User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #61
idahojoe
shut up and ride

Oddometer: 228
I rode your blue bike

In June I was in Alaska on a fishing vacation with the family. I couldn't be there without going on a ride. Towards the end of my trip I rented that blue wee-strom and did 792 miles in 30 hours. Thanks for taking the pictures I couldn't.
Great report
Joe
idahojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #62
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,966
Wow. What a great time you must've had. Makes me jealous. Very, Very jealous.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #63
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Need an Opinion

For RAD or anyone who has been there.

Should know this myself..but can not make up my mind. I have a 1150 GS and a KLR 650 and I'm planning a trip to Alaska next spring. Which would you take?

The 1150 or KLR650?

Hard decision! :(
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #64
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
My own unsolicited opinion is thumpers rule Alaska.
My personal experience was only seeing big bikes (KTM 950) get a flat, and hearing about BMWs getting flats all the time, but I didn't see any dual sports getting flats. My theory is it's the extra weight killing the tires on the rough roads. That could be wrong, based on such a small sample.

But I sure liked having a dual sport to just wack open the throttle whenever I wanted and be fairly relaxed at 75 mph on the dalton and the denali.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #65
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMET2000
For RAD or anyone who has been there.

Should know this myself..but can not make up my mind. I have a 1150 GS and a KLR 650 and I'm planning a trip to Alaska next spring. Which would you take?

The 1150 or KLR650?

Hard decision! :(
Depends on how many miles you will travel, and if you're going to stay on the main roads. Personally, if I had to choose between your 2 bikes and was going to stay on the main roads, I would take the 1150GS.

I found the V-Strom worked great on all the dirt roads running at a good pace (50-90mph) and was comfortable for the amount of miles I covered.

Next time I go, I may want to explore more trails off the main roads, which would require a bike with better ground clearance than the V-Strom.
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200
Elefant 900 Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #66
Popey
Nutter

Oddometer: 1,704
I did 8k miles from SF to Prudhoe and couldn't imagine going it on a thumper. Even within Alaska the distances are huge and comfort is key, unless you have many weeks to explore and don't need to cover a lot of miles each day.

I got no flats and used knobbies throughout (2 rears and 1 front). Also, the dirt roads were all in pretty good shape, unless it had rained hard, when they were very slick. There was plenty of loose gravel.

I rode the Cassiar, Campbell, Dalton and McCarthy roads, so covered close to 1,500 miles on dirt. Sure, it depends on ability, but IMO, if you're reasonably competent on dirt on your GS, it is a very easy decision.

BTW, great report senor Elefant and apologies for the hijack.
'08 CBR 1000RR (Track)
'02 Mille R (Track)
Popey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #67
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I guess it's personal preference, but I just did over 11,000 miles on a thumper going to Alaska and back, most on highways and a fair amount on big freeways. To me, the distances in the small part of Alaska that actually has roads didn't seem very far. Anchorage to Fairbanks is just one long riding day, and that's one of the longest distances.
For me it wasn't the percentage of what I'd be doing most, but which riding I valued most. The fun I had on the roads like the one to Nolan, for instance, was worth more to me than all the paved miles. Denali and Dalton are easy, but the lighter bike made it more fun and relaxed for me, especially when it started sliding all over in the mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popey
I did 8k miles from SF to Prudhoe and couldn't imagine going it on a thumper. Even within Alaska the distances are huge and comfort is key, unless you have many weeks to explore and don't need to cover a lot of miles each day.

I got no flats and used knobbies throughout (2 rears and 1 front). Also, the dirt roads were all in pretty good shape, unless it had rained hard, when they were very slick. There was plenty of loose gravel.

I rode the Cassiar, Campbell, Dalton and McCarthy roads, so covered close to 1,500 miles on dirt. Sure, it depends on ability, but IMO, if you're reasonably competent on dirt on your GS, it is a very easy decision.

BTW, great report senor Elefant and apologies for the hijack.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:24 PM   #68
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Thanks Guys - the Thumper/1150GS it is ! :)

Thx for responses
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:09 PM   #69
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
tires

I ride a R1150GS and I have had no such problems with tire nor have the buch of GS riders I ride with and we are off road most of the time this summer did the Dempster, Dalton, Hatcher pass more then once all heavy dirt roads no flats for me at all. there was only one guy on the run up the Dempster that had a flat and we are talking running flat out and load. not to mention no tubes just plug and go! the tires run like this and some of us 2 up are still getting 4000 to 6000 on the rear tire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
My own unsolicited opinion is thumpers rule Alaska.
My personal experience was only seeing big bikes (KTM 950) get a flat, and hearing about BMWs getting flats all the time, but I didn't see any dual sports getting flats. My theory is it's the extra weight killing the tires on the rough roads. That could be wrong, based on such a small sample.

But I sure liked having a dual sport to just wack open the throttle whenever I wanted and be fairly relaxed at 75 mph on the dalton and the denali.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:37 AM   #70
Popey
Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar mike
I ride a R1150GS and I have had no such problems with tire nor have the buch of GS riders I ride with and we are off road most of the time this summer did the Dempster, Dalton, Hatcher pass more then once all heavy dirt roads no flats for me at all. there was only one guy on the run up the Dempster that had a flat and we are talking running flat out and load. not to mention no tubes just plug and go! the tires run like this and some of us 2 up are still getting 4000 to 6000 on the rear tire!
Agreed. Tubeless tires are another reason the GS wins over KLRs etc. Plug, inflate and go. I love the TKCs for slab and dirt.
'08 CBR 1000RR (Track)
'02 Mille R (Track)
Old 10-20-2005, 07:38 PM   #71
paulwebac

Oddometer: n/a
Laugh tubeless 6xthumper

Old 10-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #72
Popey
Nutter

Awesome
'08 CBR 1000RR (Track)
'02 Mille R (Track)
Old 10-21-2005, 03:54 AM   #73
Ultralights
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Fantastic trip report, being from OZ, i will most likely never see these parts of the world..... though i am getting the urge to sell the house and everything to see these sorts of places with my own eyes..

and this might be a stupid question, what the .... is on the front of the 6thumper???
Old 10-21-2005, 06:03 AM   #74
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefant 900 Rad

Female Border Guard: "Do you ever carry a handgun on your motorcycle?"
Me: "No"
Guard: "Did you stop anywhere before the border to hide a gun ?"
Me: "Nope" (I had to stop myself from laughing)
Guard: "You have any alcohol with you?"
Me: "Yes, a couple of beers in the cooler".
Guard: "How many is a couple, 2 , 3 or 4 ?"
Me: "Let me think...I guess there's 3 left in the cooler".
Guard: "OK, you're free to go".
Funny how she wanted exact answers.
We crossed into Canada four years ago near Beaver Creek, very similar and bazar questions from the female customs person. "any firearms" No "any spirits" No, but we got a few beers, "there OK" then she says do you know a (can't recall name) riding a Harley, we say no, she says "if you see him tell him one of his panniers has been found on the road and its at the post office in Tok" we say Ok and are on are way.
have enjoyed your trip report and pictures has brought back good memories, time to do it again.
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #75
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,937
Thumb

Great report and pics. My girlfriend and I went up there in August for 21 days. First time for both of us, we went in a pickup w/ a slide in camper. Next time it will be on a bike, to do more exploring. Left Milwaukee and came back with another 9050 miles on the truck. After reading your report and seeing those sights again, I can't wait to get back up there. Maybe 2007? Anyone interested?
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote