Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #76
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
2011 Street Glide and an Electra Glide before that. For the past decade If I'm riding the tunes are on. NP for me with Tunes all the time and in any riding scenario, exactly the same for me if i am driving. Just plug the IPOD in and hit go.

Stock HD speakers and radio, stock pipes, can hear the tunes up to 90mph just fine. Full face, half helmet or no helmet depending on where I am riding and the mood I'm in that day.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #77
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
not bored

I listen to the engine, and the grasshoppers in my right ear.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #78
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,508
I listen to music all the time, I have over 20K songs on my ipod so never a dull moment. I use the etymotic 6is but as has been discussed, those have been discontinued. It cuts down the wind noise and since my riding is 95% on two lane roads in the country I'm not overly concerned about distractions.

Before the etymotic, I had these, but sadly they're also discontinued. They doubled as extra amour too!

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #79
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
Music

The right music makes me do wheelies! Maybe I should just sing to myself.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #80
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
I listen to music all the time, I have over 20K songs on my ipod so never a dull moment. I use the etymotic 6is but as has been discussed, those have been discontinued. It cuts down the wind noise and since my riding is 95% on two lane roads in the country I'm not overly concerned about distractions.

Before the etymotic, I had these, but sadly they're also discontinued. They doubled as extra amour too!
They still make bone conduction headphones. Here's one random example: https://www.aftershokz.com/
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #81
firstr8
Walter Mitty Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
First Version:
I took a cheap set of ear buds, KOSS, I think,
with the rubber tip, not just the screen, and rolled a thin bead of Mack's pillow soft silicone ear plugs around it and filled the ear cavity.

The combination of the plug and the bud, blocked the noise and let me listen to the music without having to crank it. Rode 8 hrs on the interstate, listening to music, not wind. I already have some ringing and don't want it to ge worse.

Second Version:
This past Xmas, I saw that AlienEars.com was running a sale on some custom buds, so I ordered a set, and at the same time, ordered a set of ear plugs, (for running the power tools, chain saw, etc).
They are for musicians, but do a lot of work with motorcyclists as well.

One fit perfectly, the other hurt a bit.
Like others have mentioned, my right ear canal is a little kinky.
The company asked me to send just the one plug back and they will trim it a bit to get a better fit.

I haven't gotten it back yet, but initial testing was awesome!

It doesn't have the active noise canceling feature of the Bose, but they have a pretty good overall fit and easy to don a helmet with them.

They send free impression kit and good instructions and videos to make your own, but I opted for the pro, just because we have one in the family. $30 to get a set of impressions from a audiologist.
One thing, make sure you mention whether you sing or not...not in a band, just on the bike. makes a difference in the fitting.

firstr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #82
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 935
EarFuze

I ordered and received the Introductory demo product from EarFuze, after seeing an inmate advertise their unopened kit for sale on the big board. Got them last week and have just tried out the in ear buds but haven't rolled the putty together yet to make the complete in ear molded pieces.

They sounded OK with the test music I choose that was on my smart phone. I also got my Starcomm1 kit from another inmate recently and may look at combining all this stuff together to build the "in helmet and in my ear" delux stereo system!

There ear a few threads with inmate reviews on the product here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470975

I will get on this and then test them out on the commute real soon...now that warmer weather has returned!
Old 03-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #83
HerbTarlek
meh.

Oddometer: 11
I used those Koss plugs when they first came out. They worked as is but werent ideal and hurt a bit.
Around 1999 I ordered a set of silicone molded "Challenger" series earphones from precision labs in Fla. They still work today and are the most comfortable I've had under a helmet.
IMHO, as an amatuer musician the Alien ears earphones suck. I have a set I use at the gym because they suck so bad for the intended musical purpose. No low end reproduction whatsoever. I sent them back twice with no change. Plus, the hard shell may hurt after a while under a helmet. They may work fine for hearing something though as you wont hear any low end at speed anyway.
Now I use Aurisonics out of Nashville. No complaints at all. They are pricey though if considered for just motorcycling.
If I had to get a set for motorcycling again I'd go back to the challengers. Now Im just using earplugs withe the stock speakers from the SMH-10 now. :-)
HerbTarlek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #84
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,803
I remember someone had a thread about this a few years ago and there were lots of different opinions for sure.

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea to do anything to take your mind off of riding or anything that takes you away from the immediacy at hand. You need to be sharp when you ride, even if your traveling or touring. We already have enough things trying to kill us - we certainly dont need to be screwing around with a phone or an iPod, trying to find the right song, podcast, feature film - who cares. you're riding, so ride.

Personally, Im a purist and enjoy listening to the engine. Just a few weeks ago I was riding my GS along and started to hear some horrible engine clatter. The Beemer had digested the Cam Chain Rail and I was cruising toward a catastrophic engine failure. Had I not heard it, I very well could have had the engine seize say, on the freeway at 80 mph. i Dont even want to think about that.
I supposed beemers in the future will have their own bluetooth channel and will come on over your music and tell you whats wrong with the engine.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #85
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Personally, I think it's a terrible idea to do anything to take your mind off of riding or anything that takes you away from the immediacy at hand. You need to be sharp when you ride, even if your traveling or touring. We already have enough things trying to kill us - we certainly dont need to be screwing around with a phone or an iPod, trying to find the right song, podcast, feature film - who cares. you're riding, so ride.
I listen to music when I ride for longer distances, but I'm definitely not screwing around with the music player [my phone] while I'm on the bike. I turn on the music on shuffle [1.200 songs], drop the phone in an interior pocket, and ride out. When I stop, I turn off the music.

I find that I am not distracted by music on my bike any more than I am in my car. I keep the volume down [which is thanks to the foam insert earbuds, which block quite a lot of the wind roar] and I have no problem hearing traffic, horns, the engine, women shouting my name and wanting to bear my children, that sort of thing.

But I definitely agree that you probably shouldn't be messing around trying to find that one particular AC/DC song while you're riding.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #86
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
I remember someone had a thread about this a few years ago and there were lots of different opinions for sure.

Personally, Im a purist and enjoy listening to the engine. Just a few weeks ago I was riding my GS along and started to hear some horrible engine clatter. The Beemer had digested the Cam Chain Rail and I was cruising toward a catastrophic engine failure. Had I not heard it, I very well could have had the engine seize say, on the freeway at 80 mph. i Dont even want to think about that.
I supposed beemers in the future will have their own bluetooth channel and will come on over your music and tell you whats wrong with the engine.

So, you aren't able to listen to music and ride at the same time? Cool. Some people can.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #87
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
But I definitely agree that you probably shouldn't be messing around trying to find that one particular AC/DC song while you're riding.
yeah - I could never do that. I would crash in the first block.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #88
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
yeah - I could never do that. I would crash in the first block.
Same here. This is why I also don't chew gum while I ride.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #89
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
I put my phone on PLAY and get whatever MP3 plays next. I haven't really tried internet radio while I'm riding, but i did just install iHeart radio.
I just don't want to get stuck on something I don't like while riding, because I don't fiddle with the phone at all- fire and forget.

I wear earplugs and listen over a Sena SMH10. I love this unit, and have 3 of them now.

The added benefit is I can use my Android for navigation, and it will break in over the music to give me directions, then the music resumes.
The phone in the tank bag is plugged into the bike so it doesn't die.
Phone calls work the same way, but I've only taken a brief call once while riding. I don't spend much time on the phone. Good news is, the caller couldn't tell I was riding while talking via Sena.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #90
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
The added benefit is I can use my Android for navigation, and it will break in over the music to give me directions, then the music resumes.
I forgot to mention that I do this also. Even with music playing on my phone, I use the Android Navigator app when I'm in an unfamiliar town, and like FLT900 said, it will break into the music, provide directions, then resume my music. Very convenient.