ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Tragic Image OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
New In Nothern LA County/Southern Kern

Hey guys,

I'm new to exploring Southern California away from the pavement. I've been riding about 6 years and just picked up my first dirt toy; A 2004 KTM 525 EXC with all of about 11 hours on it... and to be honest, I'm clueless about it.

I picked it up last night, and rode it around a bit in the hills behind my house today when I got home from work. Very fun, very different from riding a street bike.

I've been lurking around for a bit on here, ThumperTalk, and KTMForums but I think that I will fit in best here.

I hope to find some people to ride around with that are willing to deal with a total noob, that asks a plethora of questions, and thinks being "throttle shy" is really just a good safety measure. I tend to have a very methodical approach to growing my riding ability.

A little about myself:

I live in Palmdale, and work in the Aerospace industry. It is probably one of the things I am most passionate about. I am currently engaged to a wonderful woman who is pestering me to pick her up a little CR150 or 230 for her to learn how to ride on. She just might get one too!

Tragic Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Image View Post
I live in Palmdale, and work in the Aerospace industry.
Where do you work?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Oddometer: 221
PM Sent.

http://ConTeacher.whereamiriding.com
ConTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Tragic Image OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race View Post
Where do you work?
Currently I'm with Lockheed, but have been with BAE and Scaled Composites in the past.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Welcome! I think you'll enjoy it here
Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Welcome!! My sister and bro in law both worked at Scaled for a while, Angela and Jessy Gray. Currently work in construction but have thought of applying to Lockheed. Need a bit of change. Have they opened the hiring freeze yet??

I live in Lancaster myself. With my bike back together and the weather warming up, Im going to be riding more often. Lot of good exploring out here, especially out towards Red Rock and Randsburg area. If youre interested we could go do a ride sometime. I ride a pig of a KLR so its not like I can do any really technical stuff anyways.

My rides do tend to wander a bit though. One of the nice things about riding primarily solo.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Tragic Image OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Welcome!! My sister and bro in law both worked at Scaled for a while, Angela and Jessy Gray. Currently work in construction but have thought of applying to Lockheed. Need a bit of change. Have they opened the hiring freeze yet??

I live in Lancaster myself. With my bike back together and the weather warming up, Im going to be riding more often. Lot of good exploring out here, especially out towards Red Rock and Randsburg area. If youre interested we could go do a ride sometime. I ride a pig of a KLR so its not like I can do any really technical stuff anyways.

My rides do tend to wander a bit though. One of the nice things about riding primarily solo.
Nope, they haven't lifted the hiring freeze at Lockheed Martin. I just sort of fell back into working for them... just answered the phone at the right time.

I don't mind wandering rides at all. In fact thats how much of my road rides on the VFR go. I just see a road and think "well where does that go?".

We could certainly go exploring together since we're practically neighbors. Just send me off an PM on here when you get the urge to head out. Either off road or otherwise.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Tragic Image OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, I got out and played a bit more today. Had fun, figured out a thing or two... got my comfort level on the bike up a bit.

Pretty foggy when I was out, and a bit cold, and a little wet, but it was still fun to just putt-putt around on some dirt roads.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
Tragic Image OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great ride today with ConTeacher.

I went down 2 times, and got my first taste of trail side maintenance.

Couldn't of asked for a better day.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
ScooterboyII
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
If you have never done any dirt riding before you will no doubt hurt yourself on that bike. It is just too much bike for a beginner dirt rider, no matter how long you have ridden on the pavement.
ScooterboyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Tragic Image OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterboyII View Post
If you have never done any dirt riding before you will no doubt hurt yourself on that bike. It is just too much bike for a beginner dirt rider, no matter how long you have ridden on the pavement.
While I appreciate your concern for my safety, I assure you that the bike has a variable control throttle with a disciplined wrist firmly attached.

Where I'm lacking is the finesse in front brake modulation.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,677
welcome to the Asylum.

we have identical bikes (yours has not been gangbanged like mine).

we do plenty of rides all around.

check out the RFBK thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525506

it is not far from Palmdale and is a GREAT OHV area for noobs as well as vets.

tip on the front brakes, use one finger (that's NOT what she said.)

see you on the trails!!!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #13
Tragic Image OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
welcome to the Asylum.

we have identical bikes (yours has not been gangbanged like mine).

we do plenty of rides all around.

check out the RFBK thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525506

it is not far from Palmdale and is a GREAT OHV area for noobs as well as vets.

tip on the front brakes, use one finger (that's NOT what she said.)

see you on the trails!!!
Thanks for the tip on the front brakes, and going solo finger.

I've posted to the RFBK thread. I honestly believe I can link into that trail system from behind my house. I have been out exploring as time has permitted.

If not then the meet up spot is less than 10 miles from my front door.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,573
Welcome to ADV.
Great peeps to ride with here.

Watch for upcoming group rides here in the regionals section.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Klammer
Old and Grumpy

Oddometer: 2,320
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Image View Post

Does anyone know if you could link together these trails together with ones leaving from Palmdale?

I live in the Amber Ridge Housing development, which is nearly at the end of Lake Elizabeth Road.

I think i made if over to what I believe to be Sierra Pelona West this evening, but it looked nothing like the video that was posted. I saw several "Mountain Recreation and Conservation Authority" signs. I wasn't sure if I could/should be riding in these areas. It might of been in the Ritter Ranch Park area?

It was probably my 3rd or 4th time out on the bike... and I wasn't exactly sure what I'm allowed to be doing. But I would eventually like to link this into other trail systems, such as Rowher Flats.
Welcome to the assylum TI. Sorry I missed your post over on the RFBK but I'll awnser your question here. As tempting as it is, all those trails you see from your house are closed to the public. The Sierra Pellona ridge is only open to motorized vehicle travel within Rowher Flats OHV area. From Bouquet the boundries are 6N08 on the East and 6N07 on the west. There is a staging area on Bouquet across from Quarry Rd. Quarry road is open to ohv travel into the Drinkwater OHV area and a staging area for Drinkwater on San Francisquito Cyn rd.
Here are a couple of links with info about the Discovery Trail which is open to green sticker ohv travel. I noticed that there is no licence plate on the back of your bike, so I assume that it's green stickered.

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/feature/dual-sport-ride-angeles-forest-discovery-trail-10939.html

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/dirtbike/232006/331836/image001.jpg

Keep your eye on the Rowher Flats Breakfast Klub thread and meet up with us. Also over on Thumper Talk there's a good group of guys riding that area often on weekends. You'll find them in the California ride section on a thread called intermediate weekend rides.

Hope to ride with you soon.
Rich
Save $5.00 on SmugMug (coupon vJQj53lXRtVfs) http://smugmug.com/
Klammer is offline   Reply With Quote