take a MCSF course BEFORE he even sets his ass on his own bike. (and many Insurance companies offer a discount for taking the course)

I'd seriously look for an older GS500 (no plastic) or something of that ilk, if you look at midsize bikes, simply to keep the bike from sustaining learner damage and to keep the insurance premiums lower.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,884
Liabilty only

When I was young and dumber, I bought a new CBR. Paid $10,000 for the bike and $300 a month for full coverage until I paid the bike off in 3 months. Then I dropped to liability only, which was $320 for the YEAR.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
I did this two years ago. All bikes are in my name, and he is listed as an additional rider for every bike. The additional cost of adding my son as a rider was negligible over the cost of adding an additional bike with me being the owner. It's a huge savings over him having his own policy, and I get to ride his machine whenever I want

Whatever you do don't get liability only. Mistakes get very expensive, very quickly. Coverage for property damage, personal injury, ect. is very inexpensive compared to the cost of not having it when you need it.

One huge reason for getting a bike without bodywork....repair costs drop dramatically, which in turn reduces your premium. My 125cc scooter (when I had it) cost more to insure than my 750cc standard did, because of the bodywork on the scooter.

k-moe screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 09:32 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
I rode a KE100 when I was 17....I'm sure the insurance was CHEAP....

I'm sure bike selection would play a big factor here....
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #12
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 587
It varies from state to state, but where I am, each vehicle has a primary insured driver unless you have more vehicles than drivers. If you share a car with your son, you are primary and he is secondary. If you buy a 2nd car, you must be primary on one and he is primary on the second. It doesn't matter if both are in your name. Add a third car with only two drivers in the household, and it will be just an additional vehicle. Honestly I'm not sure how bikes are handled, but I imagine it is the same. It's been a long time since I worked in insurance.

I would definitely go with an older, simpler bike for him, especially if you get full coverage. In either case, make sure the agent knows the whole situation and covers you properly. They will help keep you out of trouble down the line.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #13
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
If you share a car with your son, you are primary and he is secondary. If you buy a 2nd car, you must be primary on one and he is primary on the second. It doesn't matter if both are in your name.
^^^This^^^
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Whatever you do don't get liability only. Mistakes get very expensive, very quickly. Coverage for property damage, personal injury, ect. is very inexpensive compared to the cost of not having it when you need it.
Uh, property damage and personal injury coverage generally refers to damage you (or someone on your policy) does to someone else's property or person, and would then (generally, I'm sure there are exceptions) be covered by liability coverage.

In general,

Liability coverage = coverage for liabilities you (or someone on your policy) may incur to someone else

Un- and underinsured motorist coverage = coverage for when another motorist doesn't have (or doesn't have enough) liability coverage for the damage they do to person or property covered by your policy

Collision coverage = coverage for damage you (or someone on your policy) may do to a vehicle covered by that policy

Comprehensive coverage = coverage for acts of God / nature (and, depending on your coverage and jurisdiction, possibly vandalism)

The first two are required in many states, and (IMO) you're playing with fire if you don't have good un- and underinsured coverage on a motorcycle policy.

There's also the question of medical payment coverage for those on your policy. In some cases, your medical insurance may pick up the tab; in others, it may specifically exclude motor vehicle incident-related injuries. I am not a lawyer, but I would expect injuries to passengers of the operator at fault to be covered by that operator's liability coverage, but those passengers may need to sue to prove it.

Anyhow, when I was a new rider on a Ninjette, carrying a lot of liability coverage was really cheap. Adding collision and/or comprehensive got expensive very quickly, so I repaired my own crash damage out-of-pocket, which I'm sure was cheaper than it would have been to claim it even if I had coverage (remember, insurance companies exist to make money, and they're good what they do—if you collect a claim now, you can rest almost always assured that you'll pay for it later).
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
why get him a 600cc bike ?

when i started riding at 17 i got a 125cc bike to use til i had passed my test.
I am saving up for my 1st 600cc sport bike just now as my r100gs i have used sices passing my test 7yrs ago is costing to much to fix.

tell your son if he does the training then passes the bike test then buy him a bike
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote