Pray4Snow OP
Saddle Monkey

Oddometer: 95
The Alberta-to-Cape Breton Express!

Big Trip 2013
Edmonton to the East Coast

Pre-trip
January, 2013

Apparently, we’re getting better at this ‘separate-but-together’ holiday plan thing (as previously chronicled in 2011 (to Ontario) and 2012 (to Vancouver Island, and the US Pacific NW)). Two years ago, we had taken (what we thought) would be our last bi-annual trip to the in-laws place .. With both their daughters and grand-daughters now living in God’s country (also known as Alberta), they had decided to sell their lake house in the Muskoka region of Ontario and move west. Well, that was the plan. The softening of the economy made the lake-house market pretty sketchy, and after two years of half-heartedly trying to sell the place, they were still there. So we started thinking that, perhaps, we’d get a reprieve at visiting Dickie Lake. And so it was that we found ourselves chatting about holiday plans. On Jan 13, 2013, as we watched our valiant Seahawks (properly pronounced “Sea – HAAAAAWKS!!!”) battle the Falcons, in the middle of a cold, blustery, (ie. typical) Edmonton winter, the following conversation (mostly) took place.

Mrs P4S: “What are you thinking for summer holidays this year?”

Me: “Shhhhhhh …. We’re within scoring distance”

Mrs P4S: “If Mom and Dad haven’t sold the lake house by this summer, do you want to go to Ontario again?”

Me, completely losing my shit “HOLY F***!! WE JUST TOOK THE LEAD FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE GAME, AND THERE’S ONLY 30 SECONDS LEFT!! COME ON WILSON!!”

Mrs P4S: “You could ride again”

< silence … as the Falcons kick a 49-yard field-goal in the dying seconds of the game, and my interest in the NFL vanishes for another season>

Mrs P4S: “And if you wanted to use up some of your banked holidays and stop hording them like a little bitch, you could even ride to the east coast and visit your family in the Maritimes.” <paraphrasing>

< half-beat of silence …. as visions of the Cabot Trail penetrate the quickly thinning football-fog between my ears>

Me: “Done! Now hush woman, and get me a beer! I need to start route-planning!” <dialog completely fictional>

At the time, I had a metric buttload of unused holidays, and could conceivably take an extended block of time off, if my employer would go for it. Oh well … I had 6-7 months to work on that.

So over the course of the next few months, I began route planning. I had done the prairies before two years earlier, and could afford to haul-ass through there in order to allow myself as much time as possible out east. Based on the last trip, I knew it would be around 5 days to north-central ON, and I should allow myself around 5 days to return. I wanted to have around 2 weeks at the lake (you can’t RUSH quality lake-time). I figured 4.5 to 5 weeks was all I could afford to be away from work (there were other things brewing on that front). This meant only having in the neighbourhood of a week to do the eastern leg (ON to the Maritimes and back to ON). Having family on the east-coast meant I’d need (and truthfully, wanted) to allow some time for visiting and catching up with whichever members of the clan would be around when I rolled through. I chewed on this one for a while … should I bother making a rushed trip of it? Or just say screw-it, and spend an additional week relaxing lake-side. In the end, I decided that if the in-laws do eventually sell their place, I may not have an ‘excuse’ to ride the AB to ON leg again … more than half the distance from home to the east coast. A rushed trip it would have to be!

This was the plan up-until the day I left ... which then got forgotten within a couple of km's from the house.

Pray4Snow screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 09:15 AM
Pray4Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Pray4Snow OP
Saddle Monkey

Day 1 – July 13, 2013
Edmonton, AB to Colonsay, SK
638 kms

• Got on the road around 10am, and decided to scrap the planned route down Hwy 16 (did it last time) and try Hwy 14. How’s that for being ‘spontaneous’ … scrapped the plan before I had even left town. Actually, it was more a factor of not having a lot of opportunities for alternate routes around the north shore of the Great Lakes, so I might as well play fast and loose with the plan while I have some options.

• Joined back up to Hwy16 at the Battlefords. From here to somewhere around Sudbury, ON my route would be largely the same as two years ago … didn’t bother with many pics or videos

• Dodged storms all day, but didn’t get rained on. It was around 14C when I left YEG, and it never really got above 16C. I friggin’ froze. My choice of clothing under my riding gear was heavily influenced by the weather the last time I did this route (hotter than shit) … didn’t pay enough attention to the weather report today!

• I camped at Painted Rock … just west of Colonsay, SK. It was small … 20 or so sites. There must be a construction crew working in the area, because it’s all dudes in nice trailers/trucks, with grubby work clothes hanging on lines.

• The remote for the Drift (helmet cam) seems to be F-ed again … didn’t even last a day. Will have to monkey with it when I get a chance ... and when there's some road worth recording ... pretty flat and straight here.

• This campsite is crawling with birds … robins mostly … thick as fleas. There’s not a chance in hell I’ll be sleeping in tomorrow AM. Hopefully the bike doesn't 'turn white' overnight.

• Tunes: “Ride Mix” all day long

• Libation: Sullivan Cove single malt whiskey

• Stick: Guantanamera Habana

• Watched some “Chappelle’s Show” on the netbook while smokin’ and drinkin’ … nothing but class!

• Will shoot for Portage tomorrow, depending on weather. Will make for a short day to Kenora the following day.

Pray4Snow screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 06:24 PM
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
drmacaulay
letsrun.com

Oddometer: 78
Looking forward to your report... Eager to read about your impressions of mid-western, the plains, central Canada, vs. eastern Canada.

Especially looking forward to your notes on future events, and what lies ahead for us all in the summer of 2014. (I think you dated your first entry incorrectly....)

www.drmexploits.blogspot.com
drmacaulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,554
Let's go

Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Pray4Snow OP
Saddle Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmacaulay View Post
Looking forward to your report... Eager to read about your impressions of mid-western, the plains, central Canada, vs. eastern Canada.

Especially looking forward to your notes on future events, and what lies ahead for us all in the summer of 2014. (I think you dated your first entry incorrectly....)
Good catch ... first day on the road was July 2013 ... fixed!
I had a good introduction to the prairies and central Canada a couple of years ago ... see 2011. Based on that ride, you'll notice I didn't stop and smell the roses on the prairies this year. Sort of blew through to western ON before I started taking much in the way of pics or video.
Plans for this summer will be different this year ... started a new job, and can't really take such a big block of holidays. Thinking week-ish trips to BC and maybe Montana and Colorado.
P4S

Pray4Snow screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 08:33 AM
Old 02-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
zcd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
As a caper in YEG I'm interested for the rest of this ride!
zcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
Pray4Snow OP
Saddle Monkey

Day 2 – July 14
Colonsay, SK to Portage la Prairie, MB
635 kms

• Up at 7am (thank-you wee birdies) … on the road around 8am.

• Everything was soaking wet due to heavy dew … tent was packed up wet.

• Couldn’t find any place for brekky. I stopped in three little towns on the highway, all with the international symbol for ‘eatery’ (knife, fork, and plate) on the signs describing the services available, but after getting off the highway and following the signs, either the restaurant was closed indefinitely or not open until lunch.

• Got to Lanigan and headed to the Esso for fuel and information on a spot for breakfast. Asked the young kid behind the till about the new restaurant I had passed on the way into town. Received an incredibly detailed and highly racist review …he accused the proprietors of ‘promoting goat meat’!

• Pushed on to Dafoe Corner and finally found a restaurant … the “24/7”. A strange cultural mix … very North American menu, Russian-speaking staff, and what appeared to be east Indian programming on the TV.

• Pushed on to Portage. Opted for the same campground that I stayed in last time (Miller’s). The tent was still sopping wet, but dried in about 10 minutes once it was up.

