ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #91
Patj551
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Our local paper ran a nice piece on this. Google "sky high news Rollins pass" and you'll find it. Sorry, haven't figured out how to copy/paste URLs on the iPad!
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #92
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,056
Here ya go:

http://www.skyhidailynews.com/news/1...ty-pass-tunnel

BOULDER — Next week, supporters of Rollins Pass could make strides in opening the historic mountain road once again.

After reviewing a proposal by Grand and Gilpin Counties to repair and re-open the Needles Eye Tunnel, Boulder County commissioners will take public comment on allowing vehicular traffic to link Colorado Highway 119 to U.S. Highway 40 for the first time in nearly 15 years.

Needles Eye Tunnel is located on the Rollins Pass leg, winding through Boulder County. Portions of Rollins Pass, sometimes called Corona Pass, running through Gilpin and Grand counties remain open to high-clearance, four-wheel drive vehicles, but the small tunnel has remained a roadblock since a falling rock injured a traveler in 1990. After a $85,000 lawsuit, Boulder County officials had the Needles Eye closed.

The proposal submitted by Grand and Gilpin commissioners recommends forming a tunnel authority to assume liability and risk, outlines methods of funding the road and tunnel repairs and offers suggestions for environmental preservation along the road, which winds along the boundary of James Peak Wilderness.

Boulder County Commissioners will take public comment regarding the proposal from Boulder County residents at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 13, at the Boulder County Courthouse.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #93
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,056
Funny how no one ever mentions that closing both roads is in direct violation of the legislation that created the wilderness.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #94
dirtydoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Funny how no one ever mentions that closing both roads is in direct violation of the legislation that created the wilderness.