Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #151
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I was referring to the being able to sleep anywhere part. Maybe if you looked at the lighter side of life you might sleep better?
How could I look at the lighter side even more?
It's no problem to sleep anywhere, but my bed is just the best place for it, not the ground somewhere in the woods besides the road and not the seat of a car.
So if I have the choice I don't compromise. I ride my bike on the road and sleep in my bed instead of driving a cage and sleeping in it.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #152
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
It's no problem to sleep anywhere, but my bed is just the best place for it, not the ground somewhere in the woods besides the road and not the seat of a car.
So if I have the choice I don't compromise. I ride my bike on the road and sleep in my bed instead of driving a cage and sleeping in it.
Sounds like a compromise to me.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #153
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,077
Quote:
Uncomfortable? Dude, I can sleep on an airplane in coach for 8 hours straight and wake up refreshed. My Tundra is 10 times more comfortable then an airplane. And sleeping while I'm riding my motocycle is pretty damn dangerous.
It's all part of the adventure experience.

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #154
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bags View Post
Oh for fuck sake If you want high rev's stop shifting . Low revs shift more. Simple
'Too long. 'Didn't read.

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #155
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
It's no problem to sleep anywhere,
You slut you.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #156
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Au contraire! I absolutely LOVE the rides where I'm losing light, so I go on google maps and look for a green area (state or national forest) and find an obscure trail and sleep under the bike. My favorite adventures always involve sleeping in an unlikely place! I am unable to sleep in a car, I get claustrophobic and wake up immediately.

Current favorite sleep in 1st place was a 30min nap on the side of a cliff 150 ft above ground.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #157
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Oh the RIDEs when one ends up sleeping somewhere are nice. I have some of these memories as well and wouldn't want to miss them.
Still it would be nicer if at that point my own bed would magically appear. (And not a car seat that I had to drive there instead of having a nice ride.)
Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #158
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
Quote:
ALL super-slab is equally boring. Quickest is not the best way any time. Nope, it's obvious you're it wrong.
Perhaps on the East coast. There are Super Slabs in the Rockies and Cascade ranges that are great roads.

You need to get out more son.

(and proof read your posts)
Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #159
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
Quote:
Cause like I said, you're doing it wrong.
Said the guy that takes the truck.

Quote:

Riding on super slab is not riding for adventure. It's merely getting from point a to point b and at the end of the day taking the bus fills you with the same satisfaction.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #160
iamcanjim OP
Face drop

Oddometer: 725
I can see taking the truck. I am nearly 40, and in another 25 years I will probably be considering the same thing.
iamcanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:33 AM   #161
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bags View Post
Oh for fuck sake If you want high rev's stop shifting . Low revs shift more. Simple
Exactly, nobody's forcing you to ride in top gear.

OTOH, if your brain is overloaded just riding the bike, like many female cage drivers seem to be, I guess downshifting to accelerate is one thing to many to think about. You'd probably also be driving the slab in 4th gear in a 6 speed manual car, because downshifting to pass would be like walking and chewing gum at the same time.
ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:37 AM   #162
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDK View Post
Exactly, nobody's forcing you to ride in top gear.

OTOH, if your brain is overloaded just riding the bike, like many female cage drivers seem to be, I guess downshifting to accelerate is one thing to many to think about. You'd probably also be driving the slab in 4th gear in a 6 speed manual car, because downshifting to pass would be like walking and chewing gum at the same time.
Hey guys, the thread got a bit lost so I stopped following every post and not quite sure of the context of the above.

But it raised a good point, I like to gear my bike down primarily to give me more usable gears in the box. It can be a bit high geared in top at times, but all you gotta do is shift down to spin up the engine. IMO for a larger bike, you set final gearing to get all your 5 or 6 gears best placed, not just to give you a certain rev in top. Different for some small bore engine revving its head of going down the freeway.

Am I going with the flow here, or in the opposite direction????

JohnCW screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 02:42 AM
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 AM   #163
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,252
Quote:
Interesting backroads aren't slab, INTERSTATE is slab. 4 lane limited access roads are slab, roads where yo see 10 times as many semis as you do cars is slab. BTW, do you gear your bike down to "enjoy" those back roads?
That's not what I said. The Slab (Interstate) can be an efficient way to get interesting places. Don't need to gear down the bike, the engine power band is flexible enough to enjoy a variety of situations...

--Bill
Old 01-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #164
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
he didn't say they were

example, point A, Inman, South Carolina

point B, Glory Hole Falls, Arkansas, where the non slab roads you want to explore are

you have a 4 day weekend
Exactly.

For example: going to the Smokies. Leave home, back roads to Cullman, back roads through Boaz, Arab, Guntersville and Stevenson, pick up the Interstate at Fort Payne, slab it through Chattanooga, etc, and get off onto scenic secondary roads when I get further north.

--Bill
Old 01-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #165
blackx70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Halfway to red line on a Ninja 250 would be 7,000 RPM. Red line is 14,000. Middle of the tach would be 8,000 RPM as the tach goes to 16,000. Yes, it's a very over-square engine with a 62mm bore and 41mm stroke. Try riding one at 3000 RPM and you'll get nowhere fast.

If you ride a low RPM bike it feels strange to ride a high RPM bike but eventually you get used to it and it feels normal. I love the sound of my old GL500 V twin at 9,000+ RPM which is where the max HP is.
70 mph on my old Ninja 250 was 9000 rpm. It would do that all day long.