ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #316
Gargoyle OP
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrivermaz View Post
starting on the right side of your phone, about even with the hundreths digit position, slide your finger to the left. You will see zero. tap it. That works for the A side. Also, you can tap the top of the tenths to add mileage or tap the bottom of the tenths to subtract mileage. The B side is a whole different story!
A Rally Blitz expert emerges!
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #317
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
A Rally Blitz expert emerges!
someone has to be first.

Rode 50+ miles in the rain yesterday working on the route.

Maz drove (4WD with heat) over 90 checking another part.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #318
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Rode 50+ miles in the rain yesterday working on the route.
I rode some old routes from Sandisfield up through Adams from 12-4 yesterday. Hardly anyone (car, bike, foot) was out...
Old 04-29-2014, 04:17 AM   #319
Undercover Poe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I have Friday off but am going to go to Springfield and get the Mass off road registration and then head over to Mt. Prospect. May do some tooling around after I unload.

Do you need Mass off road registration for this event? Or is street legal fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Undercover Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #320
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrivermaz View Post
starting on the right side of your phone, about even with the hundreths digit position, slide your finger to the left. You will see zero. tap it. That works for the A side. Also, you can tap the top of the tenths to add mileage or tap the bottom of the tenths to subtract mileage. The B side is a whole different story!
To access the menu TAP the three bars to left of heading degrees. (I'm so used to swiping down I was missing it)
You need to put in the pass code to reset B trip, if you delete the pass code it will be one less step to adjust as you need to key in B trip adjustments

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #321
nobody
motomaniac

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover Poe View Post
Do you need Mass off road registration for this event? Or is street legal fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No need for orv sticker just registration and insurance .
Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 AM   #322
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
No need for orv sticker just registration and insurance .
Correct. Everything on the route is a town road. You could legally drive a vehicle (4wd only in many spots) down any of them.

Just for planning purposes for those who can only make one day:

Saturday is longer and has tougher (steeper) hero sections. 140+ possible miles if you did all hero sections.

Sunday is a bit shorter and the hero sections aren't as difficult.(still challenging, but not as steep)
120 miles, to get people and workers back with enough time to break things down, pack up and head for home.

So if you have to pick one day or the other, there you go.

Gasoline shouldn't be an issue, as there is fuel available inside the first 20 miles each day, so you don't have to worry about starting full each morning.

Saturday you will be able to buy lunch(and more gas) at a really nice store with a deli.

Sunday food is at a conveinence store stop with standard fare and fuel.

and don't forget, Saturday's supper is included with your entry. Additional Saturday dinner tickets can be purchased for those who have people with them who aren't riding.

Remember too; the fire dept will be selling coffe and breakfast items both mornings at the start area.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 06:05 AM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #323
Sefto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Rally Blitz Feedback

This from one of our pre-riders...

Pros:
I used black background and red characters. Very clear.
The tapping to increase or decrease tenths is very useful.

Cons:
As one could imagine, no cell service, no mileage. And you need to have it on charge continuously while using it, otherwise it draws the battery down quickly.

I lost cell service twice on the Saturday route, and therefore, mileage did not continue until I entered the next cell and by then it was 5-6 miles off. These units are probably good in the plains states and in cities, or as a secondary device, but not in the hidden hills of MA!
Sefto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #324
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefto View Post
This from one of our pre-riders...

Pros:
I used black background and red characters. Very clear.
The tapping to increase or decrease tenths is very useful.

Cons:
As one could imagine, no cell service, no mileage. And you need to have it on charge continuously while using it, otherwise it draws the battery down quickly.

I lost cell service twice on the Saturday route, and therefore, mileage did not continue until I entered the next cell and by then it was 5-6 miles off. These units are probably good in the plains states and in cities, or as a secondary device, but not in the hidden hills of MA!
I'm surprised it uses cell and not GPS like the maps app. I hear they are working on the app not cutting the music out for the next update.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
Old 04-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #325
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,212
it's a shame they didn't write the rally blitz app to include the android ecosystem. at least you have a chance at a element hardened device (samsung/sony/garmin Monterra and more coming out all the time) without resorting to cases or otterboxes. of course as soon as you plug in a usb cable to charge your phone any weather sealing is gone. the garmin monterra while having a high cost of entry, is fully weather hardened in its default powered condition, will work with any gloves on, and you get the benefit the android ecosystem (locus, orux, osmand are all excellent apps for navigation of tracks and/or routes).

edit: i guess i should say there are definitely no shortages of rally/tsd apps for android in the market...as well as a roll chart app...so BTR, how about an electronic version of the roll chart since you won't publish a GPX track (which I'm totally fine with). electronic roll charts could be my impetus to belly up to the bar and pick up the monterra.

loph917 screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 11:15 AM
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #326
madrivermaz
Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,934
Hmmm....
Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #327
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
edit: i guess i should say there are definitely no shortages of rally/tsd apps for android in the market...as well as a roll chart app...so BTR, how about an electronic version of the roll chart since you won't publish a GPX track (which I'm totally fine with). electronic roll charts could be my impetus to belly up to the bar and pick up the monterra.

Rally Navigator ( http://www.rallynavigator.com/ ) appears to be free and now has a feature to make small sized roll charts.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #328
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,212
so after further review, the android rollchart app i linked to would be useful as a paper replacement - but it does not do any 'real time' odometer readings or adjustments. it would work just like a paper roll chart, with the added advantage of tulip diagrams, and a simple touch of the screen to advance it forward/backward. any odometer discrepancies would be corrected by "math in your head". this is a great start - it's too bad the author hasn't done anything with it since 2010.

i looked for an odometer app that would mimic the ability of a trip computer and i didn't stumble across anything terribly useful.

the rally navigator app looks very cool. if you had an electronic roll chart holder. otherwise having to scroll through 1-2" of paper for each turn would be a) distracting your eyes from the road and b) annoying.

all the android rally/tsd apps i looked at are way too complicated for simple rollchat navigation that is required for these events.

so bottom line, a gpx track is still the best solution.

my roll chart holder is on my "skinny" bike which is currently in upstate new york; so i'll be looking to use the rollchart app on my phone ... i'll be doing a lot of typing!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #329
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,322
You can just follow me, because I'll be following someone that has a roll chart.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #330
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post

so bottom line, a gpx track is still the best solution.
Boo hisssss
Roll Charts RULE I mean, it is an adventure ride after all

Lord John Whorfin