Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
ahtoxa11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Visor color and riding conditions

OK Gang, I have a question.

Looking to get some input on visor colors: which colors/tints do you find best suited for which riding conditions?

I wear prescription glasses and don't really want to get contacts or prescription sunglasses at this time, so I'm looking at visor options.

My helmet came with two shields - a clear and a dark smoke. My dumbass scuffed the dark smoke shield by accident, so I'm looking for replacements and thus I'm here asking for recommendations.

Night riding - I've been using the clear shield in these conditions. Are there other better alternatives that cut the glare but don't reduce visibility?

Day riding - dark smoke works great on clear sunny days, which we have a lot of here in TX, but there are issues when I get into heavy shade or sudden overcast conditions.

Is something like amber/yellow good for bright and sunny days while allowing good visibility when overcast or under heavy shade? Does the yellow/amber provide better contrast/definition via filtering out some of the blue light, which increases depth perception?

Let's hear your experiences.
ahtoxa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
therealjared
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I've had decent luck lately with an amber screen for winter riding. On sunny days the shadows stay long so riding in and out of the woods can be a little trippy. It works better on pavement than dirt though. It's a little harder for me to see the lines in dirt with the amber shield for some reason.
therealjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,496
Cool2

I stick with either clear or dark grey tint. The darker Shoei visor is just right for bright days. The only problem I have is remembering to bring a long a light shield in case I don't get back before dark.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 5,220
I like a clear shield with a drop down internal tinted visor. Riding into a tunnel with either a tinted shield or sunglasses on is not a fun experience.
I currently ride with a Nolan N-104.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,962
I have used a orange tinted shield on my Shoei.
It seems to be a good compromise for a single shield to use in all conditions. At night it cuts the glare but not so much hard to see, and in the day does the same but not as well as the grey tinted ones.

I wear it when I dont know what conditions I am going to encounter.

or you can also go this route

http://e-tintproducts.com/ax10-motor...rt-ezp-48.html
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I stick with either clear or dark grey tint. The darker Shoei visor is just right for bright days. The only problem I have is remembering to bring a long a light shield in case I don't get back before dark.
I do the same, but keep a clear pair of safety glasses in my top case for those times I get caught after dark without the clear shield. Doesn't help the OP who is wearing prescription glasses. (Maybe get prescription safety glasses?)
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
I found Amber was good in a lot of situations. Smoke was great in some too. Neither were great with lots of lighting variances though IMHO. I've found Clear is the best all around solution for me. Mother nature made our eyes pretty dang adaptable.

I might try a transitions style shield or a helmet with a drop down visor shade some day.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Perhaps some goggles would suit you?

I have mirrored blue tinted ones and they are awesome everywhere.

Cloudy, overcast, dark woods riding, strobe light conditions when passing by the trees, and full sun or late day sun.

The peak on my XD3 helps keep the low sun out of my eyes, so there's that.

Have ridden in the dusk a few times getting home a little before full dark. It's fine, but putting them in my pack is a better idea probably.

They fit snugly inside my helmet, and the shield still closes and clicks shut.
There is a little more wind noise vs shield with no goggles.

You can ride with the shield cracked open in the cold to keep it from fogging without freezing your eyeballs off. Last year I was farting around with anti fog every other ride.

I haven't needed it this season exept for trail rides in the rain a couple times.

It took a while to fully get used to the slightly reduced peripheral vision.
Stretching my neck before riding helped out.

Anyway, some over the glasses (OTG) goggles are another option you might consider. Stowing goggles is way easier than carrying an extra shield and swapping.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,300
You can go the KLR route and just put a strip or two of electrical tape at the top of the visor to act as a sun shade. I did that for a bit. After laser surgery, I was told to wear sunglasses all the time for the next year so I got used to wearing sunglasses. I even can remove them while riding and stick them in a pocket as it gets dark. The tape trick worked until the eye surgery. My eyes became way more light sensitive after that.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,617
I use dark grey when the sun is out and clear when the moon is out.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Dual sport helmet (I have a Hornet) with a visor and a shield works great for me. I usually ride both at night and during the day, even if I'm just riding to work, so anything other than clear doesn't do much for me.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,923
I used a reflective gold Arai shield for a long time.

Not quite dark enough on the brightest days, but was nice morning and evening. The light tint, plus the gold reflective coating really cut down on unwanted glare.

Since then, I have just used a clear and a dark smoke screen interchangeably as needed.. The Arai screens are easy to change out.

Last year I got a Nolan N43e that has a drop down smoke screen. No need to swap screens around anymore.

Plus, I don't mind wearing sunglasses in my helmet. My eyes are sensitive to light, so I wear them whenever outdoors, anyway.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Clear at night. No color at all. Any color will reduce the light to your eyes. Nothing that cuts glare that won't also cut the little light you need at other times.

In bright sun, whatever best suits your eyes. It is personal. I like the Arai gray/green. I usually wear brown/bronze sun glasses for bright cloudy days.

Can you find cheapo clip on sun glasses for your eye glasses? If they're cheap enough, try several tints of gray, green, and brown. See which you like the best.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #14
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
Nothing that cuts glare that won't also cut the little light you need at other times.
Polarized lenses without an added tint can cut glare without otherwise reducing the amount of light making it to your eyes.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #15
D R
----

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtoxa11 View Post
OK Gang, I have a question.

Looking to get some input on visor colors: which colors/tints do you find best suited for which riding conditions?

I wear prescription glasses and don't really want to get contacts or prescription sunglasses at this time, so I'm looking at visor options.

My helmet came with two shields - a clear and a dark smoke. My dumbass scuffed the dark smoke shield by accident, so I'm looking for replacements and thus I'm here asking for recommendations.

Night riding - I've been using the clear shield in these conditions. Are there other better alternatives that cut the glare but don't reduce visibility?

Day riding - dark smoke works great on clear sunny days, which we have a lot of here in TX, but there are issues when I get into heavy shade or sudden overcast conditions.

Is something like amber/yellow good for bright and sunny days while allowing good visibility when overcast or under heavy shade? Does the yellow/amber provide better contrast/definition via filtering out some of the blue light, which increases depth perception?

Let's hear your experiences.
Have you considered Photochromic lenses?