Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #61
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
on the Aux front, between Darryl and I, just been crazy busy, and I think I derailed him when I sent him a pic of my wife's cleavage in a measurement shot.

Things like that happen around here sometimes.
Ha ha ha.... Like durangoman's old avatar..... It was hard not to look. Soooooo... what is darryl building for ya....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #62
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,585

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Glad you went with the lights you did -- I mean, how would you know it's a Beemer if it didn't have asymmetric headlights?
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #63
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Ha ha ha.... Like durangoman's old avatar..... It was hard not to look. Soooooo... what is darryl building for ya....
Not building, just trying to figure out how big we can go with that Hawk Mount.

It's kind of a weird setup on the 13+ bikes. I'll start a thread on that now, just to show the mount.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #64
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Glad you went with the lights you did -- I mean, how would you know it's a Beemer if it didn't have asymmetric headlights?
Ha ha.... Right.
I think it will look very nice when done. But I will admit that it will look different than I had originally envisioned. This combo can be applied across the board of most BMW with that headlight......

Erling
Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #65
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not building, just trying to figure out how big we can go with that Hawk Mount.

It's kind of a weird setup on the 13+ bikes. I'll start a thread on that now, just to show the mount.
Well...... As I finalize the bracket I will have a better idea of the cost to reprint it. Hopefully pb will reload tomorrow so I can post the bracket pictures. I am excited about how it looks.

Erling
Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #66
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Don't think I've seen this mentioned in the thread yet? Might be a future option for others...

http://pmledheadlights.com/
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #67
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
Don't think I've seen this mentioned in the thread yet? Might be a future option for others...

http://pmledheadlights.com/
Thanks for adding that link. Options are always great, and I think the LED technology, is coming crazy fast. It would be a great solution, for the ones who is considering one big light, and them perhaps a couple of long range aux'es on the side. Only thing is though, as this is a replacement insert, you need to fab up a bit more, than with the Baja HID, as this does not have its own housing,like the Baja style does.

Erling
Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #68
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Im sorry, but I was wrong. The PB should reset tomorrow, or midnight there after. Bracket is almost done. I feel like I am making a f8GS gas tank, as it is shaped, and crammed way in there, to fit the lamps. Even then the big LED will stick out 2-3 inches...... I think it's gonna be good. The projector did not come in today, as I thought.

Erling
Old 02-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #69
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

You're worse than my girlfriend on prom night......all talk
Old 02-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #70
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You're worse than my girlfriend on prom night......all talk

Ha ha..... No joke ehh..... I was all exited thinking I could post today.... Then ....poof.....nottin.
I like what I see though.... He he.

Erling
Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #71
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

So as PB released my band with.... I can now share .
First I gained access to the headlight, by removing the stock housing, with the dual HID,s

Then as usual, it was time to make a plug. At this point, I know the LED high beam is big, but I want it. So I knew this is going to be a tight fit, with mods to the bracket as we go along.

Plug on the table, ready to be covered.

As I knew I would have to mod it during the stage...mind you I still do not have the low beam projector, only measurements....I decided only to use two strips , 40 inches long, of 12K 12 oz., and MAX 1618 epoxy. That way, I can easily mod it as I go along.

Foam was then removed with a screw driver, and a dremel ( just like a dentist....) and then I saw the first mod needed. Note the square aft bottom corners..... They had to be angled, so I sanded them off, taped the outside, and prepped for bottom layers, as it now fits tightly on the bike.

Then 6 layers of 12K 12oz was put down, this time using MAX HTE epoxy, for strength, and stiffness. At the same time, I began grinding the top of to make room for the LED.

It quick became apparent that there simply was not enough room, and drastic measures was needed. So it was cut completely. taped on the outside, and prepped for mod two.

Two layers of 12K 12oz, and four 3K 6oz with HTE, cooking. Notice the brace, to hold it square as it post heat cure.

Then it is time for the mount design for the Cyclops Extreme Long range LED. The mount it came with is made of steel, I think, as it weighs in at 268 grams. and the light just under 700 grams, so instead of using the supplied mount, I decided to same some weight, and bond my own. A square piece of wood was cut, and covered in plastic. It has the dimensions of the LED mount. The taps was taped in place with electrical tape...

It was them marked, and bonded in place with 5 minute epoxy.

Block removed..... Note, this was some scrap CF I had left over from another project.

Fit is good with the supplied M8 bolt, but I knew I had to find another, as the mount will grow too wide for this one.

So strips of 2x2 inches of 12K 12oz was cut. ( about 10 each side) and bonded with MAX HTE, with a layer of plastic, and bracing, it is now curing under heat.

And here is where I was last night, just before I drilled the new holes, with a toothpick.... or so it appears. I do not have a right angle drill... (I will after this...) And the holes were drilled with what ever I could fine. My fingers feel like cabbage today......

So back out in the garage I go..... enjoy.

Erling
Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #72
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

That's freaking awesome!

I was envisioning that the asymmetrical design was out. Since most mortals don't have the fancy carbon windscreen, my thought was to make it the same size, or even bigger all the way across since the clear windscreen can be trimmed with some finesse.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #73
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's freaking awesome!

I was envisioning that the asymmetrical design was out. Since most mortals don't have the fancy carbon windscreen, my thought was to make it the same size, or even bigger all the way across since the clear windscreen can be trimmed with some finesse.
Thanks.
I wanted to keep the asymmetrical look, as I tend to mock minimally with the bike lines, as a lot went in there. The lights just sorta fell into place. I chose them for their performance, and what I believe what is the best money can buy. Funny thing is that the lights are now reversed, High beam now on the right...... I like that .....

Erling
Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #74
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then 6 layers of 12K 12 oz on the top, which will finish the top layer wise..... Perhaps one or two on the outside top, to mask the mod for the top of the LED. That would be purely for aesthetics, not strength.

Erling
Old 02-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #75
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

The next step, is something many can benefit from..... Whoever that designed the bracket common to the headlight, and screen or'd to be sent to Siberia.... No wait, that is in Russia. But what an idiot. Every time the wind bashes your screen, your headlight vibrates.... or hit a pothole, your headlight, and screen vibrates. Nice. Anyway. I used 4 sections of one inch Carbon Fiber tape....
http://uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html

Then cut the four strips....

Soak them in 1618..

Then I used just a dap of 5 minute epoxy to wet the scored, and cleaned in acetone surface on the stock brace. That will hold the strips in place as it gets tacky, and will hold on to just about anything, including wetted CF.

Note I added a little more around the headlight mount.

Then onward to the main bracket. It was then trimmed to accommodate the big LED...

Erling