Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #106
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
That is a great idea to leave the upper shroud on when pulling the tank. I'll have to remember that.

Caught up on the report you linked. Lots of pictures of paved roads, snow, syrup, cookies, and kittens. No dirt or anything like the type of overlanding I pursue that I noticed. What would I know I only live within half a days ride of at least three of the main destinations for offroad adventure riding in the south west. If I want to learn something I read a report by the Wans, they know how to do things in style and overcome.

I may be an ass, but I'm an ass who has never been stranded by a either of the KTM adventure bikes I have had the pleasure of owning.
Because you've never gone anywhere.

Pearls tossed before swine are wasted.

Met Lica from BC on a KTM in La Paz. (guess you missed that part of my Ride report) Didn't get to talk to him much. He was doing a complete rebuild while I was sight seeing.

Kedgi
Old 01-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #107
Bowber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
If you'd really like to see what I do confronted with a real problem, read how i rode to Port Aransas and visited with my friend Jack last week, who is striken with Cancer. I was kind with him. I dismiss others like you who don't ride anywhere and have big all knowing mouths.
Your definatly a troll mate. People have offered you advise and all your really wanting to do is winge. Then you pull a cancer pity post. Sorry your friend has cancer but it's no reason for you to post it here. You posted a winge about your ktm in orange crush. If you wanted sympathy post it in the bmw section.

Steve.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #108
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
You're a wise man Iron Jack

I recommend my friend Mike's rental business in Cali Colombia. It's called Motolombia. Top notch equipment, New KLR's and GS's and outstanding service.

Kedgi
Thanks Kedgi, I'll keep that in mind as that is certainly a part of the world I'd like to explore more. I've only ever really been there twice, and both were FAR from adventure trips -- but the entire way from the airport to my destination I was itching to have my own wheels!

Good luck with the rest of your ordeal down there, and do your best to enjoy the adventure as it sits -- I've always felt that a good adventure is exploring the unknown; for me that's unusual places and new people but I suppose even a mechanical issue fits the bill of 'unknown'. At the very least you'll always have a story of that time you were stranded!
Old 01-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #109
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 181
Your definatly a troll mate

Great post newb! PS Great spelling.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #110
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,860
Why the fuck would anyone want to look at your whiny ass ride report? A guy who can't change a fuel filter is not going to teach anyone anything about motorcycle adventures. Again, you couldn't get across the United States, much less across the world.

You bought the KTM because when you whined to Kawasaki, they likely told you to pound sand. Now, you're abandoning KTM for the same reason. BMW will tell you to pound sand as well. As will Suzuki, Honda, etc.

Hey- I'm not sitting in some shithole hotel, traipsing through parking lots to purchase a meal. I cannot imagine sitting around for 4 days looking at my idle motorcycle becasue I'm too skeered to get in there and work on it myself. Shit- pull the filter and clean it and at least you'll have tansportation for a few days until the new filter arrives. And, I told you- I don't do ride reports. Like you, my time is too valuable. I prefer to spend my time maintaining my motorcycle so I don't get stuck in a road side shit hole motel, whining on the internet.

Have you considered golf? Might be a better, more productive use of your time.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #111
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
It literally caused me to convulse to write those words..... Glad you recognized that.

Truce?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #112
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
I wish you guys would read the RR. Where did you get the idea this was a blown vacation? Where?
Um, your thread title says "Why I cancelled a Winter riding Mexico"
If that's not a blown vacation, then your thread title is misleading.

Every bike has known issues. You failed to adequately inform yourself. If you had carried spare filters, you wouldn't be stuck for 4 days. I had a KLR and when I needed a clutch cable, the dealer said it's on backorder and coming in FIVE weeks. Bike parts are a crap shoot, sometimes they're in stock at the dealer or the national distributor and other times they are back ordered at factory. Always plan ahead.

The newer KLR still has the same "doohickey" issue as the original one. And some have had oil issues and blown engines.

If you get yourself a BMW, i'll be looking for you in the GS forum and you'll fit right in, BMW owners love to Bitch Moan and Whine...

You can salvage this trip and learn to live with your KTM's issues or just get rid of it and before you buy your next bike, familiarize yourself with its known issues.

Ride reports are no measure of your manhood... I've been on this forum for over a dozen years, I've ridden all over and have never ever posted a ride report and never will. It's not my thing.

As we say around here, the adventure begins when plans go out the window. Look at the poor bastard who bought a new 1200GSW, 200 miles later, he needed a new engine. He didn't come out to warn everyone that the bike is a lemon, don't buy it, pity me, I've been hard done by.. He rolled with the punches.. such is life..

Get yourself some spare filters and head to Mexico.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #113
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Howdy Kedji,

My initial suggestion to you if you have not already left for supper, is to go to the regional forum for Texas and post a message to the effect that you have been stuck out on the edge of SA for days waiting on parts, and have a touch of cabin fever--would anyone reading it care to come pick you up and go grab dinner? You have plenty of stories of your road trips to tell--and there is somebody right now in SA bored, that would love to go pick a long distance rider and be regaled with tales of the places you have traveled. Also the person gets to give themselves a pat on the back for being a good samaritan to a stranded rider. It won't get you on the road any faster--but I'm willing to bet a nice meal, some pleasant company, a little drive around, and some good conversation will improve your mood, and maybe give you a slightly different perception of your current predicament. You could also try a post to the Texas adventure biker site maybe the introductions section would work best...
http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Old 01-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #114
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Hmm.
from one of my ride reports...

and from another...

By the way, Lica rode his 990 from BC to Ushuaia and back and loved it.

He just finished a rebuild of the bike and plans to ship it to Africa, ride up to Romania, and then keep the bike in Europe for future travels.
Because he bought a new 990 (Baja edition) to keep in Canada.

It's too bad you're having trouble with your bike, but I'm surprised you expected to get sympathy in Orange Crush.

Have you not been in the OC before?
LITTLE WON! I don't thnk we've run across each other since Moab a few years back!!! Looks like you folks are up to your usual adventuring.

Give my best to Bigwon.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #115
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Could be, but when you did it in the motel parking lot did you wait four days for the parts. Was the bike, brand new still under warranty too. We're you blindsided by four standings in a row on one ride. Is this what we all should expect from KTM? really? Is this what we as consumers of expensive motorcycles settle for? Crawling around in the dirt replacing fuel filters on a new bike?

It's what I'm hearing is necessary if you ride a KTM. Loud and clear. I won't be riding another one.

Kedgi
We were just motivated by not wanting to miss any riding time. We did not have a set of spares, so we bought a can of brake cleaner (only thing available at the only store in town), cleaned out the filters, broke one of the o rings and used super glue to rejoin the broken end, and got it all back together. It was not the bikes fault. We got some really bad fuel with water in it. We weren't going to let that spoil our fun. The bike ran the rest of the weekend without any other problems.

I am not going to pass judgement on your viewpoint or your choice not to ride a KTM. Just pointing out that this is a serviceable item even if you don't have parts.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #116
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
LITTLE WON! I don't thnk we've run across each other since Moab a few years back!!! Looks like you folks are up to your usual adventuring.

Give my best to Bigwon.
hey unaweep!

I only posted in here after seeing you ranting around.

We should have looked you up when we were in CO over the summer...you could have done schofield in the dark with us...
(the "up" direction - from marble to CB)
Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #117
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
My second suggestion is which ever bike you continue your future journeys on--go find the associated thread for that bike. Post a question to the effect of looking for the top 5 known issues to address prior to cross continental remote riding and a list of the top 5 spare parts to have on hand for that bike. You will get plenty of suggestions. Even if you don't have the ability to replace the parts yourself, having them on hand reduces the chance you will be stuck as in your current situation. I realize that you asked your dealer in NB to prep the bike for long distance riding. The wealth of in depth knowledge by the members of the adv rider community is a beautiful, easily accessible thing to have at your disposal. People reading your post will have a very detailed, intimate knowledge of that particular bike because it is their hobby, and usually their passion. The odds are that the people at the dealership, while probably very informed and competent overall--will not have the degree of knowledge the folks on here have for their very specific model, pride and joy. So pro-actively gather the knowledge, order the upgraded parts and or spares suggested in advance of your trip, and have the dealer or a handy buddy, install the stuff to your specifications. I hope that will smooth your future adventure motorcycling voyages.

Bike Nomad screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 03:59 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #118
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
hey unaweep!

I only posted in here after seeing you ranting around.

We should have looked you up when we were in CO over the summer...you could have done schofield in the dark with us...
(the "up" direction - from marble to CB)
Oh phucke! I've done that on the SuperEnduro and it was a bitch!!! I wouldn't want to try it on the 990! Why am I not surprised you two rode it in the dark! You probably never got off the back either.

Best wishes and safe travels to you.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #119
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Kedgi,

The cancellation of your trip to Mex. is as much on you as anyone. The KTM fuel filters clogged. These things happen. You had a bad dealer experience. These things happen too. But if you are in the U.S. an you can't get a part delivered overnight that is on you. Have you heard of UPS? Fed-Ex? Order 2 sets of filters and take on with you. Really NOT a big deal.

Move on.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 01-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #120
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
And Kedgi, you were stopped 4 times by the bike, but it was all for 1 issue from fuel that YOU put in it. Are you on the internet bad mouthing the gas company? Or the guy that pumped the fuel? How is that any different?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Closed Thread