Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
RexBuck
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Have the RBC Platinum Avion. The Avion program was the best since you can book any flight - no blackouts like the airline specific cards. Used to be able to put a trip together on the internet, call the Rewards travel agent and book it.

That has changed a bit in the last couple of years. So, here are a few points you need to be aware of when using that card for travel.

1) Still book any flight but now they do everything through Travelocity which is not necesarily the cheapest. So, on an international flight they allow me to spend up to $2000 . . . I may find one for $1600 but Travelocity may show it as $2300 - I have to pay that $300. Less scheduling flexibility with Travelocity also.

2) Many of the airlines break out part of the cost of a ticket as a "fuel surcharge" which we have to pay as cash along with taxes and fees. So, many times will find a, say, $1900 ticket. However, $600 is the fuel surcharge which we write the cheqe for, even though the total cost is less than the $2000 limit.

The Avion card is still better for me than a cash back card but I am more selective on which airline tickets I pay cash for and which ones go through the Avion rewards.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #17
mrmarkfr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
The TD card is very similar to the Avion, but they don't have any surcharges you have to pay for, if a trip costs $1600, and you have the points to cover it, you can use all your points for the trip.
mrmarkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarkfr View Post
The TD card is very similar to the Avion, but they don't have any surcharges you have to pay for, if a trip costs $1600, and you have the points to cover it, you can use all your points for the trip.
Really?
I see TD is pushing the Infinite at the moment. I'll look into it some more. It's got a bit of a points/miles advantage over the Capital One that I'm using but I thought it was tethered by the Aeroplan system.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
Dru
Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
TD Platinum Travel VISA

Used points to pay for flights, for me, that amounts to $400 a year... Plus, it covers travel insurance and rental car insurance.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #20
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,952
I fly enough that I make some version of Aeroplan Elite Status annually which helps getting point flights.

Trying to use points for business class is virtually impossible on a dependable basis if you are not a Super Elite or Elite Flyer.

Using my TD Travel Rewards points we were able to ship my KTM 990 to Europe, pay for a few overseas trips.

Aeroplan gets us to Europe twice year to ride (economy with the exit row seats)

I have learned that if you are flying on a partner airline it pays to join all of their frequent flyer plans , never accumulate points on them but being a member allows you to buy the better legroom seats in advance something that does not happen via aeroplan.

Right now there is a chance for those of us being shuffled to TD to score lots of free points.

Here's how

take the TD deal, get new cards and a separate card (more points) for your spouse TD

40,00 aeroplan points

Call CIBC don't take the crap ask to speak to a supervisor, get them to look up your spend and apply for a new card = more points

We got new TD company cards as well and it all came out to over 100K in free aeroplan miles

Alaska has a good program where your partner can fly for free once a year.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:41 AM   #21
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirker View Post
TD has a cashback plan, We just came back from Puerto Vallarta and got $450 back (90,000 points in their system).
Try getting your bum in a seat with Aeroplan points. My friend has 1.6 Million points and he cannot get 3 seats to Europe, to Hong Kong, to Australia f*all anywhere, actually. some of it may be his doing though, because his wife insists on going biz class and that narrows his choice.
Still, I tried for South Africa and would have had 4 stopovers on Aeroplan.
Back to TD. Bought the cheapest tix, called them and got $1100 credited to my account in 3 days.

I've got over a million Aeroplan points...I've never used them overseas, but frequent business class domestic flights have never been a problem. My wife flies to Toronto from Halifax on a whim to visit friends for a long weekend. First class, 2-3 weeks booking, no problem. We fly back out west to the Yukon to see my parents, once or twice a year, never a problem.

And that Maple Leaf Lounge makes the stopovers extremely tolerable. Full bar, 3 beer on tap...and no bartender - help thy self.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #22
haileypooch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
RBC Avion rules!

Little known fact that twice a year (Christmas and summer) they have a one month period where you can transfer your Avion points to the British Airways plan for a 50% bonus. We have been doing this for over 10 years and very rarely pay for a flight. Downside is you cannot book domestic (Canada) flights as there is no Canadian member of one world alliance, but easily fly the rest of the world. Booking is sometimes restrictive but if you plan in advance this isthe way to go, we never pay for flights! We often fly Vancouver to New York to visit my bro and there is a Cathay Pacific flight that stops down in Van to Japan so always easy seats and a niceflight to boot.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #23
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

American Express has a sign up deal going on right now.
Also, if you refer someone else, you get another 10,000 miles.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #24
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Just changed one TD card for another TD card. New one came with 15000 points. I asked the phone rep if I could upgrade to another one later - said it shouldn't be a problem. The other one comes with 25000 points.
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #25
YetiHunter
2 Wheels & Flyrod

Oddometer: 55
I'm a bit confused (nothing out of the ordinary there) I have the CIBC areoplan card now and I understand they will be auto switching me to the TD card soon.

If I cancel or reject my TD card when it happens and then reapply, will I get a bonus for the new TD card?
YetiHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #26
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
I have booked flights using my RBC Avion points a few times now, and paid nothing for the flights, or for surcharges. I booked right from Online banking and didn't see anything about Travelocity on there??
Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #27
dirtydeeds OP
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiHunter View Post
I'm a bit confused (nothing out of the ordinary there) I have the CIBC areoplan card now and I understand they will be auto switching me to the TD card soon.

If I cancel or reject my TD card when it happens and then reapply, will I get a bonus for the new TD card?
I think if you cancel now, then reapply, yes!
ATC350X
550MXC
Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #28
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
Also keep in mind that some of the travel cards give you additional travel benefits but remove others. My CIBC Aeroplan card removes the Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty benefits. I've never used any of these benefits before, had a recent incident where I wish I had used a credit card with Purchase Protection for the purchase. I bought my daughter a $1,500 MacBook for Xmas and five days later the neighbour's cat knocked a glass of water on it overnight. If I had bought it on my (no-cost) Costco Amex I could have had the repairs covered by the PP offered by the card. Unfortunately I bought it on my Aerogold card and my best option was to sell it for $500 for parts.
I received an e-mail from Aeroplan three weeks ago saying it is adding the purchase protection and extended warranty polices to the AeroGold cards. I guess the market for premium cards is getting competitive.

You still have to pay the taxes, fees, and surcharges, so using Aeroplan points for short haul flights isn't really worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #29
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Yetihunter, my wife and I went in and signed up for new TD cards we already have the Platinum, but are bumping to First Class and going to Infinity to get the 15,000 points each. Not gonna happen if you just let CIBC just switch you.