ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #181
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,669
I had similar issues with my 990 when a handful of us from the east coast headed west to ride the Continental Divide. Bike would lose power under throttle. It was over 100 degrees out and we all had different ideas as to what was wrong. But part of what you described sounds a bit different. Since we kept going thinking I may have overfilled the tank or something, I got to deal with the lose of power a few times. Almost every time I shut the bike off after I would lose power, it would start right up and I would be able to run another 15-20 minutes before it would happen again. This made us think it might be vapor lock on the tanks. The one thing we excluded in our brainstorming was the fuel filters because if the filters were clogged, we figured it would stay clogged. What we learned after the fact was with the pressurized fuel system, when you shut the pump off, backpressure would clear part of the filter. This was why I could restart right away.

Basically what I'm getting at is it may not be your filters...The bike would always start and idle, it was when I got on the throttle that things went south.

On you side fairings (between the windshield and tank) there are vent lines that go to your carbon canister that you might want to check. The fittings are easy to bend when putting the fairing back in place, but they appear straight when you pull them out. Check for creasing in the plastic. Pinching one of those vent lines may have an impact.
Good Luck

For future reference, if you look in the vendor section, there is an inmate from Greece who has "non-KTM" fuel filters for $30 a set. If I remember right, he got them to me in about 3-4 days...I mentioned he was across the pond right?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #182
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post

You pussy. You were too focused on proving yourself a world traveler to ever ask for help. I'd sooner get on the phone and buy every fuel filter in the south than pass one on to a little bitch like you. Explain why your first request for help was in post 145?

World traveler!
OK, now you owe me a new keyboard. This one has beer all over it.

I will overnight fedex you a nickel if you do it.

Nah, not really. I still want Kedgi to get his ride down to Mexico or however far south he was going. 'Cuz his KTM is gonna need service at least once more on that trip... and I want him to take a shop manual and the right tools to maintain the bike with him, and have to improvise a fix.

The guys writing about doing a temporary cleaning of a clogged fuel filter with nothing more than brake cleaner are exactly what this site is about.

Or, my friend on a ride with me a few months ago where my jet needle lost its clip and the bike wouldn't go... patiently dealing with an artard like me that didn't know jack about carbs at the time, walking me through the teardown and helping me to get back on the road in less than 2 hours.

Kedgi, get two filters. As well as a spare oil and air filter. There's been a few other 990 specific parts that people have mentioned in this thread as well. Get 'em. And either a paper or PDF copy of the shop manual for your bike. Get someone in TX (not a shop) to walk you through fixing this, so you build confidence in maintaining your bike.

Fact is, you have a KTM with about 20,000 miles on it. It ain't new. That honeymoon period is long over. You never really had it, if you bought it used in the first place. You've been riding on borrowed time, just like any bike that is more than 1 year of serious use in age.

Read the shop manual, 1 section per evening, just to be familiar with it. Read the symptoms, study the schematics and teardown photos. Relate it to your bike. Own your bike.

Right now, I'm in the middle of a kickstart rebuild on my XR600 and I have to pull the clutch while I do that in order to get to the kickstart spindle and gears. Thank God I got to rebuild the clutch on my Shadow, so I'm familiar with the general principles of a Honda clutch. I'll be checking spring and plate tolerances when I'm in there just in case it's time to replace them proactively rather than waiting for a failure in Gangsterland Mexico or the bottom of some canyon, 50 miles from any concrete.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #183
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by borscht zanetti View Post
I have never met him. He came here blustering. But but can you all not see he is rider in trouble? Does he have to spout some kind of song ?

That is my point

Look I take in riders regardless .. I try and help them. Harley guys stay overnight at my house and I suck up their views I help riders

This website does not . apparently
borscht .. OP is not blameless this fiasco .. std Adv, folks pile on anytime someone deserves it.

in fact this is the very first thread that I'm aware of where someone obviously need help on Adv that didn't get immediate response from all directions.

recently a couple on DR650 on the way to Mexico shelled a motor .. they posted a cry for help on Adv .. which was moved to Two wheeled Texans ... end result was a tag team of folks who gracious trucked their down bikes to a member with facilities. a spare engine case was located. end result was their DR650 got a freshly re-built engine by a DR650 pro... they got put up, wined and dined while their bike was repaired.

within a few days they were on the way to Mexico again .. their trip could still be in progress.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #184
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikebagger View Post
Rules of the road.
A: Pay to Play
B: Be a man and learn to work on a motorcycle.
Hilarious

Send me a link to your intercontinental trips so I don't dismiss you as a BS artist.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #185
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
in fact this is the very first thread that I'm aware of where someone obviously need help on Adv that didn't get immediate response from all directions.
I'd have to disagree. If I re-read the first post, or even the first few pages it's not obvious he's in need of help. He's too pissed off at the world to need help.

If the OP had posted saying "my filters are clogged, trip at risk, dealer messed up, can anyone help" he'd have had people falling over themselves to help.

But he didn't and we're now 13 odd pages in.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #186
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
OK, now you owe me a new keyboard. This one has beer all over it.

I will overnight fedex you a nickel if you do it.

Nah, not really. I still want Kedgi to get his ride down to Mexico or however far south he was going. 'Cuz his KTM is gonna need service at least once more on that trip... and I want him to take a shop manual and the right tools to maintain the bike with him, and have to improvise a fix.

The guys writing about doing a temporary cleaning of a clogged fuel filter with nothing more than brake cleaner are exactly what this site is about.

Or, my friend on a ride with me a few months ago where my jet needle lost its clip and the bike wouldn't go... patiently dealing with an artard like me that didn't know jack about carbs at the time, walking me through the teardown and helping me to get back on the road in less than 2 hours.

Kedgi, get two filters. As well as a spare oil and air filter. There's been a few other 990 specific parts that people have mentioned in this thread as well. Get 'em. And either a paper or PDF copy of the shop manual for your bike. Get someone in TX (not a shop) to walk you through fixing this, so you build confidence in maintaining your bike.

Fact is, you have a KTM with about 20,000 miles on it. It ain't new. That honeymoon period is long over. You never really had it, if you bought it used in the first place. You've been riding on borrowed time, just like any bike that is more than 1 year of serious use in age.

Read the shop manual, 1 section per evening, just to be familiar with it. Read the symptoms, study the schematics and teardown photos. Relate it to your bike. Own your bike.

Right now, I'm in the middle of a kickstart rebuild on my XR600 and I have to pull the clutch while I do that in order to get to the kickstart spindle and gears. Thank God I got to rebuild the clutch on my Shadow, so I'm familiar with the general principles of a Honda clutch. I'll be checking spring and plate tolerances when I'm in there just in case it's time to replace them proactively rather than waiting for a failure in Gangsterland Mexico or the bottom of some canyon, 50 miles from any concrete.
I bought this bike new. I ride. I put 30,000kms on it in four months. 30,000 kms is nothing to some of us that really do ride overland. I didn't read in KTM's advertising where you had to have a parts truck with you. I am truly sorry if there are people here who's only claim to fame is that they own a KTM. I didn't mean to step on your self worth. KTM's are unreliable, high strung bikes. I will salvage the remains of this trip, buy a more reliable bike and do other trips. I will not take this bike anywhere outside the USA or Canada without a full support team and a FedEX truck behind me. I owe it to my family to be responsible, not foolhardy. Taking a bike that has failed four times this month into Mexico is foolhardy. Riding succesfully around the world without being a mechanic is done all the time on more reliable bikes. If you didn't gather this this afternoon, you are not listening to a guy that I can guarantee you has ridden more in the last two years than most of you have ridden in a lifetime. Your loss. Attack all you want. I could care less. It makes it easy for me to separate you from real travelers.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 09:41 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #187
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I'd have to disagree. If I re-read the first post, or even the first few pages it's not obvious he's in need of help. He's too pissed off at the world to need help.

If the OP had posted saying "my filters are clogged, trip at risk, dealer messed up, can anyone help" he'd have had people falling over themselves to help.

I'd have overnighted one of my spares.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #188
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I bought it new and rode it 18,000 miles in four months. While you were working on bikes I was riding. I'm so proud of you. Thanks for all your help.

Kedgi

Yet you've been sitting in a hotel for the last 4 days.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #189
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,241
Holy crap. . . all in one day?? Is this a posting speed record?
I couldn't keep up with this fuckin thread as it's moving too fast. . . like trying to chase down the sun.

Buy a 950 with carbs. . . (but carry a spare fuel pump still).

990's are pure junk!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #190
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Good luck OP. Looks like you pissed off about 99% of the OC. Congrats.

Learn to work on your own shit.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #191
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,883
Quote:
I'd have to disagree. If I re-read the first post, or even the first few pages it's not obvious he's in need of help. He's too pissed off at everyone to need help.

If the OP had posted saying "my filters are clogged, trip at risk, dealer messed up, can anyone help" he'd have had people falling over themselves to help him.

like I've already said .. OP is not blameless in this fiasco ... things would have turned out completely different had OP simply asked for help right off the bat.

but it looks like some gracious folks are stepping forward to help ... so OP may be on his way again soon. but my prediction is he will be stuck again shortly if only filters are changed again.

fuel injection filters are designed to have longer change intervals. it'd really be rare to plug up multiple fuel injection filters in a row. I'd suspect the fuel injection pump ... if it was me ..and I was headed south .. I'd replace the fuel injection pump and filters. then carry extra filters.

be sure to check electrical wiring going to pump .. I'd verify full voltage is getting to the pump. fuel injected high compression motorcycles are going to more sensitive to fuel. throw out your experience with carb KLR .. they are not the same as 990..
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #192
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
but it looks like some gracious folks are stepping forward to help
good, I hope he can get rolling again. have to say though, I don't think he's on the right bike [not even close] given his route, his attitude and his [lack of even basic] mechanical skills. Is KTMs marketing of the bike to blame for this, maybe.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #193
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:

I guess that's because all that was detailed in my rr which I suggested you read "last ten pages" and you failed to do so?

No need to apologize, all of us make mistakes

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #194
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
I It makes it easy for me to separate you from real travelers.

Kedgi
It's easy. You just look to the guys who don't throw a tantrum and quit at the first sign of a problem.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #195
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:

Quote:
I guess that's because all that was detailed in my rr which I suggested you read "last ten pages" and you failed to do so?

No need to apologize, all of us make mistakes

Kedgi

I forgive you crazybrit. Sure, you're lazy, disobedient and unrepentant. But, I'm really just quite a bit above you. You'll do as directed next time, I'm sure.
Closed Thread