Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Photo Scavenger hunt- New Zealand!

Hi Guys,
It's been almost 6 years since I rode New Zealand & I'm just now getting around to organizing my pics. I started by recreating a google map of my route through the N. & South islands mostly by memory. I'd like to improve this map's accuracy and I'm trying to do so by reviewing details of some of the photos I took.

So- here is an album of some of the photos that I can't remember the specific location of. If you recognize any of these locations, please name 'em off so I can continue to refine this map. Some of them will be pretty easy I'm sure, and others near impossible, but anyway, maybe it'll be fun. Either way, I'd appreciate any help!
Cheers!
-k
Also- I can't remember if I made it to Invercargill, or turned east toward Dunedin... I definitely went east eventually and rode to Christchurch, but I whizzed right through most of the lower east coast. If there's anything particularly memorable about those areas/towns please post that too!

2steelwheels screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 11:36 AM
2steelwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
cybrdyke
In the Dark

Oddometer: 306
I believe that the large sailboat hull is just outside the aukland marina, IIRC.
Try this....
Google has a feature called "image search". You can paste your picture into it and it will search for other similar pictures. Surely, someone else has taken a picture from the same spots that you have. You'll likely find several and they may have notations with them, describing where they are.
Good luck.
CD
cybrdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdyke View Post
I believe that the large sailboat hull is just outside the aukland marina, IIRC.
Try this....
Google has a feature called "image search". You can paste your picture into it and it will search for other similar pictures. Surely, someone else has taken a picture from the same spots that you have. You'll likely find several and they may have notations with them, describing where they are.
Good luck.
CD
Thanks! I actually already tried that out with the wavy white bridge pic, thinking the waves and composition would be a good candidate for an image search- unfortunately it didn't return any matches. Still- a good suggestion! thanks! I think you're right about that boat. I was pretty sure that was Auckland. There are also a few I'm about to add from this cool pub in Nelson that was called (I think) "The Fiddler". I think it was closing though, so they were doing a pig roast to celebrate. I'd like to know where it was though and/or what's become of it now.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,372
I'm pretty sure the "Maen fiddler" became a club called "elsewhere". It is on Bridge st & is a black wall on the outside & not much better on the inside.
I had to do some wiring on the place when it changed hands - suprised it stayed standing for so long to be honest.
I think you may have had a few guinesses if it looked good to you
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

Hahaha... thanks! It was a dive to be sure- but the experience was great due to the company, and the slow roasted pig with applesauce... 1st time i'd tried that combination! I guess the owner has kept busy since then.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

I just found this one in Christchurch using google streetview- the image was strikingly similar! THEN, just for awesome points, I dug out my red & blue glasses and viewed the scene in 3d. Isn't technology amazing?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 731
You Nelson lads, isn;t this the Takaka Hill lookout back towards Nelson:
http://i.imgur.com/Vk5uALe.jpg

Not sure if this is a part of the platform, it's been about 5 years since I stopped up the lookout:
http://i.imgur.com/Y4TRJmC.jpg

I think this one is Ohau Point seal colony, SH1 north of Kaikoura:
http://i.imgur.com/QdwLuK0.jpg

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

Te Hopo:
Thanks! Both guesses fit nicely into the puzzle. The Lookout (& you can almost read the sign) was a relatively short ride from Nelson somewhere. & the other pic was trying to capture some of the seals in the pic. I did a whale tour in Kaikoura and traveled north from there. There is some nice imagery at google street view that definitely jogs the memory, though I can't seem to find that vantage point, or identify a specific rock formation. Anyway, here's that link if you're curious! thanks again!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Hi, the pools look like this
http://www.waingarohotsprings.co.nz/
I'm guessing you did Highway 22
Bridge is pretty generic to Waikato area but my guess is Tuakau
http://evolvingnewsroom.co.nz/summer...mpbells-beach/
( scroll down)
Past the Bombays no idea as there are dragons there.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2steelwheels View Post
Te Hopo:
Thanks! Both guesses fit nicely into the puzzle. The Lookout (& you can almost read the sign) was a relatively short ride from Nelson somewhere. & the other pic was trying to capture some of the seals in the pic. I did a whale tour in Kaikoura and traveled north from there. There is some nice imagery at google street view that definitely jogs the memory, though I can't seem to find that vantage point, or identify a specific rock formation. Anyway, here's that link if you're curious! thanks again!
All good mate, just glad I could help in some way.

I'm on my way with my younger sister down past Ohau Point on Friday morning, I'll save a copy of the pic to my phone and just check if I can find that vantage point.

Which is gonna be great, as my sister hates Ohau and it's "smelly bloody seals"

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

Thanks Voltaire!
The waterpark's definitely a winner! The pic of the bridge is a little harder to confirm since you said its a typical design of the area. I don't actually remember others particularly, but the one in your example, though very very close seems to have a street lamp at the end and some other landscape differences... now that may be due to just time passed, but I'm not totally convinced yet. Anyway, thanks for the tip!

PS. it's also those vertical posts you can see shadows of in my pic.. maybe the other is just taken past them... I dunno. Either way I can't find them on googlemaps to pin.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #12
KTM_Paul
Sans KTM

Oddometer: 1,389
The Tree lined street with the give way signs is Arrowtown, it looked familiar and if you go to google maps and search Arrowtown Police then go to street view you'll pretty much see your photo :)
click the link below
https://www.google.com.au/maps/previ...EnFg!2e0&fid=5
Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #13
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_Paul View Post
The Tree lined street with the give way signs is Arrowtown, it looked familiar and if you go to google maps and search Arrowtown Police then go to street view you'll pretty much see your photo :)
click the link below
https://www.google.com.au/maps/previ...EnFg!2e0&fid=5
Hey! thanks! That was definitely one of the harder ones! Arrowtown definitely rings a bell. I'd just stopped in for a pint at the pub to the left in that pic.. (I think it was to the left). And there was a little library/info stop to the right I believe. And a cute little downtown area with a stream to the left that you could pan for gold or something... is that about right?
Anyway, I've updated my map- thanks!

I'm pretty sure at this point that after Queenstown i made a beeline for Christchurch as i was running out of time and it was getting cold!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
bikergirl
Shalala...

Oddometer: 25
Really like the pics, thank you for sharing! Also thx for the route! Quiet interesting!
Do you think you'll do a trip again someday?
bikergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
2steelwheels OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergirl View Post
Really like the pics, thank you for sharing! Also thx for the route! Quiet interesting!
Do you think you'll do a trip again someday?
Thanks! Those aren't even the good pics, just the unknown ones! It was amazing, and I'd love to do another trip there- I actually had bought a GS1100 out there and had it break down halfway through and sold it basically for parts by the end. The lower half of the tour was done with panniers & biker gear while driving a rented nissan pulsar.

Anyway, I would go back in a heartbeat if i I could afford it. I'd at least need a NZ client so I could write off the trip! Anyone need invention/design work?