ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #31
Epy
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 109
LostViking, it looks like you live in paradise.
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #32
LostViking OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epy View Post
LostViking, it looks like you live in paradise.

Yes, If you could back out some of the socioeconomic issues. This place is about perfect. I can think of no other place I rather spend the fall than here. The summers are quite tolerable. Although as a bike rider, I could stand a longer riding season. We have had snow on the ground here since before Thanksgiving. And the -24 days can test your resolve.

If you are an outdoor enthusiast the opportunities are endless. Lake Placid/Whiteface is just a ways down the road. There are mountains to climb. An interconnested system of lakes and rivers for canoeing. Great riding is all around.

And to off set the stereotypical version of New York. The town I grew up in still does not have a traffic light. We don't lock our doors, and the keys are in the Jeep and the bike. I cant't even see another house in the summer.

There are farms all around. But much like other states, we have people move in. They buy a house next to a dairy farm. Then three months later, they are at town board meetings complaining about the smell. Or that the get woke up at 05:00 by the spreading of manure. They buy a house on a dirt road (yes we have dirt roads here too) and bitch that their fancy car
Is always covered in dust. Then demand that their road get paved. And then wonder why their taxes go up.

The lack of common sense here is huge. And truthfully, it is the intangibles that are driving me away. It is the constant chip, chip, chip, of my rights and freedoms that worries me the most. Yes it is occuring everywhere. But it is happening at an exponential rate here. For me, I hope to be on the smart side of the Mississippi if things get worse.

The Superbowl is a prime example, the amount of freedom that will be given up and voluntarilly accepted just to go see a football game, scares the heck out of me. Snipers at a football game, really? Blackhawks, F-16s, "Homeland Security"
I understand they are protecting me from "Terrorists". But who is protecting me and the rest of us from them?

I will stop there. I "Really" do not want this tread to turn into a political debate. But I think it is reasonable when you are asking for help. That you take the time to allow those that might help you, to get to know you a little better. For better or worse this is who I am.

Thanks again to all who have responded so far.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #33
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,470
I almost moved to Flagstaff back in 2011. Damn Corporate politics got in the way & my plant manager here in Pa gets pissed off that I want to move out west & plays some off handed BS after my interview out there. They had made me an offer I had been out there looking at housing, schools & everything.

An inmate turned my onto a real estate agent from out there. We had discussed my preferences & weeded thru a lot of properties to focus our time better while I was in town..

The flash flood that devastated the Dorny Park area still looms over residents head. It's not a matter of if will happen again more of the When It happens again. Will the next flood follow the same path? You could drive up & down one street & see the remnants of the high water or mud line & sand bags still in place then one street over they where' effected at all. I'd stay clear. Going just a bit further north I found several communities that are setup as fully off the grid. Haul your own water etc. some really great value there for a simple lifestyle!

I loved the vibe of the town. The friendly ness of the locals. The load back pace to life in general. & don't forget... Flagstaff averages 300days of sunshine a year!
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #34
Riverlivin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I know this is off topic, but I'll be in flagstaff for the next 3 days for class, so if any one is up for a beer or dinner hit me up

Sorry for the thread Jack

Riverlivin screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 02:09 PM Reason: Thread jack apology
Riverlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #35
LostViking OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverlivin View Post
I know this is off topic, but I'll be in flagstaff for the next 3 days for class, so if any one is up for a beer or dinner hit me up

Sorry for the thread Jack

No worries,

Have one for me!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:35 AM   #36
LostViking OP
Studly Adventurer

Just an update for you guys,

At present I appear to be in Corporate Hiring Limbo, that stage where I have not been hired nor have I been declined. Did several interviews and so far so good. But that and a quarter will net you twenty-five cents.

It seem these companies work on their own time frame.

Last year a company took three months to decide to hire me and finally called on a Thursday afternoon and wanted to know if I could be on the job 2000 miles away the following Monday.

Just wanted to update those who made the effort to respond.

LV,