Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #661
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
I'd be interested to know if anyone has installed these in a 6th gen VFR. I am all for LED and run Denali aux lights along with some quality Philips bulbs. More LED would be fabulous but I'm concerned about quality fitment. There's certainly lots of clearance behind the bulb
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:43 AM   #662
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Ordered a pair of H7's, can't wait to get them..
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #663
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
About your "Heavyweights" team racing effort... All I can say is *WOW*!!!

My hat's off to you guys! Incredible effort, story, and results! *WOW*!!!

Dallara

~

Thank You, We all had a blast. Its not the last you will hear about the Heavyweights.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #664
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodude View Post
Is the rectifier box required? Is the bulb plug/play without it?

The rectifier is for bikes with AC powered headlights.
Ac powered headlights are usually only on dirtbikes, or minimalistic Dual sports
KTM EXC, Xc 2strokes and most 4 strokes other than EFI Bikes, Yamaha wr250/450F's (not wr250r/x)
Honda CRFX, Beta, Husky etc
1-800-624-0278
Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #665
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
So sure I'm gonna' get a pair that I had my dealer buddy order me a spare couple of those spin-on headlamp caps on the back of the Super Tenere's headlamp assembly, just in case I need to carve a hole in 'em. You know me, I like to have spares...

BTW, those caps are cheap if you think you need a spare set.

But I am waiting a bit before I order the LED bulbs for a couple of reasons... One, I want to wait and see if I want to order some of Cyclops' other driving lights to go with them, and two, I'm still wrestling over the idea of trading in the '12 on the '14. Found out today that my dealer won't even be able to order one until his June order slot, and no real idea when a '14 would come in on a June order.

He's got a call into his Yamaha rep to get details, and I should know more later this week. If I do the trade I'm not going to put the LED's in the '12 I've got, but if the '14 is way, way out there I may just wait for the 2015 models... Then I would put the LED's in the 2012.

I'll know in a few days.

Dallara

~
Put the LEDs in. All indications are that the 12 and 14 (and probably 15) use H7. The swap is <10 mins.

ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #666
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,460
Ordered one for my K1200GT. Keeping my fingers crossed!
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #667
KL_ARRR
Adventure Piggy

Oddometer: 441
Just ordered a pair of H7s for the Adventure Piggy!
KL_ARRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #668
abliorix
F800gs

Oddometer: 9
Ordered! Can not wait to be able to see and replace that candle that's in there now.

F800GS

G650 Xcountry (Sold)
GSXR-600 (Sold)
abliorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #669
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by don07tncav View Post
Well, pulled the trigger and ordered a set for my DL1000 Vstrom. Looking forward to getting them when they get back in stock!
Let us know how that install goes. I'm on the fence but don't wanna be the DL guinea pig!
zeeede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #670
Jagermeister
Funky White Boy

Oddometer: 128
DR650 = Awesome Light

I installed this on my DR650 about 3 weeks ago. It's BRIGHT, and very simple to install. Great quality, also.

In terms of usable light output, the Cyclops LED @ Low Beam is roughly equivalent to the OEM Halogen @ High Beam. LED @ High is significantly brighter, and throws light about 100 feet further than low beam. Of course, the light is much whiter than Halogen, and more noticeable in traffic.

My wife is a little jealous, and I'm buying another one for her XT250. When I ride behind her, she complains that the bright setting is too bright in her mirrors, so I've learned to use the Low beam.

DR650 & XT-250

Always take the long route!
Jagermeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #671
don07tncav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I'll post a few photos of em when I get them here and installed. Looking forward to getting them after they get back in stock.
don07tncav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #672
deliberate speed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I have a DRZ400S and saw the post a couple of pages back where somebody used silicone or something since the rubber boot wouldn't fit over the LED and it's fan. They also had to dremel out some of the housing. Doing these things doesn't exactly excite me.

Does anyone have any other ideas for dealing with the depth/fitment of these lights?

I saw someone else mention something about part of the LED assembly possibly being separate, like HID setups. Is this a possibility for those of us with clearance issues in the housing? Could they or might they be manufactured this way?

The reviews of these lights are great and I'd love to brighten up my headlight for commuting if it could be made to fit better.
deliberate speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #673
Off Road Ryder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate speed View Post
I have a DRZ400S and saw the post a couple of pages back where somebody used silicone or something since the rubber boot wouldn't fit over the LED and it's fan. They also had to dremel out some of the housing. Doing these things doesn't exactly excite me.

Does anyone have any other ideas for dealing with the depth/fitment of these lights?

I saw someone else mention something about part of the LED assembly possibly being separate, like HID setups. Is this a possibility for those of us with clearance issues in the housing? Could they or might they be manufactured this way?

The reviews of these lights are great and I'd love to brighten up my headlight for commuting if it could be made to fit better.
There might be a little misconception here .

The bulb does separate. Its sometimes easier to install the base plate and then the bulb. It really depends on what retainer is used on the bike. I don't see any reason a DRZ(S) headlight would need to be modded to allow the bulb to fit.

In The post you are referring too, It would have been very easy to loosen the base plate, slide the retaining clip between the base plate and fan surround, reinstall the set screw, then finish installing the entire assy with no notch cut.

Im not aware of a ANY HID where you can use the factory boot on a shallow housing like the Drz. The addition of silicon is absolutely not necessary, If the bike is ridden in very dusty conditions, a very light coat of silicon might not be a bad idea, Just like what one would do to an HID with no boot.

Other than fitting the clip between the fan shroud and the base plate (on some Bikes), IMO this is a much easier install than any HID.
1-800-624-0278

Off Road Ryder screwed with this post 05-15-2014 at 08:59 PM
Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #674
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post

The bulb does separate. Its sometimes easier to install the base plate and then the bulb. It really depends on what retainer is used on the bike. I don't see any reason a DRZ(S) headlight would need to be modded to allow the bulb to fit.

In The post you are referring too, It would have been very easy to loosen the base plate, slide the retaining clip between the base plate and fan surround, reinstall the set screw, then finish installing the entire assy with no notch cut.

Im not aware of a ANY HID where you can use the factory boot on a shallow housing like the Drz. The addition of silicon is absolutely not necessary, If the bike is ridden in very dusty conditions, a very light coat of silicon might not be a bad idea, Just like what one would do to an HID with no boot.

Other than fitting the clip between the fan shroud and the base plate (on some Bikes), IMO this is a much easier install than any HID.
This is dead on for my experience with a WR250R install.

The base comes off the bulb with 1 Phillips screw. Install the base into the headlight housing and use the stock retainer. Then put the bulb in and replace the screw. Super easy.

I've done many HID installs. Not having to find a place for ballasts and ignitors with the LEDs makes these MUCH easier to install.

ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #675
deliberate speed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
This is dead on for my experience with a WR250R install.

The base comes off the bulb with 1 Phillips screw. Install the base into the headlight housing and use the stock retainer. Then put the bulb in and replace the screw. Super easy.

I've done many HID installs. Not having to find a place for ballasts and ignitors with the LEDs makes these MUCH easier to install.

ac
Thank you for the replies. I was definitely missing something.

I'm not too worried about very dusty conditions, but what about riding around in the rain or having the bike sit out in the rain? Washing it? Could water get in there and cause damage without the boot?
deliberate speed is offline   Reply With Quote