User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #31
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Why would they ask that??
That would've freaked me out. Did any aircraft fly over when you were hiding it? I really want to know why they ask that, and what they would've done about it if you'd answered truthfully. Do you think they would've denied you entry if you said you had a gun hidden under a rock in your own country where it's none of their business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant 900 Rad
Female Border Guard: "Do you ever carry a handgun on your motorcycle?"
Me: "No"
Guard: "Did you stop anywhere before the border to hide a gun ?"
Me: "Nope" (I had to stop myself from laughing)
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #32
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
Why would they ask that??
That would've freaked me out. Do you think they would've denied you entry if you said you had a gun hidden under a rock in your own country where it's none of their business?
I think if I answered YES, it would've been cause for them to search the bike.

Chris was laughing about the same question the next morning. Of course, they didn't ask him, since he is a Canadian citizen.

Randy
Elefant 900 Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #33
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Bluhduh there everywhere

You have to watch out for the Canadian mulisha there under every rock I took this photo earlyer this year up by the border.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #34
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
i feel like we've all been on the ride with you
fantastic voyage... incredibly detailed account, which is MUCH appreciated by all of us
jealousy is running high right now
greg
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #35
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Mike, u funny mon !!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #36
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Day 9
I woke up the next morning with a bit of a headache, maybe it was from too much fun last night ?? Chris and I talked for a bit, but we both napped off for awhile longer. We got up to start loading up the bikes about 11:00am. Doc thanked me for paying for the room and he got his first real shower in 12 days.

New friends posing with the bikes

Doc's FULLY loaded GS-Adventure

Doc had put on over 10,000 miles so far and today would slowly start to work his way back through Canada towards Ontario.

Breakfast at Klondike Kate's

We talked more at breakfast, we both had a lot in common. I found out what an interesting character Doc is. Since he's a retired dentist from Canadian Military, one thing he does in semi-retirement; he goes to 3rd World Countries, Bolivia and the Phillipines, for example, and donates his time to do dentistry on poor people's teeth.......the guy has a big heart !! I told him he should check out the ADVrider website, and he said he does not do the computer thing......I said, "Good for you." That's pretty unique nowadays also.

Doc paid for breakfast, then we went to get gas. He wanted to fill my gas tank up, but I said he didn't owe me anything for the motel room last night. I went to pay for my gas, but Doc was stretching the gas hose from his bike to mine and already filling up the tank. He said, "California, your american money's no good here". What a guy !! We said our goodbye's and both headed into town to look around.

Dawson City is quite the place, right out of an old western movie, I'm glad I went there.

They have refurbished a lot of the old buildings, and anything new is built to match the old.

Think this sign says it all.............

Surprisingly, they're still standing

Ferry crossing the Mighty Yukon River

Back on the Top of the World Highway

It feels like you're riding to nowhere on Top of the World

Back at the Border

Rocket Man (what Doc called me after we blazed up to the border day before) on the US side of Border Crossing

Historic Jack Wade Gold Dredge

Back in the nothing of a town called Chicken, Alaska !!

Susan, the owner of the Chicken Saloon, Mercantile and Cafe

I only planned on staying a short while, but as they mentioned, many people get SUCKED IN to the whole Chicken Scene.......guess what, I got sucked in. The more people that came in, the more stories kept flying, and the longer I stayed

They have a steel pipe they use as a cannon and shoot panties, toilet paper, etc. out of it.

Panties and other undergarments previously fired from cannon, hanging from ceiling

Bartender Randy

Tucker, the 3 legged hound dog

These 2 couples I saw in a motorhome on the ferry at Dawson City, came in from Toronto. They were all originally from Estonia, some country near Finland. They were a hoot !!

Olaf, Ann, Anu and Sulev

Seems we all missed some action when the night before, a 76 year old woman shot her panties out of the cannon

Met Louis and Joy from Knoxville, Tennessee, they ride Harleys back home

After getting sucked into the Chicken Scene for 4 hours, at 8:00pm I left and headed south towards Tok. I passed up the opportunity to top off with gas in Chicken, since we had made it all the way from Tok to Dawson the previous day. That proved to be a mistake.

I was doing another blazing pace down the Taylor Highway to Tetlin Junction, the fuel gauge getting very low. The bike started sputtering as I approached Tok and within a half mile of a gas station, the bike came to a stop. I laughed, thinking that was pretty stupid !!

I pushed the bike down the side of the road to the gas station. After only 200 miles and a great time spent in Chicken, it was 10:00pm and the Young's Motel was across the street. A guy named Steve from South Carolina asked me "how is it ?"
I asked, "what, the bike or the trip ?" He asked about the V-Strom and where I rented it. He rode an 1150GS back home so was real interested about the rental and my trip.

Afterwards, I got a room after dinner at Fast Eddy's. It had been an easy day of riding after a great time in Dawson City and Chicken, AK !!

Elefant 900 Rad screwed with this post 01-15-2006 at 05:15 AM
Old 09-05-2005, 05:05 PM   #37
Trey650
Are We There Yet?

Oddometer: 1,846
Great report Randy, looks like a blast. Lucky Bastage.

Did you remember to pick up your gun?

Class 10 Cage
Save $5 on Smugmug!! Use code cQNk2QFrIDFCo

Trey650 screwed with this post 09-05-2005 at 05:12 PM
Trey650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #38
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Oh dammit !! Oops.

Yeah, I remembered, since I borrowed that cannon from a friend. My 9mm wouldn't do much to a bear !!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:21 PM   #39
Trey650
Are We There Yet?

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
My 9mm wouldn't do much to a bear !!
LOL, except piss it off.

It is rather strange that the border people asked those questions. I guess it has to be a regular occurance up there.
Class 10 Cage
Save $5 on Smugmug!! Use code cQNk2QFrIDFCo
Trey650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:17 PM   #40
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
Awesome report. Thanks for all the great pics!

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #41
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,202
Super report. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:39 PM   #42
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,441
Thanks for taking me along for the ride...

It must have taken you an age to write this report - and you have done an outstanding job!

I gotta get myself up there sometime soon...
Old 09-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #43
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Day 10

Today would be a long riding day, but not much to report and minimal photos.

I first had breakfast at Fast Eddy's and saw a K75RT BMW sitting out front. I met Roger from Fairbanks, who was just returning to Alaska from a trip to Washington State. I saw him sitting alone at a table so we started talking and had breakfast together. Then it was time to hit the road.......

Roger from Fairbanks

I headed south from Tok on Hwy. 1 (again) towards Glen Allen. It looked like rain when I left Tok, but didn't put on my rainsuit, thinking positively for the day. But less than an hour down the road, I had to stop and put it on. At Glen Allen, I rode west on the Glenn Highway towards Anchorage. It started raining pretty good. I felt the bike hydroplane every once in awhile across the puddles in the road. At one point, I had to pass a Convoy of about 20 Military vehicles.

I stopped for some photos of the Matanuska Glacier off in the distance on south side of the road.....

When I got to the town of Sutton, I needed a break after hours of rain riding. I stopped for a beverage at a local tavern. Nobody but the bartender was real friendly there. I decided to call Moosekiller from ADVrider in Anchorage, but he wasn't home. I continued on towards Anchorage. I ended up passing that same military Convoy about 3 times. On one section, I passed the whole Convoy on twisty, wet roads, over the double yellow, going through the canyon on the way to Anchorage. I just couldn't sit behind them doing 30mph for miles !!

When I got to Eagle River, I decided to see if I could find the house where the couple lived that I had met on the plane flight to Anchorage. I couldn't find their house easily, so I gassed up and continued towards Anchorage. I thought I might spend the night in Anchorage, but upon further contemplation I decided I needed to ride my ass off and see the town of Homer on my last day. So I passed through Anchorage heading south on Hwy.1.

Outside of Anchorage, the scenery gets really good and the road parallels the shores of the Cook Inlet and Turnagain Arm. I was treated to some awesome mountain views along the inlet.

Sun starting to go down......

I saw some cars pulled over on the shoulder of the road, and people looking into the water so I had to see what was up. Besides the sunset, there were Beluga whales swimming just off the shore. Couldn't catch them in any photos.

This is definitely one of the best sunsets I have ever seen.

A Wee Strom Sunset.........

I took about 15 photos of the sunset (I won't post them all here) because the photo opps were so spectacular. I continued south in the rain and saw many places to stay for the night, but it was too early to stop. I kept on riding, and then it was getting late. I hoped to find a place by 10:00pm, and sure enough, at 10:00 I rode into the town of Cooper Landing and pulled into the first motel and restaurant I found. Room for $100, restaurant closed, but they warmed me up some soup and made me a sandwich.
I retired to the room after 441 miles and 11 hours in the saddle.

One more day left................
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200

Elefant 900 Rad screwed with this post 09-20-2005 at 06:38 PM
Old 09-09-2005, 12:05 AM   #44
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Day 11

Last and Final Day. I looked out the door of my room at the Sunrise Inn to see rain clouds around the mountain across the street. Yep, raining again.

Had breakfast at the restaurant and enjoyed talking to Bob from Yuma, Arizona. It's a small world, he was visiting Alaska to see his daughter in Anchorage, and also going on some wildlife photography tours. He has another daughter in San Diego, just a few miles from where I live.

I also talked with the cute waitress who had a good story about the bachelorette party she went on with some friends. Their party consisted of hiking in the mountains, where they encountered a bear up close. One of the girls shot a .44 magnum in the air, the bear didn't even flinch, they were yelling and waving their arms, the bear just casually turned around and walked off. I guess that's what you do in Alaska for fun !!

At 10:00am, I got on the road heading south down Highway 1. Later on, I was being followed by a State Trooper for a few miles. I got tired of having him tailing me, so I pulled off to let him go by. Where I stopped, I saw this sign and thought it was funny.......think he's trying to make a point ?!!

I got to the southernmost town on the Kenai Peninsula about 12:30pm. Finally it cleared up for a bit and stopped raining.

Uhhhh, here I am again.

View from Overlook above Homer, with the piece of land called the "Homer Spit", jutting out into the bay.

On the shore of Kachemak Bay, Road's End on the Homer Spit.

View from the Homer Spit across the bay.

My friend John in San Diego used to work a lot in Alaska, he told me if I make it to Homer, I must visit The Salty Dawg, so I did.

Inside the Salty Dawg....

Enjoying a local "Homer Brewed Ale".........I should've called this trip, "Bar Hopping Alaska"

Met more people, these 2 guys were renting a 4x4, touring Alaska, Bob and Bill from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

And guess who I ran into.........Kevin and Pat, who I had met in "The Sluice Box" on the Denali Hwy. a few days earlier. They had already turned in their rental KLR's to Alaska Rider and were down visiting a friend from Homer, then going on a wildlife plane flight to photograph Grizzlies. They couldn't believe I was there and all the miles I had put on. They had an awesome ride on their trip also !!

When I said I had to get a photo, first thing Pat said was, "Are we doing the SALUTE ?!!"
Me, Kevin, Pat........

After running into Pat and Kevin, it delayed my departure from Homer back towards Anchorage by an hour. They said, "You're flying out tonight, and have to be back at Alaska Rider by 6:00pm ?!!" Yep, I was pushing the limits. I left Homer at 2:00pm and had 4 hours to go about 225 miles.

I headed north again on Highway 1 and knew I had to make some serious time. It started raining again, so had to stop and put on the raingear. Luckily I encountered no Troopers, at the pace I was going.

I arrived in Anchorage at Alaska Rider Tours to return the rental Wee-Strom at 6:02pm. Whew !! I just made it after 371 miles in about 6 hours of riding.

As I was unloading all my stuff from the bike at Alaska Rider, Rob and Nicole saw me pulling all my stuff out of the Panniers on the bike and said, "Man, you sure made good use out of the Panniers. You keep pulling more and more stuff out of them".

Rob and Nicole

I rode 3877 incredible, awesome, spectacular miles in 11 days, and I toasted the tire on the rear that was brand new when I left.

I highly recommend if anyone wants to ride Alaska, to look up Alaska Rider Tours in Anchorage.

They had a shower to use after I unloaded, so I took advantage of it before Rob drove me to the airport for my 9:30pm flight out.

I still didn't stop meeting people. At the airport cafe, I talked to 2 women, one was Maddy from eastern Washington. She's an Alaskan Native, who moved to Washington State. She still works in Deadhorse, doing catering in the summertime. She has 2 Harleys back at home.

Maddy

One more time, on the flight from Anchorage to Seattle, a guy named Kevin sat next to me. He was a bush pilot who lives in Seattle, but works in Alaska, flying supplies and picking up locals to air-taxi them into towns so they can go shopping. He had some interesting stories and was quite the character.

On my next flight, after a 4 hour layover in Seattle, I slept most of the way on the plane from Seattle to San Diego and arrived home at 9:00am Thursday morning.

Cody Boy was happy to see me.........

Words can't even describe how great this trip was and all the interesting people I met, and the new friends I made. The scenery was spectacular and this is a trip I'll never forget.

For anyone thinking about going to Alaska and doesn't have the time to ride up, I highly recommend renting a bike from Phil and the folks at Alaska Rider Tours....they're great people !!

"And that's all I have to say about that."

E-9-R

Randy L.
San Diego Adventure Riders
www.dualsport-sd.com
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200

Elefant 900 Rad screwed with this post 01-15-2006 at 05:19 AM
Old 09-09-2005, 12:40 AM   #45