User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
ryangus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Viet Nam, Laos or Cambodia

I mate and I are wanting to do a bike trip/tour through one of these places. We're both reasonably competent on and off road, without being Crusty Demons.

Whilst I usually like to beat my own path, he's suggesting we go on an organised tour, where everything is supplied (bikes, accommodation, food etc). Must admit, I'd be a bit dubious about hiring a bike and doing it unassisted.

Offroad is probably the preference, although I'd like to do a blacktop tour of Viet Nam, so maybe a combination might be good.

I've travelled through these countries previously, but only ridden scooters in Laos, so sort of know what to expect.

Anyone able to recommend a good tour company that would fit the bill, and any other pertinant advice and sites to check out?
ryangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,011
I have traveled a bit in Viet Nam, train, bus, boat, NOT bike...
I did meet two groups of guys, and they rented 125cc bikes in Saigon,(ho chi men city) in the south, and were riding to Hanoi, the North, no time frame from the rental company, once in Hanoi they could put the bikes on the train and ship them back to the rental place and fly home out of Hanoi.
sorry I cant remember who? they made it sound as if it was easy enough to find...

I'm really wanting to go back and do that...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge Gonzαlez
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Angus1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
As far as bike tourism goes, you'd certainly have more choice in Vietnam, no shortage of places to rent a bike, or get an organised tour. My suggestion though, would be to go to Vietnam, and buy a bike. Easy enough to do, they stay registered with whoever first registered them, just a case of getting a blue card with another blokes name on it. $200-400 range for something that'll work, and you get to sell it at the end. No problems either crossing into cambodia on a vietnamese plated bike, and selling it there. Not sure about Laos, I would imagine a small payment at the border would sort any issues out though. And you'll get into far more interesting situations without a guide

If you're set on a guided tour, I heard good things about flamingo travel, based in Hanoi.

Vietnam and Cambodia 2013
Angus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #4
trailcutter

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
I have traveled a bit in Viet Nam, train, bus, boat, NOT bike...
I did meet two groups of guys, and they rented 125cc bikes in Saigon,(ho chi men city) in the south, and were riding to Hanoi, the North, no time frame from the rental company, once in Hanoi they could put the bikes on the train and ship them back to the rental place and fly home out of Hanoi.
sorry I cant remember who? they made it sound as if it was easy enough to find...

I'm really wanting to go back and do that...

Saigon scooter centre.....
Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #5
Cosy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
G'day mate, myself and a group of mates rode in Cambodia for two weeks, we had a ball, we went with a company called Red Raid based in Phnom Penh, google them, could not fault them, they have several diferent tours. We went in February, we rode Honda xr 250 bikes they are plenty big enough.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
towboatcrisco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Vietnam

Hey Ryngus..... I'm just back from Vietnam spent a month there . Awesome . Ive done most of S.E.A in 2011 except Vietnam . Myself and my girlfriend were on bikes / scooters for about 12 days total different place's different companies , and different tours. I have one person/ place I would recommend , and that I will be goin back too

http://cuongs-motorbike-adventure.com/

His name is Cuong and he does it all and is not the run of the mill tour company/ guy . He will assess you and your mates ability and he will take you to the top of it !! it is all inclusive ( except Alcohol ) but again choice is involved . check it out pick his brain tell him what your lookin for and see what happens you wont be disappointed . Oh did I mention he has 90 bikes to choose from ...

Good luck to you and I'm jealous wish I was back there still
towboatcrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
trying
greenhorn

Oddometer: 4
When are you planning to do this?

Hi:

Who wants to do VN (Saigon), Laos (Vientieng, Luang Prabang), Burma (Bagan, inlay lake), Cambodia (Seam Reap) and ends in Thailand (Ko Samui) beginning about March 1st in Saigon?

I am a 55 yo VNese American male in Wash DC. I have driven VN, Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand but not Burma yet. I am a tourist and a motorcycle rider.

I am NOT a tour guide nor I am representing any groups in any form.

My plan is to fly to Saigon, buy a used bike (125 cc) head North to Hanoi, cut West to Sapa, swing South to Dien Bien Phu, cross into Vientieng, Laos, cross into Burma, head south to Bagan, cross east into Seam Ream then South to Ko Samui. Donate the bike, bus to Bangkok and fly home.

Any rider?
trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:48 AM   #8
ryangus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Just spotted this T-shirt on Archer (best show ever). Cuong is definitely da man!

ryangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying View Post
My plan is to fly to Saigon, buy a used bike (125 cc) head North to Hanoi, cut West to Sapa, swing South to Dien Bien Phu, cross into Vientieng, Laos, cross into Burma, head south to Bagan, cross east into Seam Ream then South to Ko Samui. Donate the bike, bus to Bangkok and fly home.
Burma is not 100% impossible any more, but also it is not very easy, and will not happen just by popping up at the border and hoping to get in. You will have to arrange it well in advance, a bit like China actually. Most likely will cost you a bit to do this as well.

Otherwise this tour looks quite realistic, though I dunno if having a temp imported bike in Thailand, that you just ΄donate΄, might give you some trouble, if you try to re-enter Thailand later on.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote