User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Oddometer: 1,018
Rad's Awesome Alaska Adventure (AAA)

I've finished my trip write-up about my 3877 mile, 11 day Alaska Adventure.

It's long with lots of photos.......

Introduction:
A big part of the adventure on this trip was meeting loads of new people, and it all started on the plane flight up. I left San Diego on Saturday, August 20th. I talked to the woman sitting next to me and she and her family were from Anchorage. She was a college student there and ended up staying after marrying a guy in Anchorage. Then, on the next flight from Seattle, I met an older couple, Bill and Jeanette from Eagle River, just north of Anchorage. We had a great time talking and joking around, they even invited me to stop by their home if I had time on my ride, thought that was cool.

I got to Anchorage and GusGus was waiting for me outside the gate. We had never met before, but have been talking in the Great White North forum, and we exchanged photos so we would recognize each other. We went to baggage claim and got one of my bags, then we waited....and waited.........and waited til we were the last ones. My second, large bag with all my riding gear didn't show up, DAMMIT !! Went to the Alaska Airlines baggage desk and found out my bag went to Spokane instead and would come in the next day about 11:00am. This ticked me off a bit, but didn't let it ruin the start of my trip !! GusGus and I went out for a couple of beers. GusGus later dropped me off at the motel and he headed home at about 3:00am.

Next Day, Day One:
I finally got my bag at the airport and then got to the rental place (Alaska Rider Tours) at about 12:30pm. Fugawi and Legion were waiting for me. It took me awhile to pack up the V-Strom 650, I worked as fast as I could since they were waiting on me. Finally, we departed and headed north to GusGus's house where we all met to go on a ride he had arranged for some of the local Alaska ADVriders and I. As we left Anchorage, it started raining pretty good. It dampened my spirits a bit (we're so spoiled in Southern California), but when I met everyone and it was time to ride, I didn't care about the rain anymore !!

The bikes at GusGus's house

The Alaska ADVrider crew, Ready to Ride !! L to R - Me, Legion, Fugawi, GusGus, KL5A

They took me on some fun twisty roads as it rained on and off, we ended up for a photo opp at this river. They said it's usually blue and clear, but I guess the recent rains made it a raging river....

Are these guys having any fun ?!! L to R - Fugawi (Don), GusGus (Don), KL5A (Chris), Legion (Mike)

L to R - Don (R1150GS), Mike (KTM 950), Don (R1200GS), my rental V-Strom, Chris (Aprilia Pegaso)

We headed up to Hatcher Pass, a fun twisty road that turns to dirt, with great scenery

Road through Hatcher Pass. I needed to get the feel of the little V-Strom in the dirt, so I opened her up to see how she worked.

The crew near Hatcher Pass.....since we got a late start, it was late afternoon....I couldn't decide if this was lunch or dinner ?!!

Photo Opp at another overlook on Hatcher Pass Road

These critters were running all around our feet.

We rode down into the valley and it started raining hard again. GusGus was leading, I was behind him and we were moving along at a pretty good pace. I was getting comfortable with the V-Strom and how well it was working, even through potholes in the dirt road. We got down to the main road, where we had to part ways.

FYYFF......the Adventure Rider Salute !!

As you can see the dark clouds behind us, I was headed into a lot of rain going northbound on the Parks Highway.

Shortly after leaving the group, I saw my first 2 moose of the trip on the side of the road, but no time to get a photo of them. After a couple of hours of rain riding, I needed a break and stopped at Trapper Creek Inn, near the Petersville turnoff.

I thought about heading down the Petersville Road, but it was 8:30pm and knew it would be at least a 2-3 hour round trip, so decided to pass it up this time. One local woman in the tavern said "the only man in here on a bike ain't on a Harley"....I laughed to myself, thinking a Harley would not be my choice for riding all around Alaska. I got back on the bike and continued north.

Took some photos of the first mountains I could see along the Parks Highway, through the clouds at about 10:00pm at night......still light enough.

My destination was Cantwell. I got to town at 10:30pm, found a lodge to stay at. The owner was asleep, but I rang the bell and I got the last opening, a nice little cabin for $105 (ouch !!). I found out what I heard was true, this was the average price during the summer in AK.

I went to the local tavern at the Cantwell Lodge, after throwing some groceries down my neck. I met and talked with the locals and had a good time

I asked the bartender how much the rooms were and he said I could have one for $25......dammit !! It was too late to worry about it, and I knew my cabin was a lot nicer anyway

Back at the cabin, I draped my riding gear and rainsuit all over the cabin to let it dry out overnight. Total mileage for the day was 290 miles, and the Adventure was just beginning...........
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200

Elefant 900 Rad screwed with this post 01-23-2006 at 06:43 PM
Elefant 900 Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Day Two
I woke up in the morning and put the coffeemaker in the room to good use. I stepped outside, it was 42 degrees, so I relaxed in the cabin, wasn't in a rush, and vegged out watching a Star Trek movie. Finally loaded up and got on the road about 10:30am.

I went north and took the turnoff into Denali National Park and rode to the gated entrance to the park, where you can't take a vehicle. You must take a bus further into the park, so I turned around.......no busses for me this trip !! I was lucky to get a view of Mt. McKinley, far off in the distance........

Rad Adventure Rider Posing with Mt. McKinley in background

Back out on the Parks Highway, I continued north and took a photo of typical Alaska landscape......lots of lakes and rivers

I had to go through some road construction zones. Most of the flagmen (uhhh, that would be "flagpersons" to be PC) directing traffic were women, wish I had gotten some photos of them, they all talked to me and were real friendly, and had no problem with me passing all the cars to the front of the line.

North of Fairbanks, I was headed up the Dalton Highway and my destination was Coldfoot tonight. I saw many dirt roads off the main road, and just had to explore some. I followed this one for a few miles as it paralleled the main road...

The Alaska Pipeline in the distance

The V-Strom on a Ridge......yes, I took photos of a RENTAL bike, but what the heck, it was mine for 11 days

Going up the Dalton Highway, there were forest fires burning for weeks..........

Start of the Dalton Highway where it turns to dirt for about 80% of the rest of the way to Deadhorse

Which way should I go ??

Guess I'll go this way........

Ahhh, nice to see this sign........

But wasn't too crazy about this one.........

I was delighted to hit this dirt road that I knew went on for hundreds of miles, the infamous "Haul Road" (Dalton Hwy.). I had fun gassing it around the corners, and getting the rear to slide a bit in the loose gravel in some areas. This road was built before they built the Alaska Pipeline, and is now used to haul equipment and supplies up to the oil fields at Deadhorse, Prudhoe Bay and the North Slope. The road runs along the Pipeline for hundreds of miles. Here, I went around a gate to get a couple of photos........

Those tubes with fins on top of the pipeline supports, are heat exchangers. They refrigerate the poles underground to prevent the frozen tundra from defrosting.

At the Yukon River

This woodplank bridge was built specifically for the Haul Road to get to Prudhoe Bay, the only bridge in the U.S. which crosses the Yukon River.

Dual Sporting on the banks of the Mighty Yukon....

Turned around here, beyond this point the riverbank got narrower, and too soft...me no want to get stuck !!

Mighty Yukon Rad Explorer

Met Takeshi and Junko from Japan, on their honeymoon in Alaska. They originally were students in Los Angeles. He asked when I was going to Japan to go riding ? They were cool, we exchanged e-mail addresses............

Interesting sign........they close the road for planes to land, the runway is right next to the road

Here, I'm much closer to the forest fires........the pipeline is visible through the trees........

Here's a burned out area from previous years.......the forest floor was covered with these blooming, bright flowers (fireweed)........it went on for miles, quite a sight to see !!

On one section of freshly graded dirt, it was wet, but it wasn't raining out. I realized they had wet down the road to keep the dust down. Earlier, I was hauling at a good pace, but now the dirt got very slick. I felt the rear of the bike squirming around, so I slowed down to about 30-40mph for a few miles until it dried up again.

8:30pm at the Arctic Circle. LOOK........here's where I am...it's just a stinkin' sign !! I don't see no Circle ??!!

I talked with Mike and Denise from Connecticut, in a motorhome at the Circle. They were envious of my bike trip, since they ride a Harley back home.

I arrived at Coldfoot at 9:50pm, the only services beyond the Yukon River on that 360 mile stretch of the Dalton Highway.

I was ready for a hefty burger at the truckstop.......

Coldfoot Camp.

After dinner, I was going to camp right across the parking lot in a grass field, where I saw 2 other bikes parked. But when I heard the truckers parked out front with their diesel's running, I asked the waitress if there was another campground nearby. She said yes, a BLM campground up the road a couple of miles. I went there and picked out a spot at midnight. It was still light enough to not need a flashlight. I was the ONLY one in the campground, besides the campground host.

