Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #17
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
This is just my opinion. As you use a multi point light source you will never be able to focus, and direct the light, as good as compare to a single source light source. Example, as I have made several tail light assys, and blinkers from scratch, I h have seen great close proximity light, say inside 50-60 feet, but as you want light to penetrate further out to the hundreds of feet, you need more light, and a good lens. I have seen many LED light bars, and currently use a set of Denaly D2's. and while they are great inside 100-150 feet, they are not even close to the single source HID high beam throwing out usable light in the 300-500 feet arena. To do so they need a monster amount of light, a reflector, and a great lens. I think they are almost there, but with that great source of energy, the way the LED's work, they unfortunately run hotter by far than their HID counterparts.....watt to watt.
Very True. But Long Range LEDs are here, Hid is quickly becoming history.
This gate is at 900 plus ft, cones at 100 ft intervals with the truck at 600 ft. total power draw is 50 watts
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #18
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Or perhaps these.....
Are those DOT?
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Are those DOT?
Indeed they are. They were manufactured by hella for buell. Both the 90,60, and 50 mm are oem hellas. That is the only wayI will do this. I have stuck too many hid,s in a reflector housing to acknowlede that it is a good idea to do so. So hella dot, s it is. Both the 50...60...and 90 mm has the same optics as their hid counterpart.

Erling
Old 01-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Very True. But Long Range LEDs are here, Hid is quickly becoming history.
This gate is at 900 plus ft, cones at 100 ft intervals with the truck at 600 ft. total power draw is 50 watts
I am aware of the LED's coming awefully fast, and perhaps some are here, but they usually represent in big bulky housings like this....

What light (s) are used in your picture...???

Edit... Never mind, I went to your site. I am not adding any aux lights. I am modding the oem's.

Erling
Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #21
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 681
Just looked up the specs for that projector. Seems very doable. and I'm liking the prices for the modules. For grins, I looked up the Hella Bi-LED module, the price...still coughing on that one.

I really liked the combination setup that the Ducati Designs setup had.

They were both Hella. One was a bi-halogen, the other was a traditional reflector for high beam only.

Even back then, with 65W halogens, I couldn't out ride the lights on the ST4s at night at 140+
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #22
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just looked up the specs for that projector. Seems very doable. and I'm liking the prices for the modules. For grins, I looked up the Hella Bi-LED module, the price...still coughing on that one.

I really liked the combination setup that the Ducati Designs setup had.

They were both Hella. One was a bi-halogen, the other was a traditional reflector for high beam only.

Even back then, with 65W halogens, I couldn't out ride the lights on the ST4s at night at 140+
Indeed. They are very good lights. In fact, I think the ones to beat. ( OEM) I had a long talk with the owner of the US distributor ( Rallylights.com) and he is so extremely helpful, and have an infinite amount of knowledge to add. I asked him about the 60mm vs the 90 mm, and he mentioned that the 90mm are made for cars, whereas the 60 are for compact apps, and were made for the buell's. When I then asked which ones gave the best light pattern...least scatter.... etc.... he said that they really were about the same. They mount them ( Rallylights.com) is police cars, and the cops mentioned that they no longer need their spots. They can also be mounted up with the 9011 lamp ( halogen) and that is the closest you can get to a HID with a halogen. ( 300 lumens away) I am liking the setup of the 60mm, along with the price. The LED's were sure pricy... ha ha. I think these will leave a good test base for the HID conversion. They were out of the low beams, as they sell a ton of them, but mid next week, they should have them back, and I will get a set, and experiment with Halogen vs HID in them, before I begin the Carbonation.

Erling
Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #23
kyjenkin
Squatchy

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Nice.

In the mean time I've spent the past 4 hours staring and mulling over how to get one of the LED H4 fan cooled setups into our housing.

Short answer, it "Might" work with some really creative mods, the light output of the CREE chips is awesome, but BMW just don't give a guy any room to mess about with the stock housing.

I'm kind of pissed, i'm usually really good at cobbing stuff together that shouldn't work.

While looking over the mounts, I came up with the same solution you're going with. It's sort of like the Ducati ST4s setup I had from Ducatidesigns years ago. The only problem is, I don't have the time to mock something up.

http://www.ducatidesigns.com/headlight_upgrades?b=1
Electicalconnection.com has 25w Cree LED headlight bulbs that come with a voltage regulator & coming fan for $75

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
kyjenkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #24
bumbee800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
what about this solution

This is a good setup for the KTM's could be retrofitted for BMW use. Has high and low built in and is LED based.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlCYtaAadgY

http://en.enduro-tech.eu/products-an...lights/dual-5/
bumbee800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #25
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbee800 View Post
This is a good setup for the KTM's could be retrofitted for BMW use. Has high and low built in and is LED based.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlCYtaAadgY

http://en.enduro-tech.eu/products-an...lights/dual-5/
That setup is too big, and does not look OEM. It is great for off road work, as you tend to move slower. I want to create a OEM looking setup, and for that purpose, I think the 60mm Hellas will fit the bill. I would be ok with the 90mm as well, but according to the Hella importer, they are not any better than the 60mm, and fit will be an issue, as they are a bit bigger.

Erling
Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #26
BMacW650

Oddometer: 730
I just want to chime in here. I've used the $700 dollar bi-LED hella 90mm lamp. single beam hella lamp (60, 90) with HID, JW Speaker's 90mm LED low beam.

In short summary.
Anytime you have to 'engineer light pattern (i.e. DOT or ECE approved Low beam), LED is BAD. It's just harder to do with the directional nature of the beam.

LED is great for high beam and offroad applications, because you are just throwing a bunch of light forward ( no big reflector, or lens, simple to do)

For street legal applications, still nothing beats high quality projector lamp with HID. Even the hella's LED projector is not as good as the HID version.

When you factor in the cost, getting aux, or high beam LED might be effective, but for your main driving light, stick with good projector+hid.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #27
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
I just want to chime in here. I've used the $700 dollar bi-LED hella 90mm lamp. single beam hella lamp (60, 90) with HID, JW Speaker's 90mm LED low beam.

In short summary.
Anytime you have to 'engineer light pattern (i.e. DOT or ECE approved Low beam), LED is BAD. It's just harder to do with the directional nature of the beam.

LED is great for high beam and offroad applications, because you are just throwing a bunch of light forward ( no big reflector, or lens, simple to do)

For street legal applications, still nothing beats high quality projector lamp with HID. Even the hella's LED projector is not as good as the HID version.

When you factor in the cost, getting aux, or high beam LED might be effective, but for your main driving light, stick with good projector+hid.
Awesome info. Thanks again for sharing your R&D. I think at this point it looks like 60mm Hella projector+HID for low beam, and the 90mm Hella Freeform with either HID, or LED.
Thanks again.

Erling
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #28
BMacW650

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
I think the 60mm Hellas will fit the bill. I would be ok with the 90mm as well, but according to the Hella importer, they are not any better than the 60mm, and fit will be an issue, as they are a bit bigger.
FYI, 90mm Single lamp Hella (not the bi-xeon, bi-led, bi-halogen model) is an older design. The actual projector in the 90mm lens is much smaller than 90mm, it's also much smaller than the 60mm lens. 60mm is the newer design and the entire circumference is the glass projector lens.

The even newer Hella bi-whatever 90mm lenses has true 90mm projector lenses.

They are all amazing for HID application anyways.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #29
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
FYI, 90mm Single lamp Hella (not the bi-xeon, bi-led, bi-halogen model) is an older design. The actual projector in the 90mm lens is much smaller than 90mm, it's also much smaller than the 60mm lens. 60mm is the newer design and the entire circumference is the glass projector lens.

The even newer Hella bi-whatever 90mm lenses has true 90mm projector lenses.

They are all amazing for HID application anyways.
Yeppers. I spend quite a lot of time with Will, and Dave at Rallylights.com, and they are fantastic, at sharing info on their lamps. I think that perhaps since many cars still have Halogen for high beams, the free flow smaller reflector lens carried over. The HID side is a bit easier to manage on the high beam side, as you mentioned that not it is just a matter of throwing the light forward, not worrying about hot spots. As you have observed that the 60mm Hella does not project as far forward, as the free form 90mm, I would go with the 90, based on that.....although you retained the halogen bulb on your setup. You think the 60mm would throw any better with the HID, or LED. I will go with the better beam, as I have room to spare.
Thanks

Erling
Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #30
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lights have been chosen.

So after asking many different people, that have worked with all kinds of lights, I have decided on the following lights.
Low beam..... Hella 60mm Projector with 9005 HID 5000K...

http://www.rallylights.com/all/light...mp-module.html

And for the high beam I chose the bit more expensive, but what I believe is the best looking LED I have ever seen.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...ight_p_61.html

I will begin as soon as the lights come in.

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 07:37 PM