ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 770
Why would you expect the factory to reimburse the dealer under warranty to install an accessory? I think the reason it states not warranty, is so a dealer doesn't submit a claim for tapping the hole.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #17
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
Why would you expect the factory to reimburse the dealer under warranty to install an accessory? I think the reason it states not warranty, is so a dealer doesn't submit a claim for tapping the hole.
Absolutely. The only reason the hole is there is to mount the optional skid plate. I've seen multiple posts about it being an engine mount that is missing a bolt. That is not true.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
vasculopath OP
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 364
Update

If you're like me, you probably don't have a Tap wrench as long as described by KTM. I have a small set of Taps, but thankfully rarely use them. Don't buy this extension from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Piece of Junk:

This one works, barely reaches, picked it up at local hardware store.

vasculopath screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 12:04 PM
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
motocityktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Some of them are already tapped and some will need it...ask your dealer, it is a 30 sec fix, we have been just doing the fix before the bikes leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
Wierd, but my bike is tapped. I have the KTM skid plate here waiting to get installed. Looks like a nice well built piece.

And cut Chuck some slack. He really does like the 1190 and is a good friend of mine. He is directly responsible for me pulling the trigger on my 1190. I promise that he holds no bad feelings about the new bike.

I get tired of seeing multiple posts on the same subject too. I can see his point.

OP, thanks for putting up the official info. That will answer a lot of questions.
motocityktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #20
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
How to mount the KTM skid plate

I couldn't find a video out there on mounting the KTM 1190 Adventure OEM skid plate so I made one. As usual my videos suck but I hope they will help someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgc7yTX-EeE

FYI I mounted it without tapping the hole. I'll wait and let the shop do that on my next visit. The three points still make for a strong installation for now.
dewaynehasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #21
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,931
That doesn't sound like a good idea. If you're bashing the bottom hard enough to warrant the skid plate, the three legged mount is gonna mess it up.
If it's a Starbucks Mod...then on ya go.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #22
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
The dealer didn't even know it when they were prepping mine, until I pointed it out. The tapped and bolted it free of charge, on the spot.

I pointed it out to another dealer in Arkansas, and they were pretty surprised. He thanked me, and let me know he'd pass it on to the rest of their wrenches.

Fairly easy to do, but BS if the dealer won't cover it.

VM
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #23
Barekat
Looking to get dirty

Oddometer: 220
Isn't the bash plate intended to protect the engine casing? ... and the factory bash plate mounts to the casing... That sound counter intuitive to me.
1984 GPz550
1973 CB350
Barekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #24
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barekat View Post
Isn't the bash plate intended to protect the engine casing? ... and the factory bash plate mounts to the casing... That sound counter intuitive to me.
Sounds like a terrible idea to me.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Hey Barekat, lots of bikes have gone to frame systens that incorporate the engine as part of the structural design. Nearly all of these bikes use either some form of direct or indirect mount points to the engine case. Seemed counterintuitive to me a while back too.

VM

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #26
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

thread lock

Hey does anyone recommend using thread lock on the skid plate bolts?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #27
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

thread lock

Yes do use thread lock. I lost one of the screws already :(

dewaynehasty screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 04:52 PM
Old 03-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #28
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barekat View Post
It gets mounted to the frame and the engine.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #29
red activist
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm having trouble getting the nut out on the left side of the engine casing. Any tips? Did you heat it up to weaken the locktite or just used alot of force on it? I don't want to break the bolt but I also don't want to go back to the shop before it needs it's first servicing since it's not really close to my home...
red activist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #30
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,171
I just installed my KTM skid plate this evening. Tapping the hole was the easiest part. My front engine bolts came out fine, but I used a 3/8 drive Torx socket on a regular ratchet. The 2 issues I had, which made this whole deal take an extra hour:

1. I started with the bike on the center stand, but the CS interfered with the left rear bracket. It wouldn't let the bracket swing forward far enough to line up the holes in the rear of the a skid plate (even though it's obviously shaped to clear the CS when it's up). Finally I put the bike on the side stand, the bracket lined right up, and now there is no inference with the center stand. I finished in the dark so I can't tell if there is any interference now, but the CS seems to be working right.

2. When I pulled out the front engine bolts, I had trouble getting both skid plate / engine mount bolts in. It looked like the engine was dropping down just enough to make it hard to get one or the other bolts started. I used a bottle jack (carefully) to exert a little up pressure on the motor, but eventually put the original bolts back in to line it up again. I think I farted around with these two bolts for over an hour. Maybe my crash bars are a little "crooked" IDK?

I did use Locktite, and I think I can mill the left side to allow removal of my oil screens with out taking the whole plate off at oil change time.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote