Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #106
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
If you can't get over 2K miles out of tires, you're doing it wrong. It seems stupid to use tires that blow through rubber like that. The fuel costs must have been ridiculous too.

Did you drive backroads all the way up there? Droning away in a truck on slab is boring. Why didn't you drive up in a sporty car on twisty backroads, pulling a trailer, and get better mileage? Droning slab in a truck is no adventure. It seems stupid too, and it's not exactly how I would do it, so you must be doing it wrong.

LOL, riding like a little girl ain't fun and it's a compromise. It may be OK for you, but not my cup of tea. I get 1200 - 1300 miles out of a sport compound tire and usually less then 1K out of a real knobbie.

There are no sporty backroads between AR and TX. Cars are useless, trucks serve a purpose. Gas is a consumable item, I don't care about milage.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #107
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
LOL, riding like a little girl ain't fun and it's a compromise. It may be OK for you, but not my cup of tea. I get 1200 - 1300 miles out of a sport compound tire and usually less then 1K out of a real knobbie.

There are no sporty backroads between AR and TX. Cars are useless, trucks serve a purpose. Gas is a consumable item, I don't care about milage.
Excuses, excuses.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #108
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
For the Speed Triple more power and a higher readline is a decrease in usability? Better suspension? Longer fork travel and adjustable ride height?

Less usable?

as I said, i works for you

your not "most" people

ever heard the term "you'll never use all that power" maybe you do, most people don't
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #109
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
There's nothing adventurous about droning along a superhighway. If you think there is, like I said, you're doing it wrong Snowflake.

I ride for the enjoyment, not the get from point A to point B.
HAH! Try it on a 16hp 250 and get back to me.
Using the vehicles around you as blocks to keep from getting run over from behind and drafting larger vehicles close enough to do 85 is an adventure, all its own.
"Droning" (even if that's the word I used ) isn't quite the word one would use to describe having to be 100% on your game and on edge to stay alive when going from point A to B.

...it's downright exhilarating and sphincter clenching which, can either be completely exhausting or entertaining, depending on how you decide to relate to the environment.
I guess perspective, is what makes every riders ride, their own.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #110
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
you are ignoring the fact that iamcanjim prefaced each statement with the word "most"
and btw, while your mods may work for you, they decrease the usability for most riders and most uses
That's YOUR most.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #111
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
you are ignoring the fact that iamcanjim prefaced each statement with the word "most"
and btw, while your mods may work for you, they decrease the usability for most riders and most uses
Hi Randyo,
Couldn't help but notice you own both a V-strom and an SV650. Question: Have all the V-Strom and SV650 owners who feel the front suspension on both these bikes is not up to standard and modify them with say heavier weight springs and cartridge emulators:

a) "decreased the usability for most riders and most uses" of the now modified bike, or

b) corrected a major and potentially deadly shortcoming in the front suspension caused by the factory using an antiquated front suspension design for cost saving reasons.

Greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

JohnCW screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 08:02 PM
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #112
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,410
Quote:
If your bike is spending any time on super slab,you're doing it wrong. Just sayin...............

Not all Super Slabs are created equal and some are the quickest and safest way to get to the fun roads when you are limited on time.

If you own a motorcycle and take the truck (unless you are picking up something VERY large) you're doing it WRONG.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #113
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanjim View Post
Whenever a new bike is introduced, members here wail and go on about how high the bike will be revving at 80, 90 or 100 mph.
Hardly... the amount of such wailing pales in comparison to the release rate of new motos.

But I took an opposite approach, and put a taller gear on my GS - it revs higher in a given gear, at a given speed, than when stock. The benefit, of course, is it gets going and out of its own way with much less drama and effort. And revving high? My GS sings a happy tune at 6k, and even sweeter at 7k.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #114
iamcanjim OP
Face drop

Oddometer: 681
Owners of diesel trucks often consider their body lifts and bed stacks to be non negotiable and obvious mods.....
iamcanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:04 AM   #115
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Not all Super Slabs are created equal and some are the quickest and safest way to get to the fun roads when you are limited on time.

If you own a motorcycle and take the truck (unless you are picking up something VERY large) you're doing it WRONG.
ALL super-slab is equally boring. Quickest is not the best way any time. Nope, it's obvious you're it wrong.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #116
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Hi Randyo,
Couldn't help but notice you own both a V-strom and an SV650. Question: Have all the V-Strom and SV650 owners who feel the front suspension on both these bikes is not up to standard and modify them with say heavier weight springs and cartridge emulators:

a) "decreased the usability for most riders and most uses" of the now modified bike, or

b) corrected a major and potentially deadly shortcoming in the front suspension caused by the factory using an antiquated front suspension design for cost saving reasons.

Greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

I can't speak for RandyO, but for myself.

I have a SV650 with 30,000 miles on it, all stock except for the pipe and seat. I am probably not a good enough rider to feel the need for upgrades to the suspension.
Maybe I don't know what I am missing, but I live in the foothills and have done 700 mile days in comfort.

Could be that I weigh 165 pounds.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #117
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
HAH! Try it on a 16hp 250 and get back to me.
Using the vehicles around you as blocks to keep from getting run over from behind and drafting larger vehicles close enough to do 85 is an adventure, all its own.
"Droning" (even if that's the word I used ) isn't quite the word one would use to describe having to be 100% on your game and on edge to stay alive when going from point A to B.

...it's downright exhilarating and sphincter clenching which, can either be completely exhausting or entertaining, depending on how you decide to relate to the environment.
I guess perspective, is what makes every riders ride, their own.
I drove to NYC from Barre,Vermont via Northway and New York Thruway on a 9.5 hp scooter. Fun all the way down. Rainy on the way back. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/8236750248/
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #118
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post

I have a SV650 with 30,000 miles on it, all stock except for the pipe and seat. I am probably not a good enough rider to feel the need for upgrades to the suspension.
Maybe I don't know what I am missing, but I live in the foothills and have done 700 mile days in comfort.

135,000+ miles on my SV, stock suspension, for my use, if I wanted a better suspension, I woulda bought a different bike, I note that most SVers "improve"the suspension by hacking a used shock someone threw away cause it was too shitty for their supersport bike, a shitty oem shock is still a shitty shock, to me, improving the suspension meant getting a real shock like a penske/ohlins/WP etc more money than was prudent to spend on a budget bike

with my V-strom, my goals are different, my project is to specialize the bike for winter and long distance riding, I have made some radical changes starting with going to the darkside, studded tires, WP suspension, expanded fuel tank, even have an external alternator in the works,

almost all of my mods make the bike less useful for anything but the specific purposes
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #119
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post

Yeah that helps

I'm about 200 all geared, I bottom the forks constantly at even a moderate pace.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #120
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
ALL super-slab is equally boring. Quickest is not the best way any time. Nope, it's obvious you're it wrong.
No he isn't, run the west end of the PA Turnpike, 85mph traffic, hills sweepers and g outs. Likewise I-8 into San Diego is crazy curvy.

I haven't got to run back across the 8 yet with a bike, that ids my plan for tomorrow morning.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote