User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
I'm in!

Sucks that the beer was on the south end of a rapidly moving northbound bike!

Waiting with bad.. I mean baited breath, could be why it's bad? Someone's got to laugh, why not me?

So far it looks like you had a blast, hope it lifted your funk, sorry for your loss. I too was raised by my grandparents, it's a bitch of a loss. Regardless of your age, at one point they were everything to you.

Sorry for the melancholy moment... onward and inward!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcparks View Post
September 2013 saw three of us mount up and spend 8 days riding a loop from Victoria through BC's Chilcotin backcountry. Beasts of choice included My XR650l, Javiers KLR (well, lets call him "Javier" for now....more on this later), and Harry's (ADV Inertial Explorer) 650 GS Dakar.
Along the way, fish were caught, rum was drunk, steaks were grilled, bugs were splatted, and stuff happened. Much more to come, but here's a taste of the adventures:
The Chilcotin Plateau... One of my favorite places on the planet...

Subscribed!!!
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #18
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
Sucks that the beer was on the south end of a rapidly moving northbound bike!

Waiting with bad.. I mean baited breath, could be why it's bad? Someone's got to laugh, why not me?

So far it looks like you had a blast, hope it lifted your funk, sorry for your loss. I too was raised by my grandparents, it's a bitch of a loss. Regardless of your age, at one point they were everything to you.

Sorry for the melancholy moment... onward and inward!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
The Chilcotin Plateau... One of my favorite places on the planet...

Subscribed!!!
Thanks Slow and Griz - now on with the show
dcparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #19
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After gas and beer in pemberton, then off the pavement and on up the Lilloet River valley, a few Km of pavement emandering through farmland along the river, then across the river and onto the FSR and north towards meager creek valley. We got to the turnoff for the emager creek hotsprings..well, came to this:

End of the road.

The FSR used to cross the lillooet a few 100 meters from this spot, on a bridge that was 10m higher than the river. the bridge is now buried beneath slide debris, and the forest inundated and drowned for several kms upstream.

i think i can ride this....

harry thinks he can make it with his new Metzler Karoos

No hotsprings for us! Turns out google earth was wrong, right? a huge slide took out most of the valley in 2010, the Mount Meager (ironic, mount "meager" has a huge slide). 48,500,000 m3 of mountainside gooshed down capricorn creek in to meager creek, sloshed 500 feet up the opposite slope, then spewed down the meager creek valley and obliterating the lillooet river at the confluence, and for several km upstream and downstream. Both the lilloet river and meager creek were temporarily dammed by the debris. This was the (probably) largest slide ever in canada (google it for the wikipedia site).

a pic from the interpretive sign at the FS camp, showing the confluence of meager and capricorn creeks. The bare slope on the right is where the debris ran up the opposite side of the valley.

wow.

The image in google earth showing the road rebuilt over a slide at this location is actyually from a smaller, earlier slide. Or not, just checked, the image has been updated, so check it out for more of a sense of what the area looks like now, post-apocalyptic slide.

So, no camp at meager creek and no hotsprings (they survived, being farther up the valley, you just caint git there from here). However, the sheer massive scale of the slide is incredible, a spectacle well worth the trip up the valley for, and there is a forest service campground situated with a perfect view of the river and slide, so we stopped there for the night. A fire, one beer between three (thanks for sharing, Harry), and an early night.

view from our camp across the Lillooet River and up Meager Creek.

time to crawl in

Javier lines the inside of his tent with tinfoil, so the satellites cant read his thoughts.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 AM   #20
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 970
Hmmmm....I would have thought the Frank slide would have been bigger than the Meager creek slide.....

Wicked looking none the less....
Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Hmmmm....I would have thought the Frank slide would have been bigger than the Meager creek slide.....

Wicked looking none the less....
you woulda thought so, the frank slide was huge, at about 30 million cubic metres of material, compared to about 40 million m3 for mt meager. Holy crap! Hope slide (biggest in recorded history in BC) was 46 million m3 of material.

Thankfully there wasn't a town situated anywhere close. There is a very entertaining and informative account from some people who happened to be at the FS campground the night the slide hit and had some real adventure, here:

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...nt?oid=2168687

and a couple of quick-and-dirty before and afters to give you a sense of scale

check the height of scour up the sides of the Capricorn Creek valley, and compare whats left of the cutblock on the left hand side of the pic for a sense of the depth of material....

dcparks screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 11:04 AM
Old 01-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #22
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

That's amazing.

I rode down that way on my trip in Sept as well. I hadn't heard about the slide before then. It has been 20 years since I've been to Meager Creek Hot springs.

Reminds me of the slide that happened in Alaska's Lituya Bay (1958) and then the recent one near there in Glacier Bay (2012)
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...-over-glacier/
Old 01-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #23
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,028
We were in at the slide shortly after it happened, it's uncanny how the slide spared the campground...

Some of the slide debris had chunks of glacier mixed in with it
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #24
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
We were in at the slide shortly after it happened, it's uncanny how the slide spared the campground...

Some of the slide debris had chunks of glacier mixed in with it
Wow!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #25
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gunnerbuck, it is amazing how the campsite was completely untouched - i work with the Natural Resource Officers from the Squamish Forest District. One of the NROs said the guy who did the layout for the camp situated it where he did, partly in consideration of the local geohazards (like mountains falling on top of you from time to time). Lucky for the folks that were camped there that night.....

dcparks screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 01:03 AM
Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #26
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2

Day 2 saw a late start with bit of a lie in, then coffee, freeze dried breakfast mess, and pack up. The goal for the day was up and over the Hurley, gas up in Goldbridge, then up into the Slim Creek drainage and camp up at the head of the road somewhere.

I had a good moment sitting with my coffee, looking out over the valley. listening to the river and thinking "this is sunday....and next sunday morning, and every other day in between then and now, i'm going to be doing pretty much the same thing some other beautious place". Perfect. Dont get me wrong - i love and appreciate my family deeply, but it sure is nice not to be the fulcrum of partner/kids/job/dog/etc every now and then.

Off we went up the Hurley pass, feeling very much the harsh adventurer dudes on our bas ass loaded-up bikes, that is until a string of minivans, honda civics, etc filled with vancouverites on their way back to the big city passed us coming down. Clear day and great views all the way over and down to Goldbridge.

Harry's GPS says we should go that way.....

The intended gas/beer stop in Goldbridge didn't turn out quite as planned - no gas (sign says reopening in spring 2012...) and no beer (general store closed). This was a bit of a problem, as after Slim Creek we planned to do a loop back to Dash Plateau and Poison Mountain, and would need every drop (of both) to accomplish this.

No Joy

However, fate smiled upon us and the only people around were a group of boys loading up their KTMs after a weekend ride and heading back to vancouver. The lads topped us up from their cans, wouldnt take any cash for the gas. Cheers!

Nothing against Goldbridge, but it would be a great place to shoot an episode of "Walking Dead".

After gassing up we headed up the Slim Creek road - nice smooth twisty 2 track for the most part. After we left Goldbridge the clouds had begun to gather, and as we continued up Slim creek it went from showers, to rain, to full-on biblical howing hurricane and torrential rain. Nice! Jav and harry stopped to rain-gear up, but i said F-it and headed on up the valley, hoping to get to either a nice meadow i could see from google earth at the extreme upper end of the road, or some other likely spot, and set up the tarp for the soggy bottom boys behind me. To make a long story short, after a 2 k bike bushwack through dense head-high alder, the meadow turned out to be a bog, and no other spots presented themselves. Back down the valley we went, and found a sheltered BC Parks backcountry-ish site up a short hiking trail, accessed over a footbridge. Up went the tarp and tents, the monsoon subsided, and we got a fire going. We soaked up the warmth and toasted our boots and socks until the rain started again, and crawled into the tents. Now that day, that was a good day.

Jav in his native element - overlooking Carpenter Lake

Slim Creek Road

Jewel Bridge Camp

drying out from the monsoon
Old 01-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #27
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,320
subscribed
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #28
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
That's amazing.

I rode down that way on my trip in Sept as well. I hadn't heard about the slide before then. It has been 20 years since I've been to Meager Creek Hot springs.

Reminds me of the slide that happened in Alaska's Lituya Bay (1958) and then the recent one near there in Glacier Bay (2012)
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...-over-glacier/
wow, that is , mother nature, eh?

The Lituya Bay thing is incredible too - a 1700 ft tsunami!. Great writeup here
http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Tsunami1958LituyaB.html

This shot is cool - you can see the extent of the tsunami innundation because the leaves on the deciduous species that have pioneered in the areas scoured by the wave are turning in the fall....

and a good graphic to get a sense of the scale of event

Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #29
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,028
Yep, there were several fishboats anchored in the bay when that happened, but I believe only the father and son crew on one boat lived through the experience..

There was a similar slide in Knight Inlet about 10-15 yrs ago in Glacier Bay.. This occurred when the face of the mountain broke off at around the 4000' mark and sent about a 1 km+ wide slide down to the inlet... Because the inlet was very wide,deep and long the shock wave generated by the slide was absorbed in the water... I walked up and down that slide on several occasions and was amazed at the amount of material that came down off the mountain... When your out on the boat in front of it the rocks that came down look small, it is not until you walk close to them that you realize they are as big as houses... The sad part is that the glacier {the bays namesake} was also wiped away and only a little corner of it remained the last time I was there...

Anyways, back on topic, look forward to more of your RR, keep it coming..

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 08:52 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #30
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcparks View Post
Off we went up the Hurley pass, feeling very much the harsh adventurer dudes on our bas ass loaded-up bikes, that is until a string of minivans, honda civics, etc filled with vancouverites on their way back to the big city passed us coming down. Clear day and great views all the way over and down to Goldbridge.
Now that made me laugh. Thank you sir!