User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,458
LED projector head light Project.....

I am looking at making a setup to replace the stock head lights on the 8GS. I have idle'ed it as to give LED's a chance to catch up. They are awfully close, but as I have no experience with LED's as a head light, I have worked with them in many projects. The goal is a twin light setup. I was originally going for a stock 90mm hella Bi-Xenon ( twin low/hi HID's) but that cost is simply to high, unless I piecemill the two housings together, and I would like to retain the DOT approval. I am fully aware of the canbus...etc..... But forth to my question. Have anyone used these.....

http://www.headlightrevolution.com/J...L_p/jw-90l.htm

It looks impressive on paper, but until you ring it, you don't know. Any other suggestions..... I am all ears.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,195
Since you are willing to wait, wait for the factory LED unit.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Since you are willing to wait, wait for the factory LED unit.

Fred
I am at the point, that I really dont want to wait anymore... Plus it has been a while since any carbonation.
You mean the one from the Liquid 12gs....?????

Erling
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I am at the point, that I really dont want to wait anymore... Plus it has been a while since any carbonation.
You mean the one from the Liquid 12gs....?????
Yeah, you could probably use that one. Available for a bargain price of just a tad over 1300 bucks.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Yeah, you could probably use that one. Available for a bargain price of just a tad over 1300 bucks.
Right..... I really want LED's, but I know enough about them to be dangerous, and I personally don't think they are on par with a good HID yes. My choice is a twin setup from Hella 90mm bi-xenon HID, but they are insanely expensive. So I am also looking at their projector housing ( 90mm) and although it is made for halogen, it is the same housing they use for their HID, and with emitters. I can get a pair for about 350-400. IMHO, they are the ones to beat, as I have not read really great reviews of the Speaker LED's.

Erling
Old 01-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

So after sniffing over in the OC section, I am thinking that the Hella projectors are the ticket.....

They will accommodate HID, and as I have been on the phone with the US distributor @ Rallylights.com, I am thinking that is the way to go. One for low beam, and another HID for the high beam, set in a nice Carbon fiber environment..... Awesome, yes, simple.... not so much. They will use the H7 HID system I have used in the stock 8GS housing for several years now. Time to order.

Erling
Old 01-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 678
Nice.

In the mean time I've spent the past 4 hours staring and mulling over how to get one of the LED H4 fan cooled setups into our housing.

Short answer, it "Might" work with some really creative mods, the light output of the CREE chips is awesome, but BMW just don't give a guy any room to mess about with the stock housing.

I'm kind of pissed, i'm usually really good at cobbing stuff together that shouldn't work.

While looking over the mounts, I came up with the same solution you're going with. It's sort of like the Ducati ST4s setup I had from Ducatidesigns years ago. The only problem is, I don't have the time to mock something up.

http://www.ducatidesigns.com/headlight_upgrades?b=1
jengel451 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #8
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Nice.

In the mean time I've spent the past 4 hours staring and mulling over how to get one of the LED H4 fan cooled setups into our housing.

Short answer, it "Might" work with some really creative mods, the light output of the CREE chips is awesome, but BMW just don't give a guy any room to mess about with the stock housing.

I'm kind of pissed, i'm usually really good at cobbing stuff together that shouldn't work.

While looking over the mounts, I came up with the same solution you're going with. It's sort of like the Ducati ST4s setup I had from Ducatidesigns years ago. The only problem is, I don't have the time to mock something up.

http://www.ducatidesigns.com/headlight_upgrades?b=1
I'm with you. There are just not much room behind the stock reflector, and what ever sticks out, will be mashed by the forks at full turn. I think the stock housing is decent with HID in both, but there is room for improvement for sure. My biggest issue with the stock setup is actually not the light pattern, but the flimsy way it is designed. It seems like most on this bike is designed to "just enough" specs..... Example. As soon as I build the fairing, that motion set off vibration each time the front wheel hits a pot hole. I have grown to ignore it, for the most part, but no more. This needs to be fixed, and Whilst in there, might as well make it right. I really wanted to put in a pair of Bi-Xenon ( hi/low) 90mm, but their price was prohibitive. Then I read a writeup over in the OC ( was also astonished how oppinionated those fellow riders are, and how well behaved we are in the PU ) and that steered me towards the Halogen projectors, after talking to the importer of the Hella lights. I am not quite sold on the LED's yet. I think they are coming fast, but are still a couple of years away, with heat being an issue. Perhaps that would change, if I saw a pair first hand. It would be nice if the high beam came on instantly. But that is in part why I have the rigid D2's. We shall see how it goes. Let me know, if you make any headway.

Erling
Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
from my very limited exposure to electronics and thermal design isn't the whole solution just dropping the current light housing, rebuild it in aluminum?
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 678
The entire front mounting system, I agree, structural integrity has been sacrificed in the pursuit of aesthetics and weight savings.

If I wasn't putting the house on the market in the next few weeks and starting a home build project, i'd start diving in.

Right now, it's a bit low on the priority list...until I build my new shop ;)
jengel451 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtw View Post
from my very limited exposure to electronics and thermal design isn't the whole solution just dropping the current light housing, rebuild it in aluminum?
.... Yeppers..... but the video, and general app, is for low wattage apps. The new 13-23 watt apps, are in fact on another level, that requires forced air to cool the emitter/emitters. The biggest led emitter i have used are 3 watt, and I used a combination of aluminum backing ( not designated heat sink, and print board to cool, and it is lasting just fine. But when you get into 15+ watts on a single emitter, then general consensus is that you need forced air on the emitter itself. I personally do not dig that, as those little fans are unpredictable. I would never use a headlight that relied on a small fan to run. On a dirt bike...... Well, if my rad fan tends to seize.... then I can just imagine what the little computer fan would do.

Erling
Old 01-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
The entire front mounting system, I agree, structural integrity has been sacrificed in the pursuit of aesthetics and weight savings.

If I wasn't putting the house on the market in the next few weeks and starting a home build project, i'd start diving in.

Right now, it's a bit low on the priority list...until I build my new shop ;)
Right on..... Long term planning now. Perhaps make it your new shops first project.

Erling
Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
.... Yeppers..... but the video, and general app, is for low wattage apps. The new 13-23 watt apps, are in fact on another level, that requires forced air to cool the emitter/emitters. The biggest led emitter i have used are 3 watt, and I used a combination of aluminum backing ( not designated heat sink, and print board to cool, and it is lasting just fine. But when you get into 15+ watts on a single emitter, then general consensus is that you need forced air on the emitter itself. I personally do not dig that, as those little fans are unpredictable. I would never use a headlight that relied on a small fan to run. On a dirt bike...... Well, if my rad fan tends to seize.... then I can just imagine what the little computer fan would do.
Ok fair enough. What is the reason to not go for an array of led lights then? More complex lens design?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtw View Post
Ok fair enough. What is the reason to not go for an array of led lights then? More complex lens design?
This is just my opinion. As you use a multi point light source you will never be able to focus, and direct the light, as good as compare to a single source light source. Example, as I have made several tail light assys, and blinkers from scratch, I h have seen great close proximity light, say inside 50-60 feet, but as you want light to penetrate further out to the hundreds of feet, you need more light, and a good lens. I have seen many LED light bars, and currently use a set of Denaly D2's. and while they are great inside 100-150 feet, they are not even close to the single source HID high beam throwing out usable light in the 300-500 feet arena. To do so they need a monster amount of light, a reflector, and a great lens. I think they are almost there, but with that great source of energy, the way the LED's work, they unfortunately run hotter by far than their HID counterparts.....watt to watt.

Erling
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #15
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, thank you for the clarification :)!