Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #181
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
THAN, Muffinbutt. You're gonna wake Klay up.
Motolab, is that you?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #182
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Motolab, is that you?
No shit. Sometimes I have to double check to see if I accidentally logged on to librarians.com.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #183
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
You're correct that "No matter how high or how long you rev it, the heads don't actually come off". You'll most likely drop a valve which will punch a hole in the top of the piston. That, or throw a rod, are the most common cause of engine failures you'll see on a race track.

They don't just run and run. In fact high-revving motorcycle engines have quite a short life before compression and performance start to drop. The high-revving is hard on rings and bores and as wear is gradual it goes unnoticed. The bike will still run, but nowhere like it did when new. The harder you ride it, the shorted the time till performance starts to deteriorate. About 50 thousand kilometers and a bike is ready for a top end rebuild. A petrol car engine 300,000?, a diesel 500,000+?

A race engine may be rebuilt after every outing, that's how much toll a hard life takes on an engine.

F.W.I.W. I thought we were talking about street bikes here?

Please don't tell my little 250 that has almost 25,000 high revving miles on it (and is air cooled) that it's supposed to be burning as much oil as one widely popular 650CC liquid cooled thumper does with 1/2 the mileage.

Almost any street engine that's worth 1/2 it's weight in design, is designed to operate reliably when kept out of redline regardless of sustained RPM's. (regardless of CC's too!)
I say "almost any" above, to exclude some piss poor designs and expensive Euro bikes that have a penchant for dropping valves...because I don't want to start a riot and get banned again. (I no longer name names; I guess getting banned taught me something after all)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #184
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
My little dual sport Lifan 200 (Chinese) is air cooled, runs at high RPM, and is just about to turn over 50,000 miles, not kilometers, miles. The engine has never been opened up and it doesn't burn any oil. Not sure what that proves except that even the Chinese can build a bike that runs 8,000 RPM on the highway and not quickly wear out.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #185
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
My little dual sport Lifan 200 (Chinese) is air cooled, runs at high RPM, and is just about to turn over 50,000 miles, not kilometers, miles. The engine has never been opened up and it doesn't burn any oil. Not sure what that proves except that even the Chinese can build a bike that runs 8,000 RPM on the highway and not quickly wear out.

I don't think it will matter how much empirical information those of us with small CC bikes offer up around here, many still want to believe myth-information because it makes them better able to justify their behemoth cock extensions.

I also worked with a guy who had a Lifan D.S. and it was solid as a rock even @ almost 30,000 miles as well.
Had he believed the opinions around this place, he'd have lost out on being able to buy into his first new D.S. due to a lack of affordability in the mainstream.
Congratulations for not being a sheeple!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #186
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
By your logic jet engines would only run a mile or two before grinding.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #187
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
....He'll just tell you they rebuild them every flight.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #188
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
jet engines don't gave pistons reversing speed
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #189
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
jet engines don't gave pistons reversing speed...or else they'd have to rebuild them every flight
= gottsta have fun where you can. L.O.L.! (I'm being light-hearted and mean no offense)
Old 01-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #190
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,099
Fun fact: Say you feel like flying into a volcanic dust cloud because you're a psychopath. An internal combustion engine will almost immediately stall. A jet engine can operate for an extended period of time in the same environment. So next time you want to go all kamakaze on Mount St. Helens, fly Southwest Airlines.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #191
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Fun fact: Say you feel like flying into a volcanic dust cloud because you're a psychopath. An internal combustion engine will almost immediately stall. A jet engine can operate for an extended period of time in the same environment. So next time you want to go all kamakaze on Mount St. Helens, fly Southwest Airlines.
...but...but...if there's a treadmill in the dustcloud you're SOOOO screwed!

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #192
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
jet engines don't gave pistons reversing speed
And there is no stress on the vanes of either the Hp turbine, or LP turbine in any of the THREE planes of force while spinning at 10,000 to 24,000 rpm.

Really? Just really?
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #193
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
A jet engine can operate for an extended period of time in the same environment.
That's not what they teach us about operating jet engines in volcanic ash. They say get the fuck out of it as fast as you can, while closing the throttles and using all the bleed air you can even though that will trash all of the air systems on the airplane.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #194
i_isntreal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
And there is no stress on the vanes of either the Hp turbine, or LP turbine in any of the THREE planes of force while spinning at 10,000 to 24,000 rpm.

Really? Just really?

Pistons are stressed on THREE planes of force as well. The difference being the piston is protected from the cylinder walls by a very thin film of oil. The higher the piston speed, the more often the piston breaks through the oil film and receives wear. Turbine blades do not have any regular friction contact surfaces, other than the odd grain of dust/sand and bird ingestion. As long as those are avoided, blades are happy (not getting into heat induced stress fractures).
Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #195
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
When I rode a bike almost exclusively commuting, I initially had an FZ6. It was a great bike, but was geared low and loved to rev on the highway. I have no doubt that engine would last forever running 75mph and about 7,000 rpm's, but it wore me out.

I switched to a bandit 1200 with three teeth lower on the rear sprocket (the PO did that) and it would hum along at about 3500 rpm's on the freeway. I don't know if it was the difference in noise, vibrations, or weight (stability), but the Bandit was a whole lot more pleasant on any ride longer than 10 miles.
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote