User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #106
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
Jenny! (and Piglet)
Those are some GREAT racer pics. Thanks for sharing them with us!
I am headed over to the official thread to enjoy another update.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #107
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,090
No problem ;o) - and some alternatives...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #108
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Got some pics via email, of our Fandango Pro Tank Bag, with Pannier Pouches attached, out on the trail. These pics were taken by Giant Loop Rider, Charles, while in the Whitmore Wash, in the Grand Canyon.

He wrote:
"We all have GLs or we couldnt make these trips possible. Weve tried other options and find that having the weight placed low on the bike and close to us as possible, helps. It allows us to carry gear and have fun while doing so. We were on the bikes for a total of 4 days, around 345 miles round trip.

My set-up worked flawlessly! And let me tell you, we rode some major rough terrain! Lava rock no smaller then the size of softballs for miles! All three GLs stayed where I put them.

Fandango Pro-
Installed easily. Stayed put thru the trip. Having the two zippers on either side was the best, as i was able to pull it off and store in my tent without pulling straps! I also was able to keep important items in one location and take it with me easily. I used map compartment as we traveled several trails weve never traveled. It hailed on us twice and keep all contents dry. The concealed pocket was a total bonus!!

Pannier Pouches were amazing! I put two 1.89 Liter (1 extra gallon total) containers of fuel to extend the range on my moto! Carried the weight well without any issues, plus blocked some of the unexpected arctic winds/hail that we experienced on the trip out! Im only 510, so I fit really well with them. My friend sat on my bike and hes 66 and he still could have used them.

One of the guys has the newer Coyote Saddle Bag with the Cinch Ring Harness and he really liked it. Seemed to be a nice feature that he used to hold extra camping gear.

All said, all four of us love using your products. We are a no frills bunch who live in So-Cal and do a lot of 3-4 day trips into some very remote/rocky locations. We are hard on gear, and dont like things to fail. Your products continue to impress us and keep us out where we want to be! Away from everyone else."

Thanks for sharing your great story and pics,Charles!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #109
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
2014 Stumpjumpers Motorcycle Club Desert 100

Leaving tomorrow for the SJMC 2014 Desert 100 offroad race, where GL will be on vendor row - and working as pit crew for local OMRA "A" racer Alex Sherman (at last year's finish in this pic).

Looking forward to a weekend of riding dirt bikes and adventure bikes - and enjoying the madness!

Come see us - we'll have the entire 2014 Giant Loop Adventure Proof Packing Systems collection available.
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #110
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Trailer is all loaded up and the GL van is dragging it north, to the Desert 100. The Team Green Kawasaki KX450F of Alex Sherman is tucked in the back of the van, with Alex's racing gear. Best of luck Alex! Wish I was going, I haven't been since the event was held in Mattowa...

Pic from last year's Desert 100 departure, before we got the CVT tent clamped on top.

We loaded up bikes, booth and product, plus camping gear, they were rolling a few minutes past 9am. The ice chest and snack bag are empty, however...

Since we want to support the community of Odessa, Dustin and Harold will be hitting the Odessa grocery store for their much needed snacks and beer run, once they pull into town.

Have a blast at the race!

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 11:52 AM
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #111
Herbivore63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Question Buckin' Roll Questions

I like the concept of the Buckin' Roll but it seems as though anything in the side panniers would be obliterated when I drop my bike. I'm basing this on the fact that the scratches in my side panels (BMW X Challenge) seem to be just about where the pannier pockets would be. Does anyone with a Buckin Roll have experience with this?

Also, what are the dimensions of the 2014 center pouch. I need to figure out if it could hold my camera and cell phone.
Herbivore63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #112
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

I can understand the concern about crushing items carried in an impact zone.
I had a bad off once and my mess kit, carried in the lower leg of my Coyote Saddlebag, got oval-ed out.
Planning your packing to keep vulnerable items out of the impact zone is one solution, another is to put items in a hard case and load that into the Pannier Pockets.
I have a small case like this Pelican case, that I put my breakables into and it slips right into the Pannier Pockets.

The Buckin' Roll Tank Bag has the same center case as our MoJavi Saddlebag. The dimensions, as oriented with the bag on a bike:
8" wide
5" long
3" tall

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 10:31 AM
Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #113
mandatedmotorvation
Shunpiker

Oddometer: 111
Fandango & pro

does the map window expose all the contents inside the bag if you don't have a map installed?

thanks, all!

Cheers
mandatedmotorvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #114
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,187
nice setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Trailer is all loaded up and the GL van is dragging it north, to the Desert 100. The Team Green Kawasaki KX450F of Alex Sherman is tucked in the back of the van, with Alex's racing gear. Best of luck Alex! Wish I was going, I haven't been since the event was held in Mattowa...

Pic from last year's Desert 100 departure, before we got the CVT tent clamped on top.

We loaded up bikes, booth and product, plus camping gear, they were rolling a few minutes past 9am. The ice chest and snack bag are empty, however...

Since we want to support the community of Odessa, Dustin and Harold will be hitting the Odessa grocery store for their much needed snacks and beer run, once they pull into town.

Have a blast at the race!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #115
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandatedmotorvation View Post
does the map window expose all the contents inside the bag if you don't have a map installed?

thanks, all!

Cheers
The standard Fandango and Diablo Tank Bags have a mesh backed map pocket. It is possible to see the bags contents, when no map is in the pocket, but the view is obscured with mesh.

The Fandango Tank Bag Pro and Diablo Tank Bag Pro have a layer VCP, with electronics port, between the map pocket and under lid mesh pocket, no way to see interior of the bag with the lid closed.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #116
mandatedmotorvation
Shunpiker

Oddometer: 111
excellent. thank you, good sir.
mandatedmotorvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #117
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Thanks BMW Owners News for including Giant Loop's Siskiyou Panniers in the April issue's soft luggage roundup!

Here is a good point made in the review:
"The Siskiyou Panniers are narrow and ride high enough to not catch on rocks, trees or bushes, when the trail gets tight. Since they are so narrow, it is easy to forget they are back there."

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 01:20 PM
Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #118
Gillingham
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm shopping around for either a hard case setup or a set of soft panniers, The siskiyou panniers are tempting but I'm having a hard time understanding the cost. For the same price I could easily get something that included even a high end metal rack like happy trails SU rack plus soft bags and still have $100-300 to spare.

What sets these apart from such a setup?
Gillingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #119
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillingham View Post
I'm shopping around for either a hard case setup or a set of soft panniers, The siskiyou panniers are tempting but I'm having a hard time understanding the cost. For the same price I could easily get something that included even a high end metal rack like happy trails SU rack plus soft bags and still have $100-300 to spare.

What sets these apart from such a setup?
I just went through this. I bought a rack and the Wolfman Rocky Mountains. The Giant Loops are very nice but I the money changed my mind.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #120
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
2014 Stumpjumpers Motorcycle Club Desert 100

Started a thread in the Racing section with pics and video of this year's Desert 100. If you were there, post up!
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote