Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #31
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Well Yes, That's why we are doing extensive testing prior to release, just like all our other products. at 1000 hrs and 500 cycles on the test bed along with the testing we currently have running around in bikes and autos I will feel comfortable offering them for sale.
The issue wont be an overloaded circuit, If anything I see a fan failure overheating the drivers then potentially causing issues.

Thanks, ya that's what I meant, really. If there could be a "safety" to shut the thing down before the circuit board or drivers/whatever had a melt down and ruined things, not so much how it related to overloading the electrical circuit of the bike's normal fused system.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #32
squadraquota
mostly harmless

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Lower power draw, on high those are pulling 30 watts on low 10 watts

Hi Darryl,

very interesting product, I am convinced the future of lights is in led...

a few questions: if I am right, USA models have a different reflector than Euro bikes, correct?
You said the led will perform roughly as well as a HID bulb; would that comparison still be valid for a euro reflector?

And am I right to conclude that one led is used for both low and hi beam? If so, how is that done? By feeding more power to the led by using both hi and low beam wire?

What about headlights with separate bulbs, like on KTM990? I am asking because I have replaced low beam bulb with HID, but don't want an extra ballast for a hi beam HID. So this lead could be a very attractive replacement....
Also, any comments on how performance will be in a hi beam reflector?

looking forward to the test results, have subscribed....
squadraquota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #33
TBR
Daily ADV Red China

Oddometer: 521
G'Day,

sounds very good, really interested in sets for two of my bikes over here in the middle kingdom.
willing to sent a set over to China, the land of full high beams / headlights / fog lights or no lights at all…..

ps: no worries, no copying, hate them copy artists as much as everyone else and buying quality pays in the long run any ways.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #34
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by squadraquota View Post
Hi Darryl,

very interesting product, I am convinced the future of lights is in led...

a few questions: if I am right, USA models have a different reflector than Euro bikes, correct?

Although I am not 100% sure on OEM bikes, I do know that the EU Hella reflectors that we use are different than the USA reflectors due to the opposite driving pattern.

You said the led will perform roughly as well as a HID bulb; would that comparison still be valid for a euro reflector?

Yes I see no reason it would preform any different.

And am I right to conclude that one led is used for both low and hi beam? If so, how is that done? By feeding more power to the led by using both hi and low beam wire?

Yes the bulb is used for high and low, It has three 10 watt Emitters, During low beam operation two emitters are lit, at high all three are on. I misspoke in my earlier post about 10 watt low and 30 watt high, Its 20 low and 30 high
On bikes using a h7 or bulb that is not a dual element(high and Low) we can run it on high getting the maximum output.

What about headlights with separate bulbs, like on KTM990? I am asking because I have replaced low beam bulb with HID, but don't want an extra ballast for a hi beam HID. So this lead could be a very attractive replacement....
Also, any comments on how performance will be in a hi beam reflector?

On bikes using single element multi bulb headlights, we can run this led on high getting the maximum output. The performance in any reflector will be better than halogen and very close to HID. apples to apples

looking forward to the test results, have subscribed....

Thanks
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #35
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank You. You must have read my other vendors thread.
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #36
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 354
Hell, I ride a V-Strom with HIDs most every day except when I am on my Concours with HIDs or KLR. And I commute to Kent every day, so let me know if you want my participation. :-)
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #37
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
I ride a lot, on just one of my bikes I've done over 80,000 miles within the past 3 years. Would appreciate testing these, from installation to functionality.
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #38
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
You did not mention this, but is this setup road legal? Typically, what I've heard is that HID and LEDs emit their light in a different way from incandescent lights, which is why they require different ballasts. And because of this property, it's supposedly difficult to imitate the light pattern of incandescent using the LED arrays.

Don't get me wrong. You sell lights for a living, and you know this shit better than I do. I've had plenty of moments when a schmuck in the opposite lane has one of these cheap ebay kits. The light is blinding in my side and I can clearly see that there is hardly any lumination on their side of the road. And they invariably sport the wrong version of white.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #39
StephenGFiddes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I ride a Kawasaki Concours every day, and riding is a part of my job. (How many of you get to ride a motorcycle for a living?!)

I'd be very interested in these. I'll be even more interested if you can come up with some LED's that work with Projectors! (I will eventually be doing a projector retrofit which will require HID's at this time, but if an LED option becomes available for projectors, I will throw my money at it. I just don't have the time to do the research myself at this point.)

EDIT: I've been a long-time lurker here... Finally had to make an account today to get in on this. Light is my obsession! (I'm a profession photographer after-all...) Especially LED!

StephenGFiddes screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 07:30 AM
StephenGFiddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #40
StephenGFiddes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
You did not mention this, but is this setup road legal? Typically, what I've heard is that HID and LEDs emit their light in a different way from incandescent lights, which is why they require different ballasts. And because of this property, it's supposedly difficult to imitate the light pattern of incandescent using the LED arrays.

Don't get me wrong. You sell lights for a living, and you know this shit better than I do. I've had plenty of moments when a schmuck in the opposite lane has one of these cheap ebay kits. The light is blinding in my side and I can clearly see that there is hardly any lumination on their side of the road. And they invariably sport the wrong version of white.
The ballast is a power supply of sorts. It converts the 13.8V DC into something the bulb can use. The light output has nothing to do with the ballast.

HID's are intended for use in Projector housings. If you're being blinded by another driver's headlights, it's because they have HID's in a standard reflector housing because they're too dumb, lazy, or just don't care to put projectors in their headlights. There is very little gain by having HID's in a reflector housing over a standard halogen bulb. (Especially in the fog! The scatter makes it terrible!) The real improvement is anytime you introduce a projector. The lens controls the light output and makes it even and keeps it out of other drivers eyes.

Look into projector headlights and how they work. A good source is Theretrofitsource.com (I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer) and the HIDPLANET website.

Also, ebay pre-made projector housings are about as useful as a broken contraceptive device.
StephenGFiddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #41
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
How's the glare compared to a stock bulb and an HID bulb when looking at the headlight (oncoming traffic's view)? That's the main reason I yanked the HID setup out of the v-strom and retrofitted projectors.

I see almost no difference in the beam pattern in the low vs high beam shots aside from brightness, and since the LEDs are fixed, I'm guessing "low" beam is just reducing the light output on the LEDs?

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #42
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

These are bulbs not a reflector change, they work just like an H4 halogen only brighter. I felt they had less glare than an HID kit, more than a halogen. I did not see any light scatter in the reflectors that I have used the bulb in. KTM950, Toyota LC and a ford Super duty.
I was very happy with how well I could see over the HID kit in my 950, I had very good definition, with minimal shadows.

Users will report more on this.
Just like HID kits these are not DOT approved.

We have our testers chosen, Thanks for all the input, those will be notified for shipping address today.
It was a tough choice, It came down to several and a pick out of a hat. Thanks to everyone's willingness to check it out and present their feedback
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #43
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,873
I didn't see this asked. What about water/rain?
I ride in anything but snow in all temperatures and frequently wash my bike.
The back of the headlight housing is blocked by the guage pod but gets plenty wet when washing or in a serious down pour.

Can these rather impressive lights handle water and freezing temps w/o issue?
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #44
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I didn't see this asked. What about water/rain?
I ride in anything but snow in all temperatures and frequently wash my bike.
The back of the headlight housing is blocked by the guage pod but gets plenty wet when washing or in a serious down pour.

Can these rather impressive lights handle water and freezing temps w/o issue?
Great question
That is an issue with another bulb that looks similar.
This light uses an enclosed motor for the fan. I have been hosing the test lights down with a water spray bottle every few hrs during the day. spraying directly into the fan area. So far the massive water torture hasn't been an issue
1-800-624-0278
Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #45
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,873
Spray bottle...?

Down pours in the South East, are buckets of water all at once for hours at a time.

FYI.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote