Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #196
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Only one answer. Vibration, and lots of it damages your nerves more than you'd think. Less=better, period.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #197
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
That's not what they teach us about operating jet engines in volcanic ash. They say get the fuck out of it as fast as you can, while closing the throttles and using all the bleed air you can even though that will trash all of the air systems on the airplane.

I'm not a pilot (technically....), I was just told that from my grandfather who's been in aviation and instruction for 50+ years.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 AM   #198
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
F.W.I.W. I thought we were talking about street bikes here?

Please don't tell my little 250 that has almost 25,000 high revving miles on it (and is air cooled) that it's supposed to be burning as much oil as one widely popular 650CC liquid cooled thumper does with 1/2 the mileage.

Almost any street engine that's worth 1/2 it's weight in design, is designed to operate reliably when kept out of redline regardless of sustained RPM's. (regardless of CC's too!)
I say "almost any" above, to exclude some piss poor designs and expensive Euro bikes that have a penchant for dropping valves...because I don't want to start a riot and get banned again. (I no longer name names; I guess getting banned taught me something after all)
How do you manage to walk upright and straight with such a large air cooled chip on your shoulder?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 AM   #199
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
FWIW, going up from a 14T to 15T on the front of our DR350 (441 BB and carb/exhaust) made it better in the dirt and road...just better/smoother/longer pull, and low speed didn't suffer.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #200
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
How do you manage to walk upright and straight with such a large air cooled chip on your shoulder?

...because it's lightweight air, of course!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #201
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,393
Quote:
It's counter balanced by the emptiness in his head.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 AM   #202
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
It's counter balanced by the emptiness in my jock cup.
= fixed it for you!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #203
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
FWIW, going up from a 14T to 15T on the front of our DR350 (441 BB and carb/exhaust) made it better in the dirt and road...just better/smoother/longer pull, and low speed didn't suffer.
Don't bother, everyone on this forum just ignores you when you make a logical argument. They'd rather just go in circles.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:10 AM   #204
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
I went from 15t to 16t on my SV650, less shifting, longer pull, and quicker acceleration for my average riding speed. cause I was more often still in 3rd gear instead of 4th, It also eliminated searching for that illusive 7th gear on the highway

no different than gearing a racebike for a specific track, a rider should gear his streetbike for his specific riding style if stock doesn't suit your needs
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #205
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I went from 15t to 16t on my SV650, less shifting, longer pull, and quicker acceleration for my average riding speed. cause I was more often still in 3rd gear instead of 4th, It also eliminated searching for that illusive 7th gear on the highway

no different than gearing a racebike for a specific track, a rider should gear his streetbike for his specific riding style if stock doesn't suit your needs
Likewise, and for exactly the same reasons. Both my 250 and 750 run 1 tooth larger front sprockets. This is not really a change from any 'standard' as both manufacturers (Yamaha and Kawasaki) have used exactly this same gearing in other models using the same engine.

The Kawasaki Z650 engine made it's debut in 1975 and was used for over 30 years in a stack of different models all with different final gearing. Manufactures have always swapped around final gearing, both across different models using the same engine, and over time in the same model.
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #206
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
That's not what they teach us about operating jet engines in volcanic ash. They say get the fuck out of it as fast as you can, while closing the throttles and using all the bleed air you can even though that will trash all of the air systems on the airplane.
+1

Volcanic ash is worse than sand, and it was sand damage to turbines that scuttled a helocopter rescue for the hostages during the Iranian coup.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #207
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
+1

Volcanic ash is worse than sand, and it was sand damage to turbines that scuttled a helocopter rescue for the hostages during the Iranian coup.
Not to mention its often conductive, so if it doesn't turn the vanes into debris, it fucks the elctronics completely.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #208
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,256
And it should be pointed out that at least 1 manufacturer (orange bikes) tells you that they have optional gearing available for their bikes and approves their use. They do understand that not everyone wants to ride at a certain cruising speed and rev range. It is a very personal choice for each rider. Factories do not always get it right. You are NOT STUPID for changing gearing to suit yourself. In some cases the mfgr KNOWS you are lugging the bike as it comes from the factory! They did this to pass some Euro, driveby sound test at a certain speed and expect you to change it....even give you written permission to do so.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #209
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,398
My bike was delivered with a second counter shaft sprocket from the manufacturer
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:06 AM   #210
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,052
And remember, it can be about marketing, pure and simple. Brand A needs to be a but faster in the Quarter than Brand B, so Marketing puts a tooth or two less on the front sprocket than what Engineering suggested. More oompf for those who juggle specs when buying.

--Bill