ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO
 
alfaris's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Madrid, Spain
Oddometer: 1,154
May be in compresión but how abput extensión ?
__________________
09´ KTM 530 EXC
07´ XR650R
alfaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #17
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
If a increased spring rate matches the load better, wouldn't the standard damping be greatly improved by virtue of it having to do less work to control suspension movement?
With a stiffer spring it will have to do more work, not less, which it cannot. Think in terms of frequency rather than force.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #18
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western South Dakota
Oddometer: 1,099
A heavier spring returns to extension with more force than a lighter one so more rebound damping is required.
Ride a bike set up by someone that knows what they are doing and you will never ride a stock suspension again.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #19
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
A heavier spring returns to extension with more force than a lighter one so more rebound damping is required.
Ride a bike set up by someone that knows what they are doing and you will never ride a stock suspension again.
Say the stock spring rate is ideal for a 175lb rider. If the rider weighs 225, the compression damping would be less effective resisting suspension compression because the load is too great for the spring. The opposite would be true for rebound. The weak spring has less energy to rebound. When the spring rate matches the load, The dampning no longer has to compensate for the wrong spring, and will be more effective controlling wheel movement.
I'm not saying riders cant benefit from damping tuned to meet their riding style, and the factory setup is a compromise at best. But the damping should become more effective with the right springs.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #20
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western South Dakota
Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Say the stock spring rate is ideal for a 175lb rider. If the rider weighs 225, the compression damping would be less effective resisting suspension compression because the load is too great for the spring. The opposite would be true for rebound. The weak spring has less energy to rebound. When the spring rate matches the load, The dampning no longer has to compensate for the wrong spring, and will be more effective controlling wheel movement.
I'm not saying riders cant benefit from damping tuned to meet their riding style, and the factory setup is a compromise at best. But the damping should become more effective with the right springs.

Hasn't been my experience, but if it works for you stick with it.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #21
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer
 
chief_lee_visceral's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 363
Konflict, if we are local to Redmond can we make an full setup appointment?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
-= Never put your finger where you wouldn't put your face =-.
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #22
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
When the spring rate matches the load, The dampning no longer has to compensate for the wrong spring, and will be more effective controlling wheel movement.
You are viewing suspension as if the spring is doing the work and the dampening is there to fix errors, but in reality the two have to work together to provide a certain ratio of spring vs hydraulic force throughout the envelop of wheel movement. Things are getting a bit complex since spring force depends on the state of compression while hydraulic force depends on the speed of compression.
For example, if you put stiffer springs on a given suspension valving, you will need to stiffen up the compression dampening too, because now the forks will compress at a lower speed, reducing the hydraulic force during compression, thus throwing away the force balance between spring and dampening.
Not an expert, but this is what I think.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
For example, if you put stiffer springs on a given suspension valving, you will need to stiffen up the compression dampening too, because now the forks will compress at a lower speed, reducing the hydraulic force during compression, thus throwing away the force balance between spring and dampening.
You have a good point but fail to take into account that the spring rate is changed to match the riders weight. That should put the suspension 'speed' right on target.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:57 AM   #24
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
You have a good point but fail to take into account that the spring rate is changed to match the riders weight. That should put the suspension 'speed' right on target.
You have a good point but you view suspension as a spring tied to the ground on one end with a weight on the other plus some dampening. Well this is not the case, since both ends of the spring are free to move (bike and wheel) depending on the circumstances. And while by putting a stiffer spring you address one end of the story, you don;t address the other (wheel) where nothing has really changed in its mass, however, you connect it with the rest of the bike by a stiffer spring.

mousitsas screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 02:07 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #25
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
You have a good point but you view suspension as a spring tied to the ground on one end with a weight on the other plus some dampening. Well this is not the case, since both ends of the spring are free to move (bike and wheel) depending on the circumstances. And while by putting a stiffer spring you address one end of the story, you don;t address the other (wheel) where nothing has really changed in its mass, however, you connect it with the rest of the bike by a stiffer spring.
The wheel and it's componets are commonly known as unsprung weight.

bemiiten screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 11:55 AM
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #26
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO
 
alfaris's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Madrid, Spain
Oddometer: 1,154
Hi konflict,

Did you advance on improving the travel on 1190 adv r forks and shock ?

Thank you
__________________
09´ KTM 530 EXC
07´ XR650R
alfaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #27
Konflict Motorsports OP
KM TUNER
 
Konflict Motorsports's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Redmond, Wa-Thousand Oaks Ca.
Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris View Post
Hi konflict,

Did you advance on improving the travel on 1190 adv r forks and shock ?

Thank you
Yes, as a matter of fact we are about 2-3 weeks out from offering the service publicly. We have a few test bikes around the country running them at this time (different heights) and will make the decision with what the final option will be. I will post it in the vendor forum once it is live.
Thank you for your interest!
__________________
Konflict Motorsports & Suspension www.KonflictMotorsports.com
Konflict Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 AM   #28
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!
 
StevenD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Holland, Amserdammed
Oddometer: 1,111
One thing I have been thinking about.. do both forks have both damping circuits for compression and rebound with just adjustment for one or is there really just one circuit per leg?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk
__________________
999 LC8 Rat-Rally custom - 500 EXC - XR666R '85
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:12 AM   #29
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO
 
alfaris's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Madrid, Spain
Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact we are about 2-3 weeks out from offering the service publicly. We have a few test bikes around the country running them at this time (different heights) and will make the decision with what the final option will be. I will post it in the vendor forum once it is live.
Thank you for your interest!
Thank you very much for the information and for your efforts on this issue.

Sure I am absolutely interested on this improvement, I am missing mi 03 950adv s 265mm travel, the 1190 R 220mm travel looks short for me.

Best regards
__________________
09´ KTM 530 EXC
07´ XR650R

alfaris screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 05:52 PM
alfaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #30
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO
 
alfaris's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Madrid, Spain
Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact we are about 2-3 weeks out from offering the service publicly. We have a few test bikes around the country running them at this time (different heights) and will make the decision with what the final option will be. I will post it in the vendor forum once it is live.
Thank you for your interest!
Hi konflict ,

looks like the 2-3 weeks time for the release of the suspension kits has expired.

Any news now ? I am crazy about this possibility of increasing 1190 R travel....

Thank you
__________________
09´ KTM 530 EXC
07´ XR650R
alfaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014