Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #16
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3d View Post

excited about this bike, going to test ride tomorrow. Anyone ridden both the R and standard?
I've ridden both bikes, I liked the handling on the R model much better. I found the std model a little twitchy and not planted while the R was the opposite, super planted feeling and confidence inspiring.

I also liked the ergos of the R just a bit better, but not the sky high seat height.

I don't know if the handling of the std can be fixed otherwise I'd probably prefer it for my purposes. If not then I'd probably buy the R and figure out how to lower it.

My buddy who rode the std felt the same about the handling, kinda nervous feeling.

I'd absolutely ride both before making a decision. KTM is big on getting demo bikes out for these models. I rode them at a demo day event.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
At least three KTM 1190 engines trashed because of the airbox issue, and KTM don't issue a recall or honor the warranty?

Like I said earlier, my purchase decision is on hold pending satisfactory KTM response to purchasers of the 2013 1190 Adventure motorcycles. It's not the airbox issue I am worried about. Anyone can make a mistake so long as they do not fob the responsibility and cost of it onto purchasers. It is KTM's failure to issue recalls or honor their warranty that is my main concern. Who carries the cost of repairing the consequential engine damage, e.g. "rings were stuck in the piston grooves."? Also what is this doing to resale values of 1190's? Who will be able to trust the reliability of a second hand 1190 engine? These concerns are echoed by more than a dozen people who have watched and commented on the video posted by the OP. Here is the whole sorry story published on that YouTube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QjMx...ature=youtu.be

INVITATION: We need KTM to publish their "official" response here, please.
  1. When are all 2013 KTM 1190's going to be recalled and fixed?
  2. Will all 1190 engines be checked for cylinder / piston damage during recall?
  3. Will engines be repaired/ replaced under warranty if damage has occurred?
Your right........you should not buy a KTM 1190. Your BMW dealer can hook you up with a bike.......enjoy that.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #18
andy3d OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I've put down my deposit for Adventure R and next in line to get one hopefully with in the next 3 weeks. I really want one and feel for the people who have had problems but I do and must believe that issues have been resolved with the 2014 model.
andy3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #19
mesopotamia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"

I've gone ahead and ordered a 2014 "R" on the basis of assurances I received, backed by the 2 year KTM warranty.
2 years warranty for the std but one 1 year fir the R.
mesopotamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
trekkar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Went to see the 1190R and saw oil leaking out. It was on the showroom floor. It looks to have pooled up on the skid plate and then slowly overflowed out. Could it have just been sloppy setup? Do they come with oil in them or does the dealer install?

trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #21
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Could be just the result of an oil change without taking bash plate completely off, allowing the oil to drain onto the plate.

Check out my blog and let me know what you think
FuzzyDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote