Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #31
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
That would work. Until I can get eyes on it, it's hard to tell from pics how easy it'll be to upgrade the capacity.
My guess is that it would replace the front side panels... it woudl only need to be 13L to get the total to 30L... I emailed CCM and asked them to clarify. I will post when I get an answer.

windquest screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 02:51 PM
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #32
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 188
Whats everyone so worried about the fuel capacity for? My Dakar has 17L and that's more than enough for most stuff in canada. I went to baja where you need like 100-120 miles and that's in the desert in the middle of nowhere... a 450 should be consuming less fuel. If you actually ride it off road then you are not going to want 30L (~20kg) of fuel way up high on the front of the bike. The $12k price tag doesn't seem so bad to me. it's all high end stuff like you'd find on the insanely overpriced KTM's we are comparing them to. Not to mention that taking a KTM 450/500/690 and making it into this bike would be waaaay more expensive (rally kit etc.). I suppose there will always be haters because it's not a BMW or a KTM but remember- there was a day when people likely said the same thing about KTM's, BMW's, Hondas etc. The first honda Civic was considered to be crap and now it's the best selling car in canada. Keep an open mind people. this is exactly the kind of bike we need in western canada. Polycarbonate maintanence free suspension linkage bearings? Adjustable on the fly rear shock? instant 10 hp upgrade? 5000km service intervals? new manufacturer pushing the boundaries when the big guys sit back and collect sales on 10 year old designs? Seriously guys, what's not to like here? I for one am stoked to ride it, really hoping for a demo day in Calgary. It would be perfect for the longer off road routes in the states (TAT, BDR etc) as well as lots of the mountain stuff in the front ranges and back roads in BC where light weight is everything and you need lots of fuel range to get in and out. sure it's not a 990 or a GSA but that's kinda the point isn't it? We have lots of choices in the huge ADV bike class and everyone is developing new models there. what's in this bikes class? DRZ 400? KTM 450/500? 690? Sertao? KLR? on paper it has major advantages in some areas over all these bikes. wait till you ride one, you might be surprised.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #33
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
Whats everyone so worried about the fuel capacity for?
Not everyone. Just me so far.

My requirements are obviously not yours.

I agree that more choice is better. Nothing is maintenance free, btw. Marketing speak. To be expected. I paid 12k for a 640 Adv new. Is this a better bike than that? I'll wait and see.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #34
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 776
I agree that more choice is better. Nothing is maintenance free, btw. Marketing speak. To be expected. I paid 12k for a 640 Adv new. Is this a better bike than that? I'll wait and see.[/QUOTE]

And somebody in Inverary is still riding it...

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #35
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Not everyone. Just me so far.

My requirements are obviously not yours.

I agree that more choice is better. Nothing is maintenance free, btw. Marketing speak. To be expected. I paid 12k for a 640 Adv new. Is this a better bike than that? I'll wait and see.

Better is relative

Lighter? Yes

For me this bike looks perfect for day rides on tight trails, longer trips on technical terrain, etc

A 450 with 5k oil changes....awesome!!!!

I foresee me and the wife having a serious chat

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #36
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,258
I saw this bike at the Edmonton show today.
Pretty interesting and it looked sharp all kitted out. The price is a bit steep
and I'd worry a bit about it being an orphan in the future. 450 seems a bit small to me
but if I lived in Southern Ontario or BC I'd consider it.
I like my 640 for the longer drone to get to the interesting stuff here and having a huge tank helps.
Nevermind being over 220lbs might be a bit more work than that bike was meant for.
GP640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #37
Wesley J
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
I think this is right where proper adventure bikes need to be. Other than the motor and reliability, its probably better in every way than my XR650R was. My XRR required a pile of work to get it street legal and fully kitted out but it was completely rediculous off road. I could put the small tank on it and ride with the little 450 dirtbikes. The next week, swap a front sprocket, drop on the Valdez (Acerbis 6.6 gal.) and attach the giant loop and Bob's you uncle, instant adventure dirt bike that could cruise at 130 kmh.

This is the kind of bike that has been sorely missing from the Adventure Genre.

I look forward to seeing it on Monday at the Old Bike Shop.

Cheers,

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #38
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
Tank Size!

Wouldn't worry too much. Your tank is only as big as the smallest tank in your group. Looks interesting. Don't see many being sold at that price and an unknown to boot. Good to have more selection though. As for dualsports, there are more in that size class than the big adventure bikes mentioned.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #39
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
nice

counted the money in my sock drawer. when is it available for sale ??
maybe i can sell a well used kidney.

north rider

NORTH RIDER screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 08:55 AM
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #40
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post

north rider
Got some pretty nice winter socks at the local thrift store last week. Fifty cents a pair......same socks they sell at the local clothing store for $7-8.00 +Tax.

So that's $7-8.00 in the bank X 2.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #41
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post

north rider
Or maybe you can sell an Africa Twin !!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #42
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Or maybe you can sell an Africa Twin !!!!
Heretic.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #43
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,528
Noticed from the photo and Correct me if I am wrong! but to register a bike! it has to meet certain safety requirements. If not mistaken a chain guard is required, at least in Manitoba ?

The bike looks interesting over all and I would be very tempted to take it to Moab. I have a little unfinished business there, though I don't know if my body is willing to keep up to the mind.

Is anyone concerned about it being a first run bike... I remember taking my F800 GS to the dealer for a number of recalls? Is there going to be dealer support throughout Canada for CCM. There are relatively large gaps in the existing network. For example BMW in New Market Ontario and then next in Winnipeg.

I will keep an eye on this one and see how it progresses.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #44
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
ccm

KTM , TRANSALP AND DR BIG will be going up for sale.
i was really hoping Yamaha would bring their tenere 660 to Canada.

the CCCM looks good enough for me .if i sell the above mentioned bikes this one is the front runner for my new bike.

north rider
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #45
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
Fuel

I think is is a great bike and should fill a void that is missing in the adventure riding bikes. Ya ya there are better ones but the big bike makers are tell us that bigger is better for adv riding, think not. My 690 with 12L could get 225km or so if I took it easy, so why couldn't a 450 with 17L get around 320km or so? With taking it easy and at 40hp? I agree that the price is high but prob worth every penny. I would buy this over a larger adv type bike any day of the week.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote