Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #121
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
My second suggestion is which ever bike you continue your future journeys on--go find the associated thread for that bike. Post a question to the effect of looking for the top 5 known issues to address prior to cross continental remote riding and a list of the top 5 spare parts to have on hand for that bike. You will get plenty of suggestions. Even if you don't have the ability to replace the parts yourself, having them on hand reduces the chance you will be stuck as in your current situation. I realize that you asked your dealer in NB to prep the bike for long distance riding. The wealth of in depth knowledge by the members of the adv rider community is a beautiful, easily accessible thing to have at your disposal. People reading your post will have a very detailed, intimate knowledge of that particular bike because it is their hobby, and usually their passion. The odds are that the people at the dealership, while probably very informed and competent overall--will not have the degree of knowledge the folks on here have for their very specific model, pride and joy. So pro-actively gather the knowledge, order the upgraded parts and or spares suggested in advance of your trip, and have the dealer or a handy buddy, install the stuff to your specifications. I hope that will smooth your future adventure motorcycling voyages.
Good advice and applies to most bikes. When travelling with my BMW R1100 I always carried a spare Hall Effect Sensor as that was a common part that would die and then you had to wait for parts which depending on where you were could take many days. Never had to use it but for $ 250.00 the part cost me it always provided me piece of mind.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #122
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post

Truce?
Are you kidding!?!?

I hate your guts.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #123
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Are you kidding!?!?

I hate your guts.

Fair enough.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #124
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
I love threads like this!

DD
Old 01-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #125
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I love threads like this!

DD
Really?

Some posters need to get a life too. One has 13 posts today on this thread alone since midday. They seem to have averaged 6 posts each day for the last 7 years! They need to get out and ride some instead of pontificated!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #126
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Really?

Some posters need to get a life too. One has 13 posts today on this thread alone since midday. They seem to have averaged 6 posts each day for the last 7 years! They need to get out and ride some instead of pontificated!
Why don't you ride over to San Antonio and snuggle up with kedgi. You two can caress each other as you curse that mean ole KTM.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #127
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Could've rented a mule down there and not cancelled a trip. No knowledge about fuel filters and such required

BUT OMG you feed that thing bad fuel and you WILL experience bad GAS

You can mod a mule any way you like =)

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 01-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #128
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Kedgi,

But if you are in the U.S. an you can't get a part delivered overnight that is on you.
The situation is a breakdown in communication between 2 dealers or maybe just a slip up at one. It was unfortunate that the SA dealer didn't have the fuel filters in stock. They found the next closest stocking dealer in the Waco area--183 miles away--3 hr drive. The filters were supposed to be overnighted to the dealer in SA. The parts or shipping person at the Waco area dealer did not overnight the filters--they sent it by regular mail. With 20/20 hindsight, the fix might have been to demand they correct the mistake by having the next nearest filter overnighted--and just mail the one coming snail mail from Waco back when it arrived (or hang onto it for a spare maybe). If it was me, I would never have thought it would take 4 days for regular mail to move a small package 183 miles in a well developed part of the US. So it was hard to anticipate that. On the flip side to hold KTM at the National or corporate level responsible for the dealer in SA not having the filters in stock or for a brain fart (or maybe just a mis-communication) on the part of who ever shipped the filters from Waco is really overstating the case IMHO.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #129
Mybrainheadache
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Really ?

You left for a Mexico trip on a 990 without a spare fuel pump and filters ?....suppose you didn't bring a starter relay or voltage regulator ?

Honestly you did not plan well....simple as that...and I am being dead serious...any research on here and you would know better....
Old 01-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #130
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Feel bad for the missed trip

Sitting in Puerto Vallarta Mexico tonite watching the sunset and having a beer.

My KTM brought me here with no problems, where as my travel partner is having chain problems on his VStrom. Not the Stroms fault though.

Previous bikes would have me picking a DR over a KLR. I do miss the 7 minute oil changes on the DR. Seemed like a better bike with fewer moving parts than the KLR.

Hope you get it sorted....Mexico really needs the tourist now.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #131
Ghostie
Cereal Killa

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkerlou View Post
The target market for this bike honestly is people who like working on their own bikes .
I must have missed that bit of disclaimer on the KTM website...
Old 01-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #132
dirtbikebagger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Rules of the road.
A: Pay to Play
B: Be a man and learn to work on a motorcycle.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #133
payton333
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Honestly

I realize there are a lot of people here defending a brand they enjoy and respect. Fair enough. That being said, Kedgi paid a significant amount of money in return for a "reasonable" amount of satisfaction. He didn't get it!
He wasn't travelling in the dark depts of Africa, he never even got out of the states! The bike didn't do it's job anywhere near as well as is was suppose too. Was the gas really that bad? Were there dozens and even hundreds of vehicles on the side of the road that fuelled up at the same stations? Doubt it.
The whole situation sucks. I enjoyed your ride report Kedgi and would ride with you any day. As long as you do end up changing bikes! Honestly as riders I wished we put more energy into supporting each other rather than the faceless corporations we use to define ourselves!

payton333 screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 05:56 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #134
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,166
Kedgi,
Pull your panties out of your ass and get the CJ fuel filter kit and install it and be on with your trip. Your incessant whining is not the way to handle this. Shit happens; its how you deal with it that matters.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #135
murphyKTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
This is a brief description of why I canceled my Winter in Mexico on my new KTM 990.

In short, the fuel filters are so poorly designed you can't trust this bike.

I am spending my forth night in a motel in San Antonio Texas waiting for new fuel filters to arrive and be installed on my bike.

I left my home in eastern Canada on my new 990 in late October, just ahead of the snow and rode to Houston, where I dropped the bike at a friends house (after a trip to the dealership). I flew home for Christmas and New Years. I returned in early January to Texas to pick up the bike for a long ride in Winter in Mexico, solo, now cancelled.

This bike has had reliability issues since South Carolina, quit dead and left me stranded four times there. I limped in with much effort to the Savannah KTM dealer who doesn't sell the adventure bikes, but he determined I had bought bad gas. A fuel treatment he sold got me going but the bike still had major hesitation issues and stalling.

In the end I got to Texas and took it to Wild West Honda/KTM in Katy TX. I told them I had been having fuel, stalling quitting issues since South Carolina. They "fixed" the bike. My friend picked it up (i needed sprockets and chain and Wild West didn't have them in stock, and I had a flight to catch) and it did indeed seem to be fixed.

I returned in January picked up the bike rode for about an hour and it was a lot better.....for and hour and then it was back to the same old thing.

The bike left me stranded on the side of the road in Port Aransas Tx. Quit dead, without warning while riding at 70mph in busy traffic. I have the pucker marks in my seat to prove it. I am eternally thankful it failed there instead of in Northern Mexico between Reynosa and Monterrey. I'd potentially be writing this, waiting for answers from KTM while eating goat with the Cartels.

To keep the story short, or maybe it's too late for that. It is clogged fuel filters. I have been sitting at a motel for four days waiting on replacements. It is a shop job. This is not a proceedure that can been done in a parking lot. Both tanks have to be remove etc etc etc. It takes hours and costs hundreds of dollars, something like and oil change and valve set, which is also $500. I know I have paid for about 6 of them.

KTM Canada is saying this is all the dealers fault (Wild West in Katy TX) they should have checked the filters. Wild West is saying a filter check wasn't on KTM Canada's maintenance schedule. The point is moot, either way they are both happy to leave me holding the bag for an expensive delay and repair and I still don't trust the bike and have had to cancel my trip and I am faced with a huge bill to ship it home, fly myself back and sell the bike asap. I want to go riding (overland) on a bike I can trust. This KTM 990 is a lot of things trustworthy is not one of them.

The dealer in Katy, when they had the bike apart did not check the fuel filters They were happy to send me riding solo in Mexico after I had fuel issues since South Carolina, without checking my fuel filters. Now I am faced with another huge repair bill. I have spent over $4000 in maintenance on this bike in six months, two of those months it sat in my friends garage, so really about $1000/month of riding.

Contrast that to last year when i rode my KLR 650 to Argentina from my home in Canada and spent next to nothing on maintenance, maybe $800 bucks total.

I am longing for a new KLR 650. I do not trust my KTM 990 to be out of sight of a pickup truck and a ramp. The KTM 990 is not an overland bike, in my humble opinion. I bought it to ride Mexico, planned and saved for months, studied Spanish and am I ever disappointed. What a piece of crap.

Please read my ride report, especially the last 10 pages or so, where there is a lot more detail.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929171

My humble opinion, it's worth what you paid for it but consider it before buying a KTM for overland travel

Kedgi

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread