User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #31
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Day 3

Rained hard all night, and was still coming down hard in the AM, so no early rising on our part. Lounged inside my bag, read, snoozed, listened to the rain, snoozed some more. Hunger and coffee addiction got me up. Harry was up allready, hanging out under the tarp fixing something. The rain continued hard for most of the morning, so we decided that we'd stay put for the day and busied ourselves as we saw fit. Harry realigned the dilithium crystals in his GPS.

When Javier hear the word "lithium" he got interested in what harry was up to, but then he got this idea that there were bugs (the electronic listening kind) inside his helmet, and pulled the liner and vents out to look for them. I
do try and reason with him every now and then - I do try, but Jav just replies with stuff like 'just because i am paranoid, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t actually somebody watching me...and if somebody IS watching me, then that paranoia is a justified, rational response to my situation, and I would be pretty stupid not to be paranoid, do you know how much money the US government puts into electronic surveillance of its citizens? and even though I am Canadian I am sure that they listen to us too, because I know for a fact that……"and so on. I read my book and looked at maps.

By noon the rain was letting up a bit and the clouds lifted off the deck. The boys were happy with their various projects, so i went for a ride. I wanted to see what the top end of Slim Creek looked like with no hurricane.

Its nice up there. Road up to the top, and then any spurs i could find.

Damn!, XRs run on Jet "B".
dcparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #32
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 883
http://www.tlhheliskiing.com/ ?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #33
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Subscribed. Was up there last fall en-route to Bella Coola. Great area and can't wait to go back. Planning another trip this fall.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #34
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
Subscribed. Was up there last fall en-route to Bella Coola. Great area and can't wait to go back. Planning another trip this fall.

Me too...

Maybe we should plan to go together..

RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars

GrizzLee screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 07:54 PM
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #35
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
yep, those guys. I think KTMs run on Jet A, so thats an extra fuel stop for the boys in orange.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #36
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
Me too...

Maybe we should plan to go together..

I'd be up for that. Don't have definite plans yet but we should stay in touch. I'll be moving up to the Gig Harbor area in August. Was looking at trying another Bella Coola run sometime in Sept.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #37
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

end day 3

Once i finished a good look-round, it was back down the valley towards camp. Unwilling to go beerless another night i rode back into Goldbridge to try my luck at the general store. Success! fresh meat and beer!I also got some fuel intel, to the effect that there was gas in Bralone, about 15 k from Goldbridge back towards Pemberton, open today, but not tomorrow. Makes sense, why would the gas station be open on a tuesday?.

Back to camp to check on the boys. Another nice fire, roast dogs, beer, yarns, and bag for the long snooze.

Upper end of Carpenter Lake from the Gunn Lake road.

Hi tech navigation planning by the fire

Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #38
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4

Day 4

Dawn and no rain, so up we get, breakfast, break camp, and pack the bikes. Javier's KLR needs a bit of TLC (headlight bulb):

The doctor at work

The fuel situation (ie, no fuel today this side of Lillooet, 120 k down the Bridge River) was a bit desperate. We, especially me after explorations the day before, didn't have enough to ride the Relay Creek - Mud Lakes - Yalakom loop we had been planning. A quick conference over coffee and we elected to ride down to Lillooet, gas up, and then take the West Pavilion FSR along the north side of the Fraser towards Big Bar Ferry.

The Dakar wants to go that way

Bridge River canyon, between Carpenter Lake and Lillooet

Pink Salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) running in the Bridge River. This pool was full of them, rising continuosly. Not feeding, more like trying to take up oxygen at the air/water interface, a behaviour called "piping". I wonder if the dissolved oxygen is low coming out of the dam at low flows.....cant help it, i'm a fisheries biologist. always have fish on the brain.

Bridge River confluence with Yalakom, looking west back towards Carpenter Lake

Bridge River at Xwisten. The building on the right is a cultural interpretation centre, focused on the St’át’imc Nation peoples residence and use of this area for 1000's of years. Worth a visit.

looking north across the Bridge River. if you look closely you can make out drying stages or racks used by St’át’imc Nation peoples to dry salmon harvested from the river.

Lunch stop run by the Bridge River Indian Band at Xwisten. Great burgers on bannock buns.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #39
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4, continued

After fueling up at Lillooet and a trip to the liquor store (last chance for a while so we stocked up: beer, wisers, and lambs navy), it was up the West Pavilion FSR headed for Big Bar Ferry. The road runs high along the west side of the Fraser River. Really high. Great views.

Fraser River, looking north from the West Pavilion FSR

Dude, your pants look funny.

The road was mostly good, some sections a bit of greasy clay from the rains here and there. A little free-form, stay loose, dont worry too much about what the front end is doing was doing type of riding. Some boys had been there before us, and i could see they had some issues by their tracks - nice line, oh oh, getting pretty random, DIVOT! boot tracks....and repeat.

Javier on the West Pavilion.

