ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
painterdude OP
ride far

Oddometer: 208
Differnce Between the 1190 R and Standard 1190 off road

I had a 1190 S for a short while before it failed so I did not get a chance to really check it out re dirt running. I note that it's fork angle is almost identical to the BMWGS 1200 WC my brother rides...as are its wheel sizes
He is a good rider but finds he has to be careful on loose gravel with the GS. Is the Standard 1190 a bit sketchy on loose gravel...and the R version more planted with its larger front wheel ?
I rode a F800 with a 21 incher up front and found I could pin it and go as fast as the turns allowed. No worries no matter how loose things got.
I am wondering if the R version might have a leg up in this and rougher situations ..not because of travel ..but that big front wheel over the standard 1190.
Right or wrong ?? Anyone ridden and tested both in the dirt ?

* sorry if somewhere on this mammoth site someone has written about this ..I checked and didn't find anything ..well at least for as long as I was willing to search through the zillion posts ..lol
painterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Haven't compared both, but my 1190S is not sketchy at all. In fact with that TC in offroad mode it makes it so easy to do power slides. Makes you feel like a super hero with grins from ear to ear. Feels completely controlled and planted to me.
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Zero issues on gravel at any speed, very planted, very manoeuvrable, very confidence inspiring - especially with my Karoo 3 tires...and it's a standard 1190.

And I'm far from being an off-road expert.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
painterdude OP
ride far

cool to hear the Standard can handle loose gravel ...Just wonder how much better the R is in the looser rougher stuff.. If anyone has ridden both off road I would love to hear your input.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
The guy semi-conscience has a 19" wheel...they guy not bleeding has a 21"

both riders hit the same cross rut
any bike can ride in gravel....

A 21" is more forgiving....

'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
painterdude OP
ride far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
The guy semi-conscience has a 19" wheel...they guy not bleeding has a 21"

both riders hit the same cross rut
any bike can ride in gravel....

A 21" is more forgiving....

The guy with the 19 was on a GS1200?? If so that bike as much a people vaunt it , is not all that capable off road ....but if a KTM Standard would have fared better with the rut..well...that is da question.
thanks so much for your response .
g
Old 10-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
The guy with the 19 was on a GS1200?? If so that bike as much a people vaunt it , is not all that capable off road ....but if a KTM Standard would have fared better with the rut..well...that is da question.
thanks so much for your response .
g
I really don't think it's a case of the GS performing poorly off road - it's that it's much better at Starbucks...:)
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
painterdude OP
ride far

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I really don't think it's a case of the GS performing poorly off road - it's that it's much better at Starbucks...:)
ya I think that guy was wishin he was at Starbucks right about then..!!
Old 10-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
ya I think that guy was wishin he was at Starbucks right about then..!!

That guy was thinking he was at Starbucks right then!
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
That guy was thinking he was at Starbucks right then!
hahahaha!
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
painterdude OP
ride far

looks from the dirt like he did a layout flip over the bars and landed ..well badly .
Actually the terrain in the background does not look all that rough . Maybe the cross rut surprised him at speed ..not a good thing ..and fifty fifty no matter what bike you have if you are going to make it without a yard sale ..as this poor guy had.
Think I would look exactly like this poor schmuck if I hit a big enough rut unprepared ..even on my little dirt bike ..
Old 10-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
ktmnorth
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have the 1190s. I have noted this about riding off-road. The bike can do anything I want and take me anywhere I want to go despite having the smaller wheel than the R. At the end of the day if the rider does not have a certain level of practice and/or skills when riding in difficult conditions then perhaps the bigger wheel will be a bit more forgiving. If the rider has solid skills and practice the smaller wheel is not a problem.
ktmnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
I have an S and ride with guys who have the R. I also ride a 450 EXC for my real dirt bike. I have ridden both and the difference between the S and the R for me is that on the road the S carves so smoothly through turns and the R want to stand up in corners and you have to push it down to stay in the corner which is normal of a dirt bike. Off rode with the S wanting to turn in and carve you have to be careful no to let the front end tuck in and you then loose it. One way I have addressed this is to use the big pegs that are available now, mine are Black Dogs and it lets me use the leverage of the peg to turn the bike and to keep the weight off the front end in a turn. With the pegs and the off-road traction control I have no problem keeping up with the guys riding the R's. I will say this the R is a better bike if all you want to do is ride dirt roads but neither of these guys are going to go where my 450 EXC goes.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
painterdude OP
ride far

wow thanks guys for your input..Its great to heare the S works in the dirt because I know its street turning ability is just flat out fun. I was thinking on going R ..but having ridden the F800 on the road for several hundred miles ..I came to hate what dirt bike oriented bikes do in turns..
Thinking I will go with the S or the SA.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
I have an S and ride with guys who have the R. I also ride a 450 EXC for my real dirt bike. I have ridden both and the difference between the S and the R for me is that on the road the S carves so smoothly through turns and the R want to stand up in corners and you have to push it down to stay in the corner which is normal of a dirt bike. Off rode with the S wanting to turn in and carve you have to be careful no to let the front end tuck in and you then loose it. One way I have addressed this is to use the big pegs that are available now, mine are Black Dogs and it lets me use the leverage of the peg to turn the bike and to keep the weight off the front end in a turn. With the pegs and the off-road traction control I have no problem keeping up with the guys riding the R's. I will say this the R is a better bike if all you want to do is ride dirt roads but neither of these guys are going to go where my 450 EXC goes.
Yup, this....those wheel sizes have significant impact on pavement vs dirt performance.....if you really want a flickable bike, the SMT still has my interest with it's 17/17 configuration.....great geometry with the LC8 platform....discontinued in favor of the standard 1190 Adventure. BTW, I settled for the 1190R and it is outstanding for my riding.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote