Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 08:45 PM   #31
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Cathedral Valley is definitely a 10. My wife and I have ridden it several times. The beauty never gets old. Fantastic pictures.
What camera were you using? I didn't see it posted.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #32
Rut Runner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Great pics in your RRs Bomose!

I used a Nikon P7700. I wanted something better than the SD1200 Elph I've used in the past. Factory refurbed ones with warranty came up for $280, which made it the cheapest of the premium compacts. It has threads to accept filters, but I've never got around to trying them.

In the car I kept my wife's D7000 Dslr. Comparing pics from the two, I can't really tell the difference. I guess as others have said in the forums here, modern point and shoots are pretty good, is true.
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #33
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Holy shit DUMBER is not correct..........ha ha MORON is closer to it!!!!!

Better you than me...........

would need to be on a Beamer 1200GS to hit "moron" status

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #34
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix101 View Post
would need to be on a Beamer 1200GS to hit "moron" status

No that XR650R with the 7 gallon+ gas tank is over 400 pounds, so it is just about 100 pounds short of the GS. So it is moron for either one to get out of that friggin mud.

You and your buddy would bust their balls rescuing the bike for sure!!!!

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #35
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
...So it is moron for either one to get out of that friggin mud..:

naw, a moron wouldnt even try. he would just sit around in his underwear posting on the internet.

OP, sorry for the hijack there. i will remove the pics to avoid further confusing the simples.

-jb

Posted with TapaTalk on i5

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #36
Rut Runner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

RR cont'd

The plan for the next few days was to head west and do some exploring in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. This is one of the largest in Utah at 1.9 million acres. The PDF map put out by the park is 40 MB and contains over one thousand miles of routes. ATV’s are allowed on some of these.

I checked in at the visitor center in Escalante. The park staff were very blunt: “All the backcountry routes are closed, check back in one week” Not the thing you wanted to hear! I decided to check out Hole in the Rock road. Turning off Hwy 12 I saw the sign “Road Closed” I ignored it and continued on. There was no other traffic and soon I saw signs of road work. The washouts at the major wash crossings were quite a sight. Large diameter culverts had been washed downstream hundreds of feet. A bulldozer had cleared a path down the embankment, across the wash and up the other embankment. With 4 wheel drive it was not a problem. There were many crossings like this.

I made it to the turn-off for Left Hand Collet Canyon and unloaded. The plan was to ride to Lake Powell via left Hand Collet canyon, the Croton road and recreation road 262. After starting out I began to doubt my choice of Left Hand Collet. They were many washouts and flooded sections-I almost turned back. The floodwaters had scoured away the doubletrack, leaving just square edged ledges and drop-offs. The final ascent out of the canyon took the most time. The route up was almost completely obliterated, with just a jumble of boulders and huge crevices. These are some of the pics from the canyon:

The junction with the Croton road is at a high point and you can see for tens of miles to the south. The road had little or no storm damage so I made good time. It’s a fast road with a few steep grades. It’s a bit eerie following this road for hours through a stunted juniper forest. Except for the road there are no signs of human presence.

The Croton road is visible down below as it drops towards Lake Powell:

The road descends in steps towards Lake Powell before reaching a cow camp. This is the start of the Recreation Road 262. My effort was perhaps the briefest attempt ever on this road: I opened the cattle gate, walked 30 ft to where the road started its descent, took one look, turned and walked back! The doubletrack was deeply eroded and steep. It was 4 in the afternoon, and I didn’t want to tackle it that late in the day.

I checked out the cow camp. There were two small trailers, a corral and a storage container. One trailer was stocked with food and water. The isolation of this place gave me a real creepy vibe. At this point I decided to continue on to Page and motel it there for the night. These are some pics along the way:

Conditions were good except for the last wash crossing at Big Water. When I got there water was still flowing in the wash. The road had been washed out and 7 ft high embankments remained. I had a momentary flash of panic, thinking I would have to backtrack all the way to my car! I spotted a few ATV tracks which led down the wash and up the other side. It looked steep but doable. When I scooted out of the wash I underestimated the looseness of the soil. The front end of the XR came up too high and I separated from the bike. The bike made it over the embankment but it continued on by itself, perfectly balanced, almost vertical! It rocked back abit and the license plate dragged the ground. It bobbled like this for 10 ft before falling sideways. Luckily the fender was undamaged-I’ve snapped fenders before doing steep hill climbs!

I filled up at the gas station in Big Water and phoned my wife back home. I asked her to find a cheap motel for me in Page. After a lengthy delay she informs me the only vacancies are suites at the Best Western, at $340 a night! I decided to do a drive-through of Page to see if I could find anything. Indeed, No Vacancy signs were everywhere. I stopped at the McDonalds to use their Wifi. After many phone calls it became clear that Page was booked solid. Motel owners were saying people were diverting to Kanab or Flagstaff. The parking lot of the McDonalds was filled with people getting ready to sleep in their cars.

My choice was to pay $340 or camp out somewhere. I started to look for a comfortable piece of ground. It was still 82F at 11:00pm so I wouldn’t freeze. Across the street was a Walmart with empty desert behind it. I scooted over, popped my wheel over the curb and rode several hundred feet in.

To be continued…
Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #37
bogboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Awesome. Ill be doing same areas this September. Great pictures, thanks for sharing
bogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #38
Rut Runner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

RR cont'd

This was my first night ever sleeping under the stars. I kept all my gear on, and added a sweater. Keeping the helmet on worked well. I only needed a small bit of padding under the helmet to be comfortable, and I used my camelback for that. In some ways I slept better than in a tent. On solo trips before in the wilderness, I would find myself focusing on the slightest noise, thinking it could be a bear or something. Out here you just have to open your eyes! Another plus was opening your eyes and seeing a broad starscape. I woke up a few times. If I did it again I would try and use a sleeping pad.

The route back to my car would be the Smoky Mountain Road. On the way back to Big Water I turned in at Lone Rock Road. There used to be a public beach down this road. The beach is still there, but now they charge $15 per vehicle user fee! I skipped that and continued on:

Mandatory pose:

The road up to the top of Kelly Grade was very scenic and in good shape. After that it became much rougher. Going from Big Water to the top of the Kelly grade would be a good side trip for any bike.

Going down Left Hand Collet canyon was easier than going up:

I made it back to my truck in time to drive to Swing Arm City and do abit of hill climbing. All I can say was it was a big relief to get my boots off after wearing them for 30 hrs!

To be cont’d…
Old 02-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #39
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,916
Beautiful pics.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #40
ADVGirlCharlotte
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 86
Wow!

I really enjoyed your pictures. Looks like an amazing time :))

http://www.globalwomenwhoride.com/?p=4311
ADVGirlCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #41
bbenn75820
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Holy shit DUMBER is not correct..........ha ha MORON is closer to it!!!!!

Better you than me...........

I think calling this person a Moron is not right. Such a comment says you are a noob desk rider not a motorcycle rider. If you have never been in a similar situation then you should push away from your computer and try riding a motorcycle off your neighborhood paved street. I applaud this guy- well done !!
bbenn75820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #42
Rut Runner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

RR cont'd

I started out in the morning on trail 646 in the San Rafael Swell. Conditions were good with no real storm damage. I came to a steep descent down into a wash. As I rode down I thought “I sure hope I don’t have to ride up this!” Before descending I had spotted what looked like the exit route so I thought I was okay…

When I reached the wash bottom it was a jumble of loose boulders. With no vehicle tracks I couldn’t tell which way to go. Either way would involve finding a route through a maze of rocks. Looking at the map didn’t help either. I started walking downstream first, as it looked barely passable. I continued on for 5 minutes without finding the exit. Returning, I went 5 minutes up the wash from where my bike was parked. Nothing there either. Discouraged I took a sip of water-but then sucked air. I hadn’t topped up my water as I thought I was just doing an easy morning loop!

Things were heating up now as I studied the options. It looked like I would have to retrace my path down into the wash. The exit out of the wash would be abit tricky with one big ledge. The run up to the ledge was on an incline and covered with loose stones. I brushed off as much as I could then studied the step. It gave me such a bad vibe that I found a small boulder nearby, and hammered the square edge of the step. It actually worked and I managed to round off the edge. The steepness of the hill doesn’t show in the pic:

I found some flat rocks and laid them out on the wash floor, then positioned my bike for the launch:

The big flat rock was already there, I added a few behind it.

The launch went okay and I got the bike over the step before dropping it:

The remainder of the hill was still abit too steep and loose to try riding. I pulled the bike sideways to the hill, and alternatively pulled the rear end up, then the front end until I made it past the smaller next step. I’m sure all the technical riders here are snickering, but riding solo conditions me to be very cautious. According to my GPS tracklog, I lost 2 ¼ hours here!

This trail is unlucky for other riders too! On the way back I found this phone embedded in the trail:

For the afternoon I headed south of I70. There were a lot of ATV’s and side by sides out.

For the pics above trails are visible in the canyons below.

g

I ended up at a large abandoned mine, I believe it is the Lucky Strike Mine. The sun was starting to set so I couldn’t take time to explore.

To be cont’d

Old 02-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #43
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,821
That wash climb would have had me on the edge of "extreme caution" too.

Well done and I take it your solo riding has taught you a few good lessons that are paying off.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #44
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
I'm sorry but the steepness of "that" hill is obvious.
In my younger day I could have never climbed that hill--but would have tried.
Well,....might have made it in 1974 on my Bultaco.

BigDog

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #45
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Nice pictures and report!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote