ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 1,039
Question 2010 ADV Clutch Oil Jet Confusion

OK. Check this mess out:

As you'll no doubt be more than aware, the evil little sucker front and center bears [at least a passing] resemblance to what is commonly referred to as a 'Clutch Oil Jet'.

As you'll also no doubt immediately spot (aside from the fact that it somehow got a bit mangled ), there doesn't seem to be too much 'jet' going on, and what appears to be a whole lot of the 'plug' about it.

Which is somewhat confusing to me.

Here's the backstory...

Last weekend I decided to check the fabled 'clutch oil jet' in my 2010 ADV for the first time (and yes, yes, now I know that I coulda just jammed a geetar string through in situ, but I just had to know if it came out... ). However, the little bugger was not for leaving his home under any circumstances. I mean really, truly, genuinely and solidly stuck.

After trying penetrating oil, heat and every appropriate tool (even machining up a couple of new ones!) in the shop, along with much swearing, the screw head jet ended up pretty chewed up . So unless that part is actually meant to be in there, I’ll have little choice but to extract it now. However…

In the process of destroying the screw head (), I took the attached photo, which prompted a fair bit of lurking, Internetting and head scratching.

You see, I knew that early model 950s came plugged up and that it was a while before a jet was advised in service updates etc. I have also heard tales of the odd 990 coming from the factory with a plug instead of a jet – even relatively new ones. But I have no idea whether this is on purpose or just grab-bin chaos on the production line. The parts fiche doesn't seem to list a jet. But, then again, I can't find any evidence of a plug in it either...

So, my question is; have any of y'all ever seen the part in the pic? If we forget about the stripped out head , can any one say whether it definitely is a plug / plugged jet, or just a tore up jet?

I’ll confess I didn’t take a peak at it at the start of the job – only getting the inspection mirror out when things got sticky. Regardless, I cant seem to find a definitive answer on what should have been in that there hole.

My bike does run overly hot at low speeds, when it really shouldn’t, and I did suspected that an under-lubed clutch might be part of the problem (hence the messy R&R), even though – thanks to my luvverly CJDesigns clear clutch cover - I could see that the plates, at least, were getting a decent squirt of oil when revved. That said, I'm not convinced that too little oil on the push rod (which seems to be in good shape) would contribute to any excessive heat.

I'm kinda hoping that the 2010 is meant to be plugged. Because if not, that sucker needs to be replaced with a jet. In that case, any experience anyone may have with the extraction of a buggered up jet (I’m currently favoring a close-quarters right–angle drill and Snap-on carbide left–hand bits with cutting wax and / or shop vac / compressed air to catch as many shavings as possible) would be appreciated. 'Cause if that goes wrong, a full, unscheduled teardown might well be on the cards…

But (asking for trouble) even if it does come plugged, would replacing it with a jet be of benefit in terms of reliability?

I'm sure I could have summed up all of the above with "2010 ADV: clutch oil jet or plug?", but we Inmates do like our details!

Thanks for your time and any input you might have.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 11:10 AM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
not much help but, mine in my 2011 was pretty tight the first time I took it out too. I managed to get mine out with an appropriately sized bit for a drill/driver. Make sure it fits snugly, put a wrench on it and tap the end with a hammer while you turn it ( a third hand is nice even if it an 8 year old).
I don't think it has anything to do with the heating issue mine was the same way, burping the system helped a lot, specially the top plug at the water pump.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
not much help but, mine in my 2011 was pretty tight the first time I took it out too. I managed to get mine out with an appropriately sized bit for a drill/driver. Make sure it fits snugly, put a wrench on it and tap the end with a hammer while you turn it ( a third hand is nice even if it an 8 year old).
I don't think it has anything to do with the heating issue mine was the same way, burping the system helped a lot, specially the top plug at the water pump.
Thanks, mate. Unfortunately, I was able to get good purchase on the screw head and downward pressure. All that happened was it got even more mangled than in the pic. If it's coming out, it's coming out the hard way.

And yup - this was part of a new sprockets (16 / 45 for a laugh ) and chain, oil change and coolant flush refresh... Which got slightly derailed by this situation. Hoping to have it all sorted by the end of the week though.

BritKit LLC
Old 01-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
good luck
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

P.S. Anyone know the PN for the 0.3mm jet at all? CJ's gonna send me one of his custom 0.5mm ones, but he's stacked out, so it might be a while. Not an expensive part, so even if I don't need it, it can live in my trail tool kit in case someone might at some point.

BritKit LLC
Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Part # for 2006 960 Adv

Here's the part # for my bike 2006 950 Adv - I had it on a spreadsheet here at work...

60030063070OIL JET 70 M5

KTMTwins has an online microfiche that I use a lot. Might give that a try to make sure it's the same for your year.

Good luck,
Matthew.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroddis View Post
Here's the part # for my bike 2006 950 Adv - I had it on a spreadsheet here at work...

60030063070OIL JET 70 M5

KTMTwins has an online microfiche that I use a lot. Might give that a try to make sure it's the same for your year.

Good luck,
Matthew.
Fantastic, mate. However, right on cue, I was able to get the number for the stocker, in case anyone else needs it. It is: REDUCING JET 30 M6X0,75 60038029200

BritKit LLC
Old 01-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Fantastic, mate. However, right on cue, I was able to get the number for the stocker, in case anyone else needs it. It is: REDUCING JET 30 M6X0,75 60038029200
Yup, that's what I bought after almost destroying mine getting it out, also while changing my gearing to 16:45. Sheesh, who thought up that assembly?

In the end, I didn't screw the original up too bad, so I was able to put it back in. The new one (with the same part number as yours, for my 2008 Adv) was $15.26 as is now resting in my KTM parts drawer waiting for my next attempt to ruin the one in the bike now.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
Yup, that's what I bought after almost destroying mine getting it out, also while changing my gearing to 16:45. Sheesh, who thought up that assembly?

In the end, I didn't screw the original up too bad, so I was able to put it back in. The new one (with the same part number as yours, for my 2008 Adv) was $15.26 as is now resting in my KTM parts drawer waiting for my next attempt to ruin the one in the bike now.
Yep. You gotta laugh... Mine is completely fooked though, so we'll wait and see...

Got one of these point-fivers from our mate Craig on the way too - always good to have options:

Nice to know, it's not just me!

BritKit LLC
Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,322
My 990R came with a "vulcan" style oil jet, so getting a string to clean it won't be easy with that style jet.

Swapped the drilled out jet from the 950 to feed some more oil to the rekluse clutch:

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
are you using the 8mm bit? It makes a huge difference. I was in the same situation and thought it was stuck in there for good. by the look of your jet you still have enough to get it out. apply some heat and try again with 8mm bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
I made a mess of my clutch jet. i was careful but it doesn't want to budge. So I tried cleaning it while it's still in there but no luck there either. I've put a few drops of carb cleaner down there and I still can't seem to unclog with a 10 guitar string. I've read all the clutch jet threads but I've run out of ideas. Any tips to help me out??
felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #12
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
My 990R came with a "vulcan" style oil jet, so getting a string to clean it won't be easy with that style jet.

Swapped the drilled out jet from the 950 to feed some more oil to the rekluse clutch:

/Johan
Ah-hah! The plot thickens... Looks like a Vulcan style jet is what I got / had. Just need to determine whether it is actually ruined and needs replacing. Problem is, I can't think of any way to do that other than leaving it in for a while (although that wont necessarily tell me whether it's working as it should), or yanking it out... Which will of course, ruin it. Great.

Thanks for the info, Johan.

BritKit LLC
Old 01-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Ah-hah! The plot thickens... Looks like a Vulcan style jet is what I got / had. Just need to determine whether it is actually ruined and needs replacing. Problem is, I can't think of any way to do that other than leaving it in for a while (although that wont necessarily tell me whether it's working as it should), or yanking it out... Which will of course, ruin it. Great.

Thanks for the info, Johan.
Might add that mine is a 2011 not sure when they changed to the "vulcan" style from factory, the 2004 had a normal "valley" jet, drilled mine out to a full 1 mm, its hard to find neutral with engine running, slight drag but not bad.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixblack1 View Post
are you using the 8mm bit? It makes a huge difference. I was in the same situation and thought it was stuck in there for good. by the look of your jet you still have enough to get it out. apply some heat and try again with 8mm bit

Man, that looks horribly familiar - same type of jet and everything. I did actually use an 8mm bit on the final attempt and it gripped up perfect. Despite that, it still turned out to be the attempt where the screw head pretty much disintegrated.

It looks a fair bit worse for wear that in either of our photos now. Maybe one more try before the lefty-hand drill comes out.

Congrats on your successful recovery though. I'll bet that felt damned good!

BritKit LLC
Old 01-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #15
felixblack1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Man, that looks horribly familiar - same type of jet and everything. I did actually use an 8mm bit on the final attempt and it gripped up perfect. Despite that, it still turned out to be the attempt where the screw head pretty much disintegrated.

It looks a fair bit worse for wear that in either of our photos now. Maybe one more try before the lefty-hand drill comes out.

Congrats on your successful recovery though. I'll bet that felt damned good!
It sure did!! I had lost aImost all hope and was ready to drill it out but I tried once more and heard a click and thought great there goes the last remaining grip that I had... more chunks of brass stuck down there... But to my suprise it came loose put a few drops of penetrating oil down there and let it soak over night then heat up the aluminium surrounding it with a propane torch and give it one last try. Use a right angled rachet screw driver like picture below with plenty of down force. Attach a straw to a vuccum cleaner and suck up all the bits of brass. Good luck!!

felixblack1 is offline   Reply With Quote