Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #91
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Your KTM is a machine, every machine from the space shuttle to a mouse trap has experienced a failure. To think this impossible because the machine is new is deluded at best. I'm not sure why you'd need a support van to carry a sum of spare parts (consumables at that) smaller than a can of beer or a spare tube. You DO carry a spare set of tubes don't you, or did you just figure you wouldn't get flats because your tubes were new?

Hopefully your KTM will wind up with someone who appreciates it more, once they take care of these teething issues it will be a great machine for them.

If this isn't considered a blown vacation I'd hate to be within earshot of you when you have a real problem.
I wish you guys would read the RR. Where did you get the idea this was a blown vacation? Where?

Did you read the RR really?

Share your extensive riding overland riding experience please. I want to learn from a master.

In stark contrast to all this BS, the guys I know who are really on the road somewhere today realize this bike has issues that prevent it from being an overland bike.

Tell me, before I go to supper all about your extensive overland experience on a KTM 990 I'll go get an Orange Crush at the store.

Thanks for your kind words

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #92
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
what would you consider "overland experience" , just to see if I qualify to enter the discussion?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #93
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
My 2 pennies:

For the amount you paid, the bike should run on shitty gas or just about anything for that matter.

You also had the bike regularly serviced (I see in your other ride reports).

I think it would be understandable to have a regularly serviced bike make it accross the USA without issues.

All this talk of carrying spares and what not, piss on it. Why buy a $160 filter kit for a bike under warranty? You know the deal - you touch the bike and KTM says "you changed the last filter, we won't warranty it now"

Also, the dealer should have these filters in stock if they are so commonly needed.

At this point, KTM Corp can basically do nothing to get you back as a customer. Are you sure you can't do a trade in at the dealer? Can they get KTM Corp to ship the bike to Canada? At that point you can trade it in.
I don't think his bike is under warranty. He bought it used with 30,000 kms on it. Who knows what it has been through. And all it takes is one batch of dirty fuel to clog any filter. I don't blame the bike, I blame the OP for being overly whiny. Get the parts, fix it and move on.

Way too much drama for some bad luck with a simple fix.
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Old 01-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #94
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Your KTM is a machine, every machine from the space shuttle to a mouse trap has experienced a failure. To think this impossible because the machine is new is deluded at best. With a background in aviation I'd figure you would know that aircraft fresh out of maintenance are the ones which need the most scrutiny. I'm not sure why you'd need a support van to carry a sum of spare parts (consumables at that) smaller than a can of beer or a spare tube. You DO carry a spare set of tubes don't you, or did you just figure you wouldn't get flats because your tubes were new?

Hopefully your KTM will wind up with someone who appreciates it more, once they take care of these teething issues it will be a great machine for them.

I skimmed your RR but if this isn't considered a blown vacation I'd hate to be within earshot of you when you have a real problem.
Don't skim my ride report, read it, it will teach you a lot.

A mousetrap is a lot more reliable than this KTM our we couldn't see the ass you just made of yourself. It would be covered in mice. You have time for potshots at a guy whose ride report you skimmed. Give me a break.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 02:30 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #95
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 179
Laugh Hevy and Sean

I think you've got all you're gonna get out of this thread Kedgi when people start to call you out. Cheers dude.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #96
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
I don't think his bike is under warranty. He bought it used with 30,000 kms on it. Who knows what it has been through. And all it takes is one batch of dirty fuel to clog any filter. I don't blame the bike, I blame the OP for being overly whiny. Get the parts, fix it and move on.

Way too much drama for some bad luck with a simple fix.
Well, when the first post he says "in October on my new KTM 990" I would figure a new bike would be under warranty? Am I reading that wrong?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #97
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJackWhitton View Post
Gotta disagree here, too, and point you to:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877576

Attitude/expectation matters a lot more than the type of bike. If you are willing and able to repair your $10k + bike after it falls down a cliff (as the folks in the previous thread did), then take it. If not, don't. If you aren't prepared and expect you won't have to, it's a problem if you DO have to.

Love the Heinlein quote though. I'm still working on the "Conn a Ship" part, and hope to not prove the Die Gallantly for a while yet ;)

Cheers
Craig
I love that Mongolian ride report. It partially convinced me to buy a Tiger, despite the demonstration that the bike is dependent upon the speedo cluster being functional. Seems a bit bass-ackwards to me to put critical electronics in the speedo cluster rather than under the seat or somewhere else a little better protected.

But the Tiger did run on terrible Persian/Kazhak/Ickystan hillbilly gas for them, was resurrected twice I believe from what is near total destruction, and they had the fortitude to tough it out literally in outer Mongolia where some random dude welded their bike back together after waiting almost a month for Triumph UK to get them parts. That's tenacity and it's damned admirable.

Personally, I love my Tiger in the same way a lot of people in this subforum love their orange machines. But if it falls off a cliff (with me off it!) it is gonna be toast. All of its resale value will be gone. No reason to put thousands of dollars into OEM replacement parts, hundreds of dollars into questionable third world labor or tool purchase/rental and so on. I'd leave the bike in Mongolia and catch a bus/plane either home or to my destination. It's not worth the month sitting there pulling Tony-Stark-in-a-cave repairs, when I could be at home making money towards a new bike.

Which is why I lean towards cheaper disposable bikes for third world exploration. A 15 year old XR that has a piston failure? Maybe if someone has a replacement right there, sure... rebuild it. Falls off a cliff? Buy a new clunker bike from some guy in Colombia and finish the ride.

I think you and I are in agreement, though... you balance your investment (type and value of bike) with your ability to support it (dealership network, credit card limit, mechanical knowledge). In 10 years, I might be willing to take my Tiger to South America. Right now, it'd be my '93 XR600 though.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #98
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
I think you've got all you're gonna get out of this thread Kedgi when people start to call you out. Cheers dude.
I think you're right man. Not much constructive here.

I really had hoped someone had a similar experience, found something that light a fire under KTM to send parts, something.

thanks, I needed that

gone for supper

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #99
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
It is clogged fuel filters. I have been sitting at a motel for four days waiting on replacements. It is a shop job. This is not a proceedure that can been done in a parking lot.

Hmm.
from one of my ride reports...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post

Bartek was also coming from the Bay Area for the rally,
and seemed to be having issues with his fuel pump filters.

He sure was happy to see Matt (and the filter kit).

Every 990 owner should know about the fuel filters...

Bartek recently went to Baja, and probably picked up some dirty fuel.
worky worky

Woo hoo!!
Somebody’s HAPPY!

and from another...
Quote:
Lica’s bike was starving for fuel.
He was pretty sure his fuel filters needed replacing.

I had specifically reminded the Osos about fuel filters in one of the pre-trip emails.
It’s a common issue with 990s and those parts are hard to find on the trail.

And, he’s done! Time to hit the road again.

By the way, Lica rode his 990 from BC to Ushuaia and back and loved it.

He just finished a rebuild of the bike and plans to ship it to Africa, ride up to Romania, and then keep the bike in Europe for future travels.
Because he bought a new 990 (Baja edition) to keep in Canada.

It's too bad you're having trouble with your bike, but I'm surprised you expected to get sympathy in Orange Crush.

Have you not been in the OC before?
Old 01-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #100
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Must not be a lot going on in the world today. Four hours of this?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #101
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Thanks for your help. I think your a grandstander, maybe not a lawyer, who is a little bitter about being called out as a troll.

I appreciate your input.

Still waiting for that link to your vast ride experience my friend still waiting. I have the time to read it as i wait four days for parts for my FI bike

Kedgi
Fixed that part for you...

Why the hell do you go on a trip that has a guarantee of bad fuell, with a FI bike that is pretty tough to maintain for someone that goes to dealers for an oil change?
It's not the weapon that's the issue, it's your choice of weapon. If you need to rely on dealers then a 990 adventure is NOT YOUR IDEAL WEAPON, are you out of your mind??!!

Should have got a 950 and refreshed it, would have been allot cheaper. An adventure is not unreliable if you maintain it. Going to the dealer and letting him perform the schedule is not enough riding in your conditions.
It's sufficient for daily commuting and weekend trips. But riding trough a dusty and hot climate with nothing but bad fuell, the KTM wil NEED some extra attention... It sucked for you that you bumped into those kind of mechanics that do nothing more then follow spreadsheets.

Oh and about the 'it needs full synth oil, it's not an overland bike' IT RUNS FINE ON DINO OIL.

And 4 times breaking down is still a result from the first breakdown, it never got solved...
Your dealers sucked (following schedules alone, srsly WTF?!),the KTM support sucked and your gas sucked. Sell the thing and buy something you feel comfortable on. But please, don't go spreading crap the adv is not an overland bike. It's just not an overland bike FOR YOU.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #102
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Hmm.
from one of my ride reports...

and from another...

By the way, Lica rode his 990 from BC to Ushuaia and back and loved it.

He just finished a rebuild of the bike and plans to ship it to Africa, ride up to Romania, and then keep the bike in Europe for future travels.
Because he bought a new 990 (Baja edition) to keep in Canada.

It's too bad you're having trouble with your bike, but I'm surprised you expected to get sympathy in Orange Crush.

Have you not been in the OC before?
That is a great idea to leave the upper shroud on when pulling the tank. I'll have to remember that.

Quote:
Don't skim my ride report, read it, it will teach you a lot.

A mousetrap is a lot more reliable than this KTM our we couldn't see the ass you just made of yourself. It would be covered in mice. You have time for potshots at a guy whose ride report you skimmed. Give me a break.

Kedgi
Caught up on the report you linked. Lots of pictures of paved roads, snow, syrup, cookies, and kittens. No dirt or anything like the type of overlanding I pursue that I noticed. What would I know I only live within half a days ride of at least three of the main destinations for offroad adventure riding in the south west. If I want to learn something I read a report by the Wans, they know how to do things in style and overcome.

I may be an ass, but I'm an ass who has never been stranded by a either of the KTM adventure bikes I have had the pleasure of owning.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 02:47 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #103
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
I love that Mongolian ride report. It partially convinced me to buy a Tiger...
We are indeed in agreement -- right down to our choice of bike! I can't for the life of me understand the instrument cluster. There simply must be an aftermarket solution in the works for that problem. I've never read of someone taking one apart of waterproofing the components (if that's even possible) but the first one to do it will have a lot of thanks. I'm terrified of dunking mine in even a small stream, which is not ideal.

If I wanted to ride in the 3rd world at this stage of my biking knowledge, I would probably rent until I get more familiar with my kit.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #104
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Your KTM is a machine, every machine from the space shuttle to a mouse trap has experienced a failure. To think this impossible because the machine is new is deluded at best. With a background in aviation I'd figure you would know that aircraft fresh out of maintenance are the ones which need the most scrutiny. I'm not sure why you'd need a support van to carry a sum of spare parts (consumables at that) smaller than a can of beer or a spare tube. You DO carry a spare set of tubes don't you, or did you just figure you wouldn't get flats because your tubes were new?

I skimmed your RR but if this isn't considered a blown vacation I'd hate to be within earshot of you when you have a real problem.
If you'd really like to see what I do confronted with a real problem, read how i rode to Port Aransas and visited with my friend Jack last week, who is striken with Cancer. I was kind with him. I dismiss others like you who don't ride anywhere and have big all knowing mouths.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #105
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJackWhitton View Post
We are indeed in agreement -- right down to our choice of bike! I can't for the life of me understand the instrument cluster. There simply must be an aftermarket solution in the works for that problem. I've never read of someone taking one apart of waterproofing the components (if that's even possible) but the first one to do it will have a lot of thanks. I'm terrified of dunking mine in even a small stream, which is not ideal.

If I wanted to ride in the 3rd world at this stage of my biking knowledge, I would probably rent until I get more familiar with my kit.
You're a wise man Iron Jack

I recommend my friend Mike's rental business in Cali Colombia. It's called Motolombia. Top notch equipment, New KLR's and GS's and outstanding service.

Kedgi
Closed Thread