Big Bar Ferry - we made the last run of the day

loaded up and crossing
Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #40
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcparks View Post
After fueling up at Lillooet and a trip to the liquor store (last chance for a while so we stocked up: beer, wisers, and lambs navy), it was up the West Pavilion FSR headed for Big Bar Ferry. The road runs high along the west side of the Fraser River. Really high. Great views.

Javier on the West Pavilion.

Big Bar Ferry - we made the last run of the day
Awesome photo

Oh man... I do love the Chilcotin. Damn fine country. That picture says it all ... great lighting and vast open country. Perfect!

So no issues with deep sand on the way down to the ferry? That part was horrible for me (I was on a 1200 GSA dualsport ox). I went Labor Day week (in between big rains). I think you guys were a week or so behind me.

Keep em coming...

Moran Canyon from the west pavillion

Going down to the big bar ferry.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #41
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome photo

Oh man... I do love the Chilcotin. Damn fine country. That picture says it all ... great lighting and vast open country. Perfect!

So no issues with deep sand on the way down to the ferry? That part was horrible for me (I was on a 1200 GSA dualsport ox). I went Labor Day week (in between big rains). I think you guys were a week or so behind me.

Keep em coming...

Moran Canyon from the west pavillion

Going down to the big bar ferry.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Grizz. It is lovely country, any which way you look.

True enough, the descent to Big Bar Ferry is steep, with sections of deep sand near the bottom. I recall having to go easy and regretting the 3 year old heidenau k60 on the front a couple of times, both on the greasy clay sections up top and the sand near the ferry. New knobs this year i think.

To get to lillooet did you come over the duffy lake, the hurley, or the highline (D'Arcy - Seton Portage?)
Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 PM   #42
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcparks View Post
Thanks Grizz. It is lovely country, any which way you look.

True enough, the descent to Big Bar Ferry is steep, with sections of deep sand near the bottom. I recall having to go easy and regretting the 3 year old heidenau k60 on the front a couple of times, both on the greasy clay sections up top and the sand near the ferry. New knobs this year i think.

To get to lillooet did you come over the duffy lake, the hurley, or the highline (D'Arcy - Seton Portage?)
If you own a dualsport... riding Duffey Lake Road is a sin IMHO and should be avoided unless one is pressed for time or the Hurley is closed... but then there is always the Highline Road. Don't get me wrong, the Duffey Lake road is beautiful. For me to travel that far and not see Carpenter Lake and Bridge River is simply out of the question.

To get to Lilloeet was not easy for me. You see, I left Seattle and once I crossed into Canada, I tried my best to stay off pavement. I should have changed into Heidenaus, but I didn't have the time. So, I paid the price...

My solo spiritual journey here.

Bring on more...
Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #43
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
If you own a dualsport... riding Duffey Lake Road is a sin IMHO and should be avoided unless one is pressed for time or the Hurley is closed... but then there is always the Highline Road. Don't get me wrong, the Duffey Lake road is beautiful. For me to travel that far and not see Carpenter Lake and Bridge River is simply out of the question.

To get to Lilloeet was not easy for me. You see, I left Seattle and once I crossed into Canada, I tried my best to stay off pavement. I should have changed into Heidenaus, but I didn't have the time. So, I paid the price...
Excellent! - have only watched the first 5 minutes and i'm hooked. Time to make and settle in. Next installment of the RR will have to wait until tomorrow, i got some watchin to do....
Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #44
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

end Day 4..

Looks like you had a great ride, Grizz. Nice camera work! - will PM you with some cinematography questions.

By the time we crossed the Fraser it was getting late in the day, and we asked the ferry crewman if he new any likely camp locations nearby with good water. He said, left, right, left, Rileys Dam, about 20k, so left right left it was, and arrived at Riley Dam forest service recreation site at at dusk. The last 5k or so along Jesmond Road was like a dream - a combination of dusk lighting, first stars overhead in a deep indigo sky, golden glow along the western horizon, and super smooth fast hard pack gravel. We spread out and sped up, the sensation being more like a combination of floating and flying than riding.

We pulled into the rec site - nobody there - and found a spot by the small reservoir.

Full moon rising over the Marble Range

Back to reality now, cold, thirsty, and hungry. My waterbag was empty, and we hadn't eaten anything since noon at Xwisten (near Lillooet). A bottle of Lambs Navy was in my tank bag, so i took a deep swig to ease the thirst. Then one to ease the hunger. Then another because the first 2 seemed to help, and so it went as i unpacked my gear and got the tent up and then stumbled off to hang the food. That typically 15 minute job took about 45 minutes with much more falling about than usual.

dcparks screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 09:20 AM
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #45
dcparks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5

Turns out that Harry and Javier had followed the same approach to thirst and hunger the previous night, so it was a bit slow and ragged the next morning. I would have stayed in the bag, but had to pee, and once i was up it was way too beautiful a morning to miss:

Hmmmm, tempting to crawl back in, but lets go see about some breakfast:

2nd cast....

that's not going to work....

Javier is on the job

Harry tried too. Enough said....