Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #121
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I see this is your first post ever on ADV Rider. Thank you - we're honored!

Here are some key differences:
* Lifetime Warranty
* dozens of pounds lighter
* improved bike handling and performance
* fewer points of failure
* less likely to damage subframes, riders legs, etc.
* better packing and organizational features
* 100% waterproof - even after multiple crashes

Most hard luggage boxes/racks cost significantly more. Which bike are you kitting out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillingham View Post
I'm shopping around for either a hard case setup or a set of soft panniers, The siskiyou panniers are tempting but I'm having a hard time understanding the cost. For the same price I could easily get something that included even a high end metal rack like happy trails SU rack plus soft bags and still have $100-300 to spare.

What sets these apart from such a setup?
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #122
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
The Giant Loops are very nice but I the money changed my mind.
You ride a 2014 BMW GSW?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #123
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Paul Pitchfork "A Ride Through The Cordillera Blanca"

Beautiful pics and video from Paul Pitchfork and his lovely riding companion in South America!

"Deserts, mountains, jungles, coastlines…. over the years, I have visited and travelled through or along them all, but it is always the mountains that call me back. The Indian and Nepalese Himalayas, the Karakoram in Pakistan, the Alps, the mountains of Norway and of course the Andes…. for me, the mountains of the Cordillera Blanca are probably the most beautiful of them – and what’s more, they are very accessible on a moto."

MORE HERE!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #124
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
Dirt Bike Magazine is usually on the top of our magazine pile, in the Giant Loop Library. We blogged about the Pronghorn Straps getting reviewed in their January issue. Now, in May’s issue, our all new Buckin’ Roll is getting the write up, found in their Adventure, The Goods section.

The Buckin’ Roll tank bag packing system from Giant Loop consists of three components, which can be used individually or in any combination: mounting harness, center tool case and Pannier Pockets. The system features water-resistant YKK zippers, Nylike webbing, reflective accents for visibility and are made in the USA.

Thanks DirtBike!
I still gander at Dirt Bike’s Feb coverage, reviewing the KTM 350EXC and Beta 450RS, having gotten a taste for Betas while in Italy last November, for Eicma. The Adventure section in that Feb issue also had an article called “DR Done Right”, about or friends at Seat Concepts rebuild of their crusty old Suzuki DR650 into a proper big-bore 790cc dual sport bike with Baja Designs Squadron. Pretty cool project and reminds me that we has one of those “vintage air-cooled” motos in the GL stable, a late 90′s Honda XR600R. Better not get too many ideas from that article…
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #125
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
You ride a 2014 BMW GSW?
..I was thinking the same thing.

Say, I've got a couple questions.
I have the Diablo tank bag (its either the 2012 or 2013) and although I have only used it very little, I'm getting ready for more action with my 650X. Wondering if you's have any suggestions for slightly different installation: instead of routing the main straps around my diagonal frame rails (they tend to creep up since the pull direction/wrap is on an angle - I was thinking about a system wear I could secure a strap/webbing/loop around the frame member and tighten. (theres a nice little depression where two frame members join). On that lower loop/strap I would have a pigtail with a quick disconnect attached. I would then add a mating quick connect to the GL strap coming from the tank bag harness. This way I could quickly release the tank bag harness to remove seat - get to air box...etc without having to remove routed strap. Any thoughts on this? I'm just a bit stumped on how (on one strap) I can loop around the frame rail and tighten - while incorporating a loose pigtail (maybe an inch or so long) with the QD attached.

I've considered other "wrap" points but options are few on the 650X..

Also - I like the idea of adding the Pannier Pockets. Since the 650X is notoriously short of fuel capacity - would you think these pockets would make for a good place to store a couple 1 or 2L gas or water canisters? Just wondering how secure the mount would be. Also - if I order the pannier pockets - is it an easy add to my Diablo harness or do I need additional items?

I also have a have the Zigzag handle bar bag - even though I didn't a good home for it on either of my motos - it makes a fine addition to my mtn bike - great place to carry a camera!

Thanks for help - and great products!
Mike
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

mtncrawler screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 08:30 PM
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #126
tinitini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Mojavi on KTM 690 Enduro

Hello

I just received my mojavi saddlebag this week. Nice finish, I am waiting eagerly to my first trip with it, next week. However, just wondering if someone managed to fit it while keeping easy access to the fuel filler ? I almost made it, but it was not 100% convincing.

Also wondering is someone tried the buckinroll tank bag on a 690 enduro. If so, how was the fitting ?
tinitini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #127
Gillingham
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Most hard luggage boxes/racks cost significantly more. Which bike are you kitting out?
A 2008 versys. A full hard case setup is probably around the same price/more expensive, but a SU side rack and set of pretty any soft panniers to mount there would be cheaper by a few hundred depending on bags as mentioned by the other person who went that route. The rack option is appealing compared to this price point just because it's flexible. ~$250 for the rack and you can mount most any individual bag you want, vs a $700 investment for a specific set of bags.

Do you guys have rack mountable seperate panniers planned at all? Something like the siskiyou but not interconnected, I assume that would save some money on straps/material/construction and maybe be more in the range I'm looking at.

What mounting options are there for the FORT ROCK TOP CASE, I have a sw motech top case rack, would I be able to mount the soft top case to that and the bike?
And do you guys ever have sales on the siskiyous?

Thanks
Gillingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #128
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
I have the Diablo tank bag (its either the 2012 or 2013) and although I have only used it very little, I'm getting ready for more action with my 650X. Wondering if you's have any suggestions for slightly different installation:

Although it's not the X-Challenge, this might be a good option for your bike, too - popping the seat off, running the straps around the frame's seat rails, putting seat back on and tightening straps. Details here.

Looks like this is what our Norwegian customer has done on his X-Challenge:

Quote:
Also - I like the idea of adding the Pannier Pockets. Since the 650X is notoriously short of fuel capacity - would you think these pockets would make for a good place to store a couple 1 or 2L gas or water canisters? Just wondering how secure the mount would be. Also - if I order the pannier pockets - is it an easy add to my Diablo harness or do I need additional items?
Yes, you should be able to pop off your seat wrap the Pannier Pockets around your tank, using the seat bolt post as a "stop" to secure the Pockets when you draw tension on them.

A 1- or 2-liter fuel bottle should fit fine. You might want to reinforce the Pockets with a couple of Pronghorn Straps running through the vent holes on your tank. Here's a customer's pic and email:

"Pannier Pouches were amazing! I put two 1.89 Liter (1 extra gallon total) containers of fuel to extend the range on my moto! Carried the weight well without any issues, plus blocked some of the unexpected arctic winds/hail that we experienced on the trip out! I’m only 5’10, so I fit really well with them. My friend sat on my bike and he’s 6’6 and he still could have used them."

Quote:
I also have a have the Zigzag handle bar bag - even though I didn't a good home for it on either of my motos - it makes a fine addition to my mtn bike - great place to carry a camera!
Excellent! We often joke that the Zigzag Handlebar Bag fits anything with handlebars. Do you have a steering dampener or GPS mount on your moto that gets in the way? Have you tried mounting it hanging in front of the bars - facing away from the rider? That's a good alternative on some bikes.

Thanks for the great questions - and thanks for riding Giant Loop!

OlafofOregon screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 09:36 AM Reason: fixed broken link
Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #129
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitini View Post
Hello

I just received my mojavi saddlebag this week. Nice finish, I am waiting eagerly to my first trip with it, next week. However, just wondering if someone managed to fit it while keeping easy access to the fuel filler ? I almost made it, but it was not 100% convincing.

Also wondering is someone tried the buckinroll tank bag on a 690 enduro. If so, how was the fitting ?

Here are some good ideas for installing the MoJavi Saddlebag (and Coyote, which mounts the same way) on the KTM 690 Enduro.

The new version of the Buckin' Roll Tank Bag should fit perfectly on your 690.

I'll look for an example . . . Thanks for the questions! And thanks for riding Giant Loop.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #130
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you guys have rack mountable seperate panniers planned at all?
Several customers are running Giant Loop's Siskiyou Panniers on bikes with racks - with and without using the "cross over" frame. Here's a good example where the customer has simply rolled the flap out of the way and used shock cord through the wheel-side daisy chains to mount the Panniers to racks:

More details here.

This customer "modified" his Siskiyou Panniers by cutting out most of the cross over flaps:

More details here.

And, of course, the Siskiyou Panniers work just fine with racks, too:

Quote:
What mounting options are there for the FORT ROCK TOP CASE, I have a sw motech top case rack, would I be able to mount the soft top case to that and the bike?
The Fort Rock Top Case is designed to mount where your top case mounts - behind the seat - so it's probably not a good option to try to use both. As an alternative, consider the 100% waterproof Tillamook Dry Bag and/or Rogue Dry Bag secured with some Pronghorn Straps.

Quote:
And do you guys ever have sales on the siskiyous?

Thanks
Sorry, but to avoid competing against our own excellent dealers, we do not discount current in-line products.

Thank you for the questions - and for riding Giant Loop!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #131
mr. thumbs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
I just went through this. I bought a rack and the Wolfman Rocky Mountains. The Giant Loops are very nice but I the money changed my mind.
Spend $20k on a bike but an extra $100 scares you....lol

And why mention that you bought a competitors product in GL's thread? Kinda of an asshat thing to do if you as me.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #132
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
I have some wolfman panniers and think I would like to put the fort-rock bag on top of that on my 950, for the times when my wife wants to join. Do you forsee any problems?
effensteve, I can send you pics of the Fort Rock on my KTM with soft and or hard panniers and I can also send you pics of my RT with the bag and hard panniers.

Let me know how I can help.
gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #133
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Although it's not the X-Challenge, this might be a good option for your bike, too - popping the seat off, running the straps around the frame's seat rails, putting seat back on and tightening straps.
Thanks for the links! Good ideas, but unfortunately the harness itself covers the little part that the seat slides onto to be secured

Honestly, I might be a little too finicky here - its'snot a huge deal to re-route the straps to remove the harness/seat - I've just noticed more lately with several maintenance/mod issues going on in between rides. I still think I can figure out a quick disconnect...if I do, I'll send pics along!

Quote:
Yes, you should be able to pop off your seat wrap the Pannier Pockets around your tank, using the seat bolt post as a "stop" to secure the Pockets when you draw tension on them.
A 1- or 2-liter fuel bottle should fit fine.
Great! Thanks for the pics, commentary and links! I think I'll get those pannier pockets on order - like the straps too - I use a set of those to tie my skis together..

Quote:
Excellent! We often joke that the Zigzag Handlebar Bag fits anything with handlebars. Do you have a steering dampener or GPS mount on your moto that gets in the way? Have you tried mounting it hanging in front of the bars - facing away from the rider? That's a good alternative on some bikes.

Thanks for the great questions - and thanks for riding Giant Loop!
Great point - I thought I had tried it both ways, so I'll double check. I don't have a GPS/steering damper on, but I may be adding a GPS bracket that would nix that idea. No problem though...looks good on the mtn bike too!

Thanks Olas!
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #134
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

The Desert 100 is always physically hard on the racers and their carefully prepared race bikes. Therefore, I was, and wasn't, shocked to hear news of GL racer Alex Sherman's crash, while battling for a top ten position in last weekend's event, and that it was a race ender! A rescue helicopter is positioned on the ground and ready for the eventual emergency evacuation of an injured racer. The chopper crew is usually busy during the event, providing life saving transport to the local ER for the urgent medical needs of downed racers. Fortunately for Alex, he didn't need any medical assistance, since he avoided injury.

His "lightly raced" 2014 Kawasaki KX450F wasn't so lucky...

There are no rescue helicopters for injured bikes, however, and that leads to some additional suffering for the damaged machines, as they are ridden back to the pits or hauled onto the sweeper truck.

Alex's KX450F, was one such motorcycle that was damaged to the point of no longer being race-able, during a tussle with a boulder filled dust puddle. When Alex crashed, the bike hit a hidden rock so hard, that it dented and punctured his upper fork tube, plus twisted his lower triple clamp against steering stop on the frame. As Alex rode out to the pits, the inner fork slider was hammered against the dent in the outer fork tube, hard enough to bend and damage the inner cartridge.

Here are some pics of the bike, with it's smashed fork leg and lower triple clamp on the operating table, showing the extent of carnage the bike endured, both during and after the crash.

Check out this awesome race footage,from his chest mounted camera, that Alex edited together. The crash is at 15:05 in the video, doesn't look like much...:
Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #135
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

GIANT LOOP EVENT: ADVENTURE GIRL, TRACY JEFFRIES, TO LEAD LADIES GROUP ON GIANT LOOP’S SUMMER LAKE HOT SPRINGS RIDE

I met Tracy at a RawHyde event in 2012 and learned that there is an appetite for DIRT in all of us. Some, like Tracy, just express it better than the rest. Tracy has devoted her motorcycling skill development and riding experiences to honing her ability to roost dirt and ride big adventure bikes with the best of them. She has been a fixture at North West adventure riding rallies, supporting Touratech and Ride West BMW during events, leading GS rides, plus raising money for Riders For Health, a motorcycle based health care charity.

I am stoked to share the news that Tracy has put Giant Loop’s Summer Lake Hot Springs Overnighter on her schedule and has offered to lead the Ladies Group. Thanks Tracy for bringing your skill and experience to our little hot springs ride.

So far, there are six ladies signed up for the event, so if there are more ladies on the fence about whether to join us, now you have another reason to get registered!

Tracy’s BMW G650X, paused for a moment to confirm that the rear tire is flat…

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 07:48 AM