Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #46
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
no cutoff shield on the projector unit?
Yes the 60mm Hella projector is DOT low beam, the LED has none.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #47
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
so the standard dip-switch setup is fine then, no?
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #48
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
so the standard dip-switch setup is fine then, no?
Yes. As compared to stock. The big stock low beam housing will be replaced with the 60mm projector, and the small stock high beam with the 4 1/2 inch LED. One thing you will loose is the parking lamp. I have yet to use it on my 2009 .

Erling
Old 02-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #49
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
So I unpacked the 25 watt led high beam yesterday, and fired it up with a dc power supply. Here are a few initial observations. Color temp is perfect. I will say about 5000-5500K. Throw is crazy far, but with a caveat. I will classify this as a pencil beam. I know cyclops does not use this, but it is thin and very far. I got what I wished for. The caveat..... poor spread in the upfront area. I will be quick to say that is not the lights fault. It is doing what it was designed to do, and it is doing it great. Mind you this is with the single led on only. I suspect this will remedy itself, with the addition of the Hella 60mm single projector. Come to thing about it, I think this will be a perfect combo. If any of you are planing to run a single 25W LRE with nothing else, I think you will fall short in the immediate 100 feet illumination. I don't see why you would do that though, without your low beam on. Mind you, this is going to be a stock headlight replacement. You can hang what ever lights on the bike you choose. That is not the point, merely how good can you make a OEM replacement. Stay tuned for pictures tonight. Suposed to be dust stormy again the next 4 days though. In closing..... I have never seen such a clean, bright, long throw LED. I can just imagine two of them. Very impressive.
Thanks The Long Range Extreme LED light is designed to offer several beam patterns, with no reflectors or the plain clear filter you get an extremely long range light, using two lights offers world class race lighting for any speed (fast or slow) due the fact you can adjust each light slightly different. A rider can aim one light down slightly to offer some close range fill.

The filters can be used to change the beam angle and does offer a wide throw. I highly recommend the clear wide beam filters. On my personal bike I run one wide beam filter and one open light for a very good overall combination.
To view the difference here are some photos.

no filters two light set

Same lights both with clear wide range filter

Note the beam angle is changed drastically yet the distance although much shorter is still very good.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #50
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Thanks The Long Range Extreme LED light is designed to offer several beam patterns, with no reflectors or the plain clear filter you get an extremely long range light, using two lights offers world class race lighting for any speed (fast or slow) due the fact you can adjust each light slightly different. A rider can aim one light down slightly to offer some close range fill.

The filters can be used to change the beam angle and does offer a wide throw. I highly recommend the clear wide beam filters. On my personal bike I run one wide beam filter and one open light for a very good overall combination.
To view the difference here are some photos.

no filters two light set

Same lights both with clear wide range filter

Note the beam angle is changed drastically yet the distance although much shorter is still very good.
Yeppers Darryl. This is a really good thing you have here. Imho, it has broken many barriers for LED's. I wish I could have two of them, in the oem bracket soon to be fabbed, but there are simply no room. I do think that the projector low beam will fill in the area nicely. Thanks again for all your help, and guidance.

Erling
Old 02-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #51
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Still waiting on the 60mm Projector from Hella. They are back ordered, and I have a date of Feb 21..... Really too bad there are not an affordable LED low beam housing available.

Erling
Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #52
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

60mm projector was shipped Monday. Should be here in the next few days. Time to begin the construction of the bracket.

Ironically there have been a lot of interest regading the pictures I posted, so my photobucket account has reached its band with. It will reset on the 21'st of each month. Sooooooo.... I will start with the pic's on Friday.

Erling
Old 02-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #53
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 666
Cool, I just got the Hawk Aux light mount yesterday. will be working with Darryl to see if he has an LED setup that will work with it.

I'll start a separate thread when that comes together.

I like light! too many deer in my area not to have it.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #54
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Cool, I just got the Hawk Aux light mount yesterday. will be working with Darryl to see if he has an LED setup that will work with it.

I'll start a separate thread when that comes together.

I like light! too many deer in my area not to have it.
Awesome..... Could you post a link to your light of choice. I think it would be good to have as many options here. I have one question...... Have you seen or are you aware of if the loss of the little 5 watt parking light will set off the canbus...???
I have been looking at alternatives, but I am not really liking the angel eyes. Perhaps I would grow in to it, but I never use that light.

Erling
Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #55
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,447
There have been a couple of folks that have changed their headlights and I always wondered about the compatibility with the CANBUS. Lost Rider and Running4melife are the two I remember off the top of my head.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT

MTrider16 screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 04:03 PM Reason: get the right username
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #56
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
There have been a couple of folks that have changed their headlights and I always wondered about the compatibility with the CANBUS. Lost Rider and Running4melife are the two I remember off the top of my head.
Yeppers.... I knew that Finn ( Lost) did it, but was unaware of Adam ( Runfmlife) did...... Paging Adam..... Ding ding....

Erling
Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #57
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

So as I gained acces to the headlight,by removing the stock setup, I leaned and verified a few things. First I will not be able to offer this as a kit. There are several reasons for that. First the high beam runs over US$200, and the low beam with HID about US$100. You could off course grapp them yourself, and I supply the bracket. That brings me to the second issue. It is pretty tight in there for the highbeam. As you wanna throw light far out you need a good size reflector. So that amounts to a very custom shaped bracket, that would be impossible to mould at a cost you would wanna pay. On top of that the stock unit without the bulbs weigh in at 987 grams, and the high beam alone weighs 700 grams. So this setup will weigh about twice the stock. On the 8GS that is a big deal, as with many other things on the 8GS they are under build. The headlight mount being one of them. I can only imagine how it must be vibrating with twice the amount of weight in there. That part is easy to fix. I will just lay a few strips of carbon along the headlight/windshield retainer, and that will actually benefit quite a lot. A third thing is as I began moulding the bracket, I really had to pour some layers in there, as I want this to be rock steady. As many knows, Carbon fiber layup is immensely strong, but flexible. So to make it stiff, you layer up, but loose the weight advantage. I will think I will end up with a 250-300 gram bracket. It will however survive any crash you can muster.... I think the best economical approach to making a bracket is to have it tig'ed in aluminum. Be prepared to spend some dough though, as it is very tight in there, and some silly angles is needed, if you want this fantabolous high beam LED. Lastly is the factory plug to the headlight. I have no other options than to cut it. That is ok with me, as I will simply splice back the stock plug, if I for any reason need to return the bike to stock. So it is a bit more encompassing that I first thought, but That is nothing new to me. Tomorrow the photobucket should reset, and I will begin posting the pictures. An a final note...... It is soooo easy to mess up the lines of this bike, as it is very well defined, but I think with just a alu bracket you would need to somewhat conceal the front, or it will look like crap...imho. When I held up the high LED I thought it looked bad, and I might need to somewhat enclose the front side, specially with the low beam projector. We shall see. I am hoping it will arrive tomorrow.

Erling
Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #58
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Well aren't you just full of a bunch of good news today.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #59
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

on the Aux front, between Darryl and I, just been crazy busy, and I think I derailed him when I sent him a pic of my wife's cleavage in a measurement shot.

Things like that happen around here sometimes.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #60
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Well aren't you just full of a bunch of good news today.
LOL.... Perhaps I should rephrase...... I can build it, but it will cost a lot. I am very interested to follow what you do, so please share. I almost went with a dual high LED ( one 10 and one 20 degr.) with the low in the middle. It can be done, but it would look ugly. Just imagine though..... Let there be light.

Erling