• I had some interesting neighbours in the camp spot next to me. As I was setting up camp, she received a call and from the loud, profanity-laden, one-sided conversation I caught, had her 6th-floor apartment broken into via the hole left by removing the window-mounted A/C. He was a skinny dude in sweat-pants and a wife-beater shirt named Daryll. She had a bad dye job and big fake cans, named …. wait for it … Diamond. Super friendly folks, but they definitely had their share of issues, and weren’t shy about sharing the drama. In addition to the break-in, they also explained that neither one of them had worked in a number of years because both were on disability from car accidents. They were highly medicated, and although they were camping there for a week, they were going to have to drive the few hours east to Kenora in order to refill some prescriptions (their health-care was in ON). She was also suffering from some sort of dental ailment (she tried to show me, but I didn’t really want a look) and was already half-snapped on meds. After a number of trips over to visit my site, Diamond confessed that the ‘real’ reason she kept going into the small second tent that they had set upon their site, was not to feed the two lap dogs they had tied up to a lawn chair (the first unsolicited explanation she gave), but rather to partake of some medical marijuana. Again, she offered, and I declined. We chatted about bikes for a bit. Diamond claimed to have won third place in something called the World of Wheels in Alberta (I have a vague recollection of a car and bike show by this name from the 80’s) for a soft-tail HD. If she had those cans in the 80's, it probably didn't hurt competitively. I tried looking it up online later in the trip, but couldn’t find anything.

• Journaling went all to hell with the big fake-cans and weed-offers.

• I went to bed, and watched some South Park on the netbook. They were still at it when I turned off the videos and put in the earplugs.

• Tunes: Sheepdogs – various albums. ( FANTASTIC soundtrack for making miles across SK); The Police – Greatest Hits Double Album; Dirty Heads – Any Port in a Storm; Headstones – Love + Fury

• Smoke: Macanudo

• Scotch: The MacAllan 18yr

(I promise ... the riding gets better ... just need to get out of the land of straight roads!)

Pray4Snow screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 05:57 AM
Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
Pray4Snow OP
Saddle Monkey

Day 3 – July 15
Portage la Prairie, MB to Kenora, ON
324 kms

• Up around 7:30 local time (5:30 AB time … I think)

• Daryl and Diamond had been fairly insistent the night before that they weren’t drinkers … weed and whatever ‘scripts had been prescribed for her tooth were the extent of their consumptive vices. However this morning, their campsite was littered with empty beer cans. No sign of life at their campsite at this hour.

• Grabbed brekky at Lucie’s diner (at the Shell station) around 8:30.

• Nice day for a ride … pretty uneventful. Must have missed the time-change. I thought it was well after lunch when I hit Kenora. Arrived at Ray and Loretta’s place right around lunch-time.

• Burnt my wrists again – had to pull out my sock-gauntlets.

• An easy ride to Kenora ... really hot!!

• Went to the Lake of the Woods Brewing Company with Ray for lunch. The place was new, built in the old fire hall (lots of fire-fighting decorations … even still have the pole!) Hot waitresses, good food, and cold beer on a day over 30-degrees C.

• Met up with Jeff and Dave and their families again. The kids are definitely bigger. Everybody seems to be doing well.

• Had a great visit, but looking forward to tomorrow. Taking a different route to Thunder Bay than I took last time, and staying at Sleeping Giant Provincial Park again. Hopefully this nice weather will hold, and I can do the lookout-road again.

• Tunes: Rheostatics – Double Live

• Smoke: none

• Libation: Beer … lots and lots of beer!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Pray4Snow OP
Saddle Monkey

Day 4 – July 16
Kenora, ON to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park.
626 kms

• Beautiful morning leaving Kenora … so of course this prairie kid had to stop for some the requisite pics along the waterfront.

• Leaving Kenora, I opted for the route through Fort Frances. Roughly the same distance, but less highway and more secondaries. The bit from Kenora to Emo was nice and twisty, but enough traffic to prevent me from really opening it up … probably a good thing. After Emo, the landscape got a bit more agricultural, and the road straightened out. Stopped in the McD’s in Fort Frances for and ice-coffee and some free wifi. There was a posting for a job I was interested back at home, and I needed to pull my CV from home.

• Spent an hour at Fort Frances, dicking around with the internet connection and my Citrix setup at home.

• The gas station/restaurant at the north end of the Sleeping Giant PP road was closed. I was planning on that station for fuel and brekky … not really sure where the next fuel might be … will have to deal with it in the morning.

• Not sure what time I rolled into Marie Louise Lake … 7:30pm or so.

• Had some visitors during dinner … strolled right into campsite. (came up behind me … scared the shit out of me?)

• Nice night, sunny with a light breeze coming off the water … clear sky. Loons calling on the lake.

• Tunes: Rush – Greatest Hits; The Trews – Den of Thieves; The Trews – Friends and Total Strangers (a little foreshadowing for later in the trip ).

• Smoke: pipe with Exec. Blend/Thrilla Vanilla mix

• Libation: Bowmore triplets … 12. 15, 18 year.

The triplets … clothed

… and the triplets naked!

Pray4Snow screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 05:52 PM
Old 02-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Thanks, your style of travel is outstanding.
Looking forward to the remainder of your ride.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Well, you need to keep going!
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
Pray4Snow OP
Saddle Monkey

Day 5 – July 17
Sleeping Giant Provincial Park, ON to Pancake Bay, ON
652 kms

• Heard rain around 5am … pretty hard, but didn’t last long.

• Bugs were a bit thick this morning … worse than last night. Made breaking camp that much faster.

• Started raining again just as I finished loading the bike … not hard, and didn’t last long.

• Went to Silver Islet … was still bugging me that I blew it off last time I was here … a nice little seasonal village … was there too early to get coffee, so I just wandered around the waterfront for a few minutes, took some pics, and then got back on my way.

• Monkeyed around with the Drift remote for a few minutes so I could grab some footage on the road out.

• Did the Thunder Bay lookout again … was well worth the trip … AGAIN! I even managed to get the drift working long enough to shoot some helmet-cam footage. I’ve distilled the footage of the way in and the way out down to a few minutes. Lots of excitement … wildlife, a suicidal wood-chuck, some bare-rock riding, and enough lens flares to give J. J. Abrams a run for his money!

The road in ...

... and the road out

• Grabbed fuel and brekky in Nippigon … around 11am … I think … not sure what time it is again … doesn’t really matter. I eat when I’m hungry, drink when I’m thirsty, rest when I’m tired … must be a good vacation!

• For the second day, I noticed that you can totally tell which transports are hauling pulp … smells like cut green wood. Nice!

• Pulled into Pancake Bay (after stopping for off-sales at the service station/convenience store near the entrance) in good time. Had a couple of beers while setting up camp, and then went for a quick swim before dinner.

Bringin’ a little of the west-coast eastward

• Had the shepherds’ pie (Backpackers Pantry) … MUCH better than the turkey-noodle sludge I had last night.

• Got mildly scalded while cooking dinner. Was cooking under a huge pine, when a pine cone dropped into the boiling water like a friggin’ depth-charge. Nothing like a little danger!!

• Tunes: The ‘Hip- “We Are the Same”; Ride mix; Girl Talk – “All Day”

• Stick: Cohiba

• Libation: Patron Silver (no picture for some reason)

• South Park episode: s13e12 - “The ‘F’ Word” … always funny! Makes me giggle every time I see a HD-douchebag!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #13
The Flounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Stogies and cycles

Appreciate the details on Stogies and Libations, certainly key parts of a good journey.
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 AM   #14
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 479
Nice ride! My girlfriend wants to do the opposite, we live in NS, she's never seen the prairies and wants to ride west to see the flat land.
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #15
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Appreciate the details on Stogies and Libations, certainly key parts of a good journey.

Agreed,

A nice selection of cigars and good drink makes for a much more relaxing trip IMO.

My personal faves are Cuban "Punch" coronas and El Tesoro, paradiso Tequila, although I'm perfectly happy with any number of good cigars and decent spirits.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote