Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #31
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 835
I was lurking about in Nelson town today and spotted another bumble bee GS, it was a little dusty though .
Man you've got a common bike Woodman

Also while I'm here.... was that Keiran I saw wearing a repco shirt on saturday ?
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #32
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
slippers....hand knitted...
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #33
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
You got a good buy there.

could you give us the chassis number and we can put this argument to bed if its a GS PD

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #34
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
You got a good buy there.

could you give us the chassis number and we can put this argument to bed if its a GS PD
Just checked the chassis number against the pdfs on BM bikes and it is not a PD but a GS.

Someone must have converted it presumably ?

Whats the difference between them anyway?

Is their a cure for this sickness I seem to have just got?
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #35
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,360
So are you getting emulators for the front & a Siebenrock 1070 kit?
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #36
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Someone must have converted it presumably ?

Whats the difference between them anyway?
GS

GSPD

Once you have made the first move down the airhead road, there is no cure.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #37
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
David, the bikes a 91-92.

Woodman the differences are primarily cosmetic, & were:
  • 35 litre tank ctw 24 litre for the GS;
  • Decals;
  • The fairing sides shortened to accommodate the tank;
  • Bash plate;
  • Beak extension on the front mudguard
  • Cylinder bra.

Some kits came with the single seat & replacement seat rack. No differences in engine, drivetrain or frame.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 02:10 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #38
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post

Woodman the differences are primarily cosmetic, & were:
  • 35 litre tank ctw 34 litre for the GS;
  • Decals;
  • The fairing sides shortened to accommodate the tank;
  • Bash plate;
  • Beak extension on the front mudguard
  • Cylinder bra.

Some kits came with the single seat & replacement seat rack. No differences in engine, drivetrain or frame.
Ah yeah, I don't like the look of those, so no pic saved on my computer. Can you spot the small typo in your post, Steve?

Edit: Not the best pic, but shows how the later GS has the fairing combined with the smaller tank.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 02:22 PM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #39
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Oh noes, I have been reading the internets.

How do I know if my driveshaft is kaputt?

Greasing splines?

Do I have to pull the driveshaft out after every ride, or is this a KLR doohickey type thing and is largely not worth the worry?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #40
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,994
  • The thing explodes as you are going down the road, you lose drive, & you call the AA, or;
  • You take it out when you are doing other servicing where the swingarm needs to be dropped, & check the rotation of the UJ for roughness or slop. Also look at the triangular dampner, & see if that is getting (more) out of phase, or;
  • You ry to act proactively & get just one UJ (not the one that normally needs work) replaced, like Padmei, & pay just about as much as a new non OEM UJ;
  • You panic like the Americans & replace it before any trip away.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #41
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
  • The thing explodes as you are going down the road, you lose drive, & you call the AA, or;
  • You take it out when you are doing other servicing where the swingarm needs to be dropped, & check the rotation of the UJ for roughness or slop. Also look at the triangular dampner, & see if that is getting (more) out of phase, or;
  • You ry to act proactively & get just one UJ (not the one that normally needs work) replaced, like Padmei, & pay just about as much as a new non OEM UJ;
  • You panic like the Americans & replace it before any trip away.
Orrrr.... You don't worry about it, Just ride the bike
I was thinking of you on Sunday as I was making wiggly lines/furrows on the freshly graded Maruia saddle road on my way home. Would've been a good place for you to try the 800 out
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #42
MarKTM
Garmin Geek

Oddometer: 20
Quote:

That is what mine is looking like at present in the garage. Pretty easy to dismantle and work on if required....
MarKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #43
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Noticed a bit of weepage out the diff breather after the ride the other night. I blame Jatz for riding it at near warp speed.

Anyway read the internets and apparently 260ml of oil is the go so drained the diff and 350ml came out of black oil. No filings on the magnet so thats good.

Put in 260ml of full synthetic stuff and buttoned it up. Then checked the gearbox oil and that was about right as my first squeeze of oil into the hole overflowed it. The oil was clean, presumably changed when the neutral switch was done recently by the PO.

Questions.

Can the diff oil leak into the rear brakes?

Am I best to just keep an eye on levels to make sure oil isn't flowing from gearbox to diff? Is that even possible?

Is weeping oil out the diff breather normal?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #44
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Noticed a bit of weepage out the diff breather after the ride the other night. I blame Jatz for riding it at near warp speed.

Anyway read the internets and apparently 260ml of oil is the go so drained the diff and 350ml came out of black oil. No filings on the magnet so thats good.

Put in 260ml of full synthetic stuff and buttoned it up. Then checked the gearbox oil and that was about right as my first squeeze of oil into the hole overflowed it. The oil was clean, presumably changed when the neutral switch was done recently by the PO.

Questions.

Can the diff oil leak into the rear brakes?

Am I best to just keep an eye on levels to make sure oil isn't flowing from gearbox to diff? Is that even possible?

Is weeping oil out the diff breather normal?
Umm you called it a diff - I got in trouble for calling it that. Its' correct name is final drive.
I have found traces of damp dust around the breather cap which indicates to me that there is a minimal amount of oil weeping/ blown out.

the big prob when adv riding is the gearbox & FD get hot then suck in water when doing water crossings hence the gearbox breather tubes nutso & I have put on. Were you there on the 1st DB when I went up a long climb & the oil began blowing out the gearbox breather tube under the seat? No? oh well mustn't have happened then.

The oil will only go onto the rear brakes of the rear seal inside the hub is faulty. I have replace mine when I got it - easy job.

The older monos had a wet driveshaft - although there are seals between gearbox, DS & FD there is oil in all 3 items. The paras (yours is a para) has a dry driveshaft housing. You can check if the seals are ok by carefully slipping off the rear rubber boot & see if any oil comes out. A lil bit - a spoonful? is ok but anymore then seals need replacing. this isn't a big job but certain tools are required.

TBH you should get the manual out & take the DS out to have a looksie at it. I can take mine out inspect & button up within an hour now. I would be interested to see if your DS is out of phase & if so by how much.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #45
Padmei
enamoured

I was thinking about your reluctance to take Black Betty (bamalam) off road & it reminded me of when I 1st got Schmidt.

I believe a big part of it is the physical size of the fairing. With the screen, dash & roobars there is a wide visual block between the rider & the front wheel. Usually with an offroad bike you have a pretty good view of the mudguard & wheel.
With the GS ones however you don't have that connection. I reckon that is bit of a mental thing.
Of course there are a lot of guys (like Stagehand) that race a standard looking bike pretty fricking well & a lot of Rallyraid bikes are pretty covered up so maybe I'm talking out my arse.
i found the first few rides on Schmidt with just the small headlite were a lot cooler than with the woolly mammoth head GS fairing.

I don't know how you manage to change gear without a sidestand to guide your foot into the appropriate position.