Crawled into the tent after a long, but fun day.......enduring the first part of the Haul Road. Total riding was 470 miles in 12 hours.
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200

Elefant 900 Rad screwed with this post 01-18-2006 at 10:30 PM
Old 09-03-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Great story Rad!

I am all ears.

Rock on dude!

Gusgus

Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Day Four
I woke up in the tent and heard it raining outside. Oh well, a little rain mixed in with some Adventure Riding sounds good for the day !! I rolled up the wet tent and tried keeping my riding gear dry as I packed everything up.

A lot of Alaska is arctic tundra, soft and wet in the summer, frozen in the winter, so most roads are built on gravel across the tundra......even the campsite was built up on gravel. It was so hard I couldn't use tent stakes, had to secure the tent and tarp with rocks........

I went back to Coldfoot to the truckstop again for breakfast. I was talking to the waiter, trying to decide if I was going to do the Bonsai run all the way to Deadhorse. He offered to go get a gas can I could borrow if I was going to do it, since it's 240 miles with nothing in between. I declined, thinking I would only go to the end of the Brooks Mountain Range beyond Atigun Pass. As I filled up at the pumps, I ran into a guy named Randy and his son Ethan, I had seen them the previous day at the Arctic Circle. I told them I was heading up to Atigun Pass, and they said they were going to head that way also.

I got on the road at noon in the rain and headed north. It rained for the first couple of hours as I reached Atigun Pass.

The Strom Posing alongside the muddy road......

The road up Atigun Pass, up high on the left side of the mountain in photo

I went up over the pass and noticed how the guard rails on the side of the road were thoroughly beat up, looked like they were well used by the haul trucks. Here's one of the big rigs, they are not 18 wheelers, but many are 22-28 wheelers !!

Many of the truckers were courteous when passing me, and when I was stopped on the side of the road for photos, I would hear them downshift to slow down while going by, but some continued on at their normal high speeds right by me. I saw many people waving, even some of the truckers, as they passed me going the opposite direction, so I started waving to everyone (isn't that cute ?).

The Brooks Mountain Range after crossing Atigun Pass

Jagged mountains as the Brooks Range dissappears into the arctic tundra

As I went to the end of the mountain range, a little voice in my head was telling me, "go all the way, go all the way to Deadhorse".........Yep, I decided to finish the Bonsai Run even though I figured I wouldn't make it on the gas I had. I was really enjoying this ride, and the little V-Strom was working well at high speeds, hauling ass up the Haul Road !!

An area called "Ice Cut", a glacier probably carved this through the tundra

I stopped on the side of the road to see the same bikes I saw camped in the field the night before in Coldfoot

Jason from Anchorage, and his dad from Montana, were out riding around on a little XR 250L, and a DRZ400. They looked at the comfy seat on the V-Strom, and the rain gloves and booties I had on, and said "wish we had all that stuff, your ride looks more comfortable" !! Yep, I'm sure it was They had a gas can strapped on their bike and said if they found me on the side of the road, they'd make me a REALLY GOOD DEAL on the 1/2 gallon they had left........

I continued on, my eyes scanning the dirt road ahead for rocks and potholes. On some of the paved sections, all of a sudden I would come across broken pavement and loose, deep gravel where the road had buckled. This was quite unnerving at high speed, so I decided to stand up a lot more, especially when going over a rise, so I could see further ahead. Slowing down a bit while standing, helped get through those gravel patches.

I came across a group of about 6 Caribou in the road. When they saw me, all but one ran off into the tundra. The other one decided to casually jog down the road ahead of me, so I followed him, trying to get a photo, but was not successful. He seemed lost since he was separated from the rest of his group. He finally also ran off into the tundra.

Further down the road, there were many bowhunters out hunting Caribou (you can't shoot a rifle within 5 miles of the Alaska Pipeline). One truck had five, 5 gallon gas cans on the back, so I turned around. I walked up to them, they ignored me for a minute as they talked, but then asked "what's up? " I asked if all their cans were full, they said yes. Asked if I could buy a gallon or two, they said sure. So I poured a gallon or two in the tank and they asked, "are you sure you have enough ? We don't want you to get stranded" I said yes and offered them some money, but they refused, So Cool !! I asked if I could get a photo.........

Dale and Martin, bowhunter Superheroes who saved the day !!

The road went on for about 100 miles on rolling and flat, wide-open tundra. I rode on the banks of the Sagavani River

and the colors on the sides of this plateau were similar to the Painted Desert colors in Utah, seemed odd to see those colors in this landscape.........

After many miles of hauling, I pulled into Deadhorse at 5:30pm

At the Self-Serve gas station, thought this was classic !!

Airport in Deadhorse

I went to the souvenir shop to buy a T-shirt that says, "Dalton Highway, Mission Complete - 415 miles of Adventure". I asked if anywhere had beer.....they said "NO". I asked, "How about a bar?", No was the answer. The guy said no alcohol up there. Man, after that long ride, I was looking forward to one, Oh Well !! I had a gatorade and then bought a 2-gallon gas can for the ride back, so I wouldn't have to rely on someone else for gas

There wasn't much to see in Deadhorse, but it was still interesting to me. I imagined what it must be like in the dead of winter. It was 42 degrees when I left. Stopped to take a photo of these tracked vehicles for winter use on the north slope, there must've been hundreds of them in the area.......

Also got a picture of what the tundra looked like for miles around

Just as I grabbed my camera out of the side luggage, the bike started leaning over on the off-camber shoulder. I tried to hold it up by grabbing the lid of the pannier, but it didn't work. The Strom fell over on it's side and broke a front turn signal. I hoped this would be the only "tipover" of the trip.

Heading south now, back towards Coldfoot, I was scanning the tundra for animals and saw these, some extremely large beasts.........

I couldn't quite make out what they were, thought they were Grizzlies, but didn't think bears hang out in groups...I zoomed in with the telephoto

Later, I asked some hunters and found out the huge beasts were Musk Oxen, they live out on the tundra. Very cool, I've never seen that animal in the wild before.

On the Haul Road going south

Colorful, rolling tundra as far as the eye could see........

Only in Alaska.....this sign would be Politically, and Environmentally Incorrect anywhere else

Starting to get late, and darker.........

Heading back through the Brooks Range towards inclement weather near Atigun Pass........

As I rode up into Atigun Pass, the pass was obscured by clouds and I could only see about 10 feet ahead as I crawled along at 10-15mph. I tried to follow the shoulder and rocks on the right side of the road. At one point, I was startled by the headlights of an oncoming big rig, luckily he was over towards the center and I was on the right edge. On top of the pass, I needed to put on my rainsuit again, and filled up the gas tank with the 2 gallons I had in the gas can. The rest of the way back to Coldfoot was wet and dark, muddy and slippery. At one point, a trucker turned on his super bright floodlights before he passed me and blinded me with his lights !! That sucked.

I rode over 2 hours in the rain and arrived back in Coldfoot at 1:00am. Whew, that was quite a little day's Adventure !!
507 miles in 13 hours.

The big rigs out in the parking lot.......

Back at the truckstop, the kitchen was closed, but the waitress was nice enough to warm me up a bowl of soup with some bread.

I was NOT setting up a tent after the long day, and in the rain, so I had to get a room in the old workers camp for $145 !! I didn't care at this point. The rooms are small, like a mobile home room, or a travel trailer. I unpacked my tent and tarp, wet from the night before, and sprawled everything out all over the room to dry out overnight.

Time to pass out in the little, twin bed and snore the night away

Rad
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200

Elefant 900 Rad screwed with this post 01-15-2006 at 06:02 AM
Old 09-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Randy-great report!
It was great to meet up and ride with you and the guys, too bad we couldn't have ordered up better weather for you.

And musk ox- I've never seen them in the wild. That was quite a find!

Back to spectating....
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #6
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Cool ride!

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:19 PM   #7
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,049
Wink Thanks for the report..

Hey Rad,

Thanks so much for the great report. I've been as far as Coldfoot and had to turn around due to bad weather. It's also nice to put faces to names on the list. GusGus, HI Legion, Hi It's also neat to see my stuff on your bikes.
Keep up the reporting.. It brings me back so many memories of Alaska summers and the great roads. Just another 8 more months till I'm back...

Ride Safe,
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,175
Great report so far E-Rad, keep it coming
Old 09-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Day Four
Woke up, packed up my stuff and went to the Coldfoot truckstop for the fourth and final time for breakfast. After a huge omelette (great grub at this truckstop !!), I remember a sign from Snowrider's Alaska trip report, and I had to find it and get a photo.......

Found it in the lobby of the so-called motel

Little sidenote about Coldfoot.....they had low recorded temperatures of MINUS 81 degrees F, and a high of 90 degrees F, that's a 171 degree temperature swing !!!! WOW !!

Gassed up the bike and headed south on the Dalton Highway. I can't remember if it was raining, but I know it rained again later on in the day.

Here's a photo looking north, back towards the Dalton Hwy. in a valley with the pipeline running along the road

Couldn't resist a photo of this sign....What a name, eh ?!!

The ride south on the Haul Road was wet and muddy again, with some more rain. After many miles of hauling on the Dalton in the previous 2 days, I realized if I stood up while riding through the slick, wet dirt, I could keep up a faster pace, 50-60mph instead of 30-40mph the 2 days before. It did 2 things: One - while standing on the pegs, I didn't FEEL the bike squirming around under me as much. Two - The bike handled better while standing on the pegs and it didn't squirm around as much. Later, I stopped at the Yukon River for gas again.

Muddy bike after many miles of wet, muddy road.

Muddy boots. The Aerostich Boot Covers came in handy.

Miles down the road, riding through more slick mud, I stopped for a photo of the slippery road

As I walked back to the bike, I noticed this.......ROH ROH !!

So, I dug out the tire plugging kit (which came with the bike), and my $80 Cycle Pump from Aerostich from inside the panniers. I had to strip the wires on the cycle pump so I could connect it to the battery. I pumped up the rear and couldn't find the hole. I thought maybe the tire slipped on the rim and broke the bead, but upon further investigation, I found the puncture. Earlier on I had ridden through a freshly graded dirt section, the dirt about 3" deep and all the rocks were scattered throughout. I could not see them or avoid them, that's how I figure I got the puncture. As I started working on the tire, a rain cloud moved in, and wouldn't you know, it started pouring on me. After plugging the tire, I pumped it up and it held air, so I packed everything up again. As soon as I was done, the rain cloud moved away !!

I figured I would take it easy the rest of the trip, riding with a plug in my rear tire, but that only lasted a couple of hours. Soon, I was riding at my normal pace again, not worrying about the plug !!

Finally I was near Fairbanks and stopped at the Hilltop Cafe and store. I met Roger Smith and his wife from Fairbanks. I asked them of a reasonable motel, and he suggested the Golden North Motel in Fairbanks.

Roger's Kawasaki Concours and his riding buddies....

I asked the guy with the Triumph Tiger if he had taken it up the Haul Road yet, and he said no.....judging by his look, I don't think he would want to, the bike was all shiney and purty !!

I arrived in Fairbanks, had enough wet riding for the day after 272 miles down the Dalton Highway. This was the earliest stop for the evening so far, it was 8:00pm. They only had one room left at the Golden North motel for $95. I chewed him down to $80 for a nice double room, with a spare room where I hung my stuff all over again to let it dry out. Tonight I ordered pizza for delivery and passed out early for the night.
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200

Elefant 900 Rad screwed with this post 01-15-2006 at 06:04 AM
Old 09-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #10
HMR71
Significant Pickle

Oddometer: 342
Un-freaking-believable! Thanks for giving the worst case of wanderlust I've had in a while.

PS- That Strom looks pretty good with the HT panniers.
HMR71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:33 AM   #11
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Day Five
I woke up and had some coffee, juice and danishes at the continental breakfast in the motel lobby. I decided I needed to rinse the bike off, the oil cooler and radiator were plugged with mud and the engine and wheels must've had 10 pounds of mud on them. I used a motel hose and she looked a lot better afterwards. Mainly, I wanted the bike to run cooler and didn't want the mud wearing on any parts unnecessarily. I left Fairbanks at 11:00am (my typical starting times on this trip were running 10:00am to noon, I was in no rush, especially since I was riding about 12 hours a day most days).

I crossed this scenic river and canyon on the way down south on the Parks Highway (I had to go back the same way I had ridden before, quite a few times on this trip).

I stopped in the tourist trap of a town called McKinley Park and had brunch. After eating, I was on the road and I started to get sleepy, don't know why. I couldn't control it, I was starting to nod off, shaking my head to desperately try to stay awake. I finally pulled off the road near a little cafe, put down the sidestand, sat on the bike, leaned back against my stuff and took a nap. It must've looked pretty funny to people driving by.......what the heck is that guy doing sitting on his bike, not moving ??

I woke up, don't know how long I napped, maybe a half hour. I felt refreshed (power nap) and got back on the road, destination: DENALI HIGHWAY !! I've heard so much about this 134 mile road, mostly dirt, going from Cantwell to Paxson. Needless to say, I was just a weeeee bit excited !!

Start of the Denali Highway

Heading east on the dirt road..........Yep, you guessed it, MORE RAIN !!

I didn't care, I was having a blast, riding through some spectacular scenery.

Awe inspiring........

The bike wasn't clean anymore........

I love snow covered mountains, and the weather produced some fresh snowfall on them......Sorry, but I gotta post this bunch of photos.......

About half way down the Denali Hwy., I saw this place.....I needed a beverage after all the rain.
Nope, this wasn't it.............

Oh Yeah, I found it !!

I walked in, my wet gear making puddles on the floor as I stripped it off. I hung everything near the stove. There were about 4 guys, a woman and the bartender. They all looked at me like they felt sorry for me. I turned to them with a big smile, and said "How's it going?" We started talking. Come to find out, these 3 guys were renting some KLR 650's from Alaska Rider (same place I rented from).

L to R, Yours Truly, Pat, Kevin, Mike

Pat was the father of the 2 brothers, Kevin and Mike. They were having a great ride so far. They were from the Sacramento area in California, so we talked quite some time. They were serving the beer since the bartender had to run out to tow in a broken down motorhome. Surprised he trusted a bunch of Californians with the beer cooler !!

I told them about the Adventure Rider website. Even though they never heard of it, they told me to tell y'all,
FYYFF !!

As you can see, we were having a great time !!

They tried convincing me to get a room there, where they were staying, but I wanted to cover more ground tonight and start heading south after the Denali Hwy. They understood We exchanged e-mail addresses, and we will certainly stay in touch. Kevin said there's some great riding up by where he lives.

Somewhere near the end of the Denali Road, the clouds started to break up.

Ahhhhh, a little sunshine between the clouds and rain.

I was having fun, moving along at a really fun pace, but still wary of the sharp rocks in the roadway. This was not as well maintained as the Dalton Hwy. I was a-swervin' and a-weavin' to avoid them, lovin' every minute of it.

I rounded a corner and saw this.........

Look, it was Jo' Momma taking her kid out for an evening jog. You'd think she would teach her kid better manners, to stay out of the roadway.........some parents, I tell ya !!

A couple of Moos-asses

I yelled to see if they would turn around to pose for me....

Using the telephoto........she was a BIG MOMMA !!

They moved off into the woods after a few minutes.......time for me to move on too.

Summit on Denali Hwy. Most passes that you can take by road, are not very high in Alaska, but you feel like you're 10,000 feet up due to the awesome mountains around you.

Awesome view of low-lying areas with mountains in the background

Sunset on the Denali Hwy.

A Glacier in the distance, at about 10:00pm

I got to Highway 4 at the Paxson Junction. Saw a ratty looking motel, but figured I'd check it out. There was a R1200GS sitting out front, but nobody was around in the motel. It was raining again and I decided to continue south, and would hopefully find a place to stay soon. At 11:00pm, I found Atwater's Motel at the Meier's Lake Roadhouse, and man, was I glad !! Another 316 miles and 12 hours of great adventure !! Room was reasonable at $100, restaurant closed, so I got some packaged Tuna and crackers to eat for dinner at the room. Guess what......again, my gear was sprawled all over the room to dry out for the night

Rad........to be continued......I've had enough writing for today !!

Elefant 900 Rad screwed with this post 01-15-2006 at 06:06 AM
Old 09-04-2005, 01:08 AM   #12
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kildala2000
Hey Rad,

Thanks so much for the great report. I've been as far as Coldfoot and had to turn around due to bad weather. It's also nice to put faces to names on the list. GusGus, HI Legion, Hi It's also neat to see my stuff on your bikes.
Keep up the reporting.. It brings me back so many memories of Alaska summers and the great roads. Just another 8 more months till I'm back...

Ride Safe,
Rick
Hey Mr Rick's Plate engineer.
Good to hear from you, too!
Maybe your bride will allow a longer father's day ride? One where you can associate with a lesser quality individual than you would normally associate with? One time where we can see if Canadians can really hold their liquor. Or maybe visit the Great Alaskan Bush Company to see the finest of Alaskan architecture.
Even Rad saw the wonderful supporting beams and perky overlooks associated with a spectacular design structure, at the GABC.
RAD, has some incredible pictures, doesn't he?
see you next summer.
Gusgus
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #13
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,633
GRRReat report!

Ironically enough they're called fireweed.

Rob
Old 09-04-2005, 06:06 AM   #14
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Nice report. Thanks for sharing.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #15
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Here's the group flogging through the rain in Hatcher Pass, heading to Willow...

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote