Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #76
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
I had a long chat with the CCM importer today at the Vancouver MC show.

He informed me that Touratech had been checking out the bike.
So hopefully a larger tank, different skid plate and a high fender kit will be available.

If my 640 had a lot more miles on it, I think I would seriously look at buying a CCM.....

Cheers
Old 01-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #77
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next? View Post
Whats everyone so worried about the fuel capacity for? My Dakar has 17L and that's more than enough for most stuff in canada. I went to baja where you need like 100-120 miles and that's in the desert in the middle of nowhere... a 450 should be consuming less fuel. If you actually ride it off road then you are not going to want 30L (~20kg) of fuel way up high on the front of the bike. The $12k price tag doesn't seem so bad to me. it's all high end stuff like you'd find on the insanely overpriced KTM's we are comparing them to. Not to mention that taking a KTM 450/500/690 and making it into this bike would be waaaay more expensive (rally kit etc.). I suppose there will always be haters because it's not a BMW or a KTM but remember- there was a day when people likely said the same thing about KTM's, BMW's, Hondas etc. The first honda Civic was considered to be crap and now it's the best selling car in canada. Keep an open mind people. this is exactly the kind of bike we need in western canada. Polycarbonate maintanence free suspension linkage bearings? Adjustable on the fly rear shock? instant 10 hp upgrade? 5000km service intervals? new manufacturer pushing the boundaries when the big guys sit back and collect sales on 10 year old designs? Seriously guys, what's not to like here? I for one am stoked to ride it, really hoping for a demo day in Calgary. It would be perfect for the longer off road routes in the states (TAT, BDR etc) as well as lots of the mountain stuff in the front ranges and back roads in BC where light weight is everything and you need lots of fuel range to get in and out. sure it's not a 990 or a GSA but that's kinda the point isn't it? We have lots of choices in the huge ADV bike class and everyone is developing new models there. what's in this bikes class? DRZ 400? KTM 450/500? 690? Sertao? KLR? on paper it has major advantages in some areas over all these bikes. wait till you ride one, you might be surprised.
^^^^^^^ +1 Thank you for saving me writing this. It's 286 lbs dry you guys!!!!!!! It looks good. The standover height is nice for anybody between 5'9" and 6'. It seems like this is a bike you could actually take on some gnar trails. It's like an English KTM 690. Sorta. And it looks great.
All bikes are a compromise. This one seems to make the fewest concessions. I sat on it and talked to the fellows at the Vancouver Show. Nicely put together bike! I am curious about pillion and luggage options (apart from the bags they had, which were nice, but precluded a passenger), and the 12k doesn't seem that high for a well engineered product. 17L tank seems good for most I would think, From what I understand these engines are a real world 4.8L or so per 100Km's. I like the idea of a cable clutch. You can always stash a cable in your bars or somewhere. 6 of one , half dozen of the other.
Oh, and did I mention that it looks great?
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #78
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 862
Calgary Debut

The Calgary Debut of the new CCM GP 450 was very interesting and hosted by the great folks and new distributors of the bike, The Old Motorcycle Shop. This was my first time in there and it was an "old school" shop with very friendly, down to earth people running the place. They did a great job hosting everyone that showed up!

The bike looks and feels like a quality piece of work, with high end components and a solid, well balanced and light feel.

I took a ton of close up pictures before the crowd arrived since I work close by and was early. I will post some now and the rest tomorrow.

You need to have a look at this bike before you make any conclusions about it. I am told a demo rider will be coming!!

Find them Here: https://www.facebook.com/ccmmotorcycle

Lycan1 screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 02:21 PM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #79
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Great reveal. Great shop, welcome feel. Thanks to all of you whom put this on. The eats were excellent, beer was cold. The bike was very nice. Importers honest about what they knew. Well done, looks like a winner!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #80
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Just how big a pain will it be to change out that counter shaft sprocket? Looks annoying.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #81
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Just how big a pain will it be to change out that counter shaft sprocket? Looks annoying.
Oh I agree. From a standpoint of ideal action it is in a perfect place, but from a user standpoint it will be aggravating. It isn't a job that has to be done more than once a year for me anyway. I have some close ups I'll post tonight after work.

Lycan1 screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 02:16 PM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #82
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Oh I agree. From a standpoint of idea action it is in a perfect place, but from a user standpoint it will be aggravating. It isn't a job that has to be done more than once a year for me anyway. I have some close ups I'll post tonight after work.
If you take a look at the youtube video which shows the entire bike being assembled in 3D you can see how the front sprocket is bolted in place, looks a lot easier there then I would have imagined...
Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #83
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Options from factory.

Here are some screen snips from the UK web site.

Shows what the little triangular plates are for on the fairing.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #84
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
If it is like the Husky split pin it is a 10-15 minute job in the garage after the first time, out and about as you are also opening up the swing arm bearings you need to make sure it is pretty clean around the area being worked on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drckE...e_gdata_player

Or breaking the chain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uujZbPIMnPE
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #85
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Close Up and Personal

Some of the shots that I took at the Debut.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #86
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
using the mapping for going from 40hp to 50hp and voiding the engine warranty kinda blows eh! sweet looking bike,

"Power Plug
Plugs directly into wiring loom to give increased power to 50bhp. * Voids engine warranty."

I may just give up the 690 for this..
Old 01-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #87
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
using the mapping for going from 40hp to 50hp and voiding the engine warranty kinda blows eh! sweet looking bike,

"Power Plug
Plugs directly into wiring loom to give increased power to 50bhp. * Voids engine warranty."

I may just give up the 690 for this..
reasonable question: has anyone ever actually had a major engine problem covered by warranty?

Lets go to the experts on this...

don't get me wrong, if I lay out $12K I want a warranty. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever actually used it before? Did Kawasaki cover the KLR's with the oil burning problem? how quickly would/could CCM/Old Bike Shop replace/repair the engine? Keep in mind, I'm not talking about recalls or updates because those would still apply (I assume) and stem from the MFG experience servicing and supporting the product- in addition to race experience I suppose.

My view of a warranty is that it would cover MFG defects and assure a level of performance based on the operating conditions the MFG tested the product in and the conditions in which it was delivered to the buyer. Go outside the testing conditions or modify it and I would expect the warranty not to apply. if you run high altitude jetting at sea level and burn the engine down is it warranty? if I read somewhere that the internal engine forces increase with the square of the RPM and that the big gain in "reliability" with the engine was achieved by lowering the rev limiter. I'm going to suggest that voiding the warranty with the 50 hp plug might have more to do with simply putting the operating parameters outside the testing that CCM did rather than being some sort of guarantee that you will have an engine grenade on your hands. And even if you did would it be covered if you deprived yourself of a 25% HP increase?

Not trying to start an argument here. Just asking.... ever actually used a warranty?
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #88
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 929
warranty

well as I stated before but was informed parts are from other bikes on the market. Sure CCM wants to build the best product they can and hope that there is no problems with it. I think f i put out 12k then i would hope that they warranty the bike, but as tommy boy says it is only as good as the person behind it. So in my eyes that would fall on the dealer you buy it from and will they fight for you? as for the power mod for an extra10hp could you not just pull the plug when you bring it in? or does it remap it forever?
I have said it before this is an awesome bike and the first since the ktm 640. just looking at the pictures they made this a true adv bike. now i am not comparing the two or saying they are the same, just adv type smaller bikes. KTM dropped the ball on the 690 avdenture and CCM picked it up and ran with it. Well so did other bike companies .
I think when i am older and my brain starts to catch up with me this will fill that void, but till them I will let the old guys like shipwreck give them a go .

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #89
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 136
Thanks Lycan for the detail shots, very nice.
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #90
klxmack OP
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimo368 View Post
Thanks Lycan for the detail shots, very nice.

+1

thanks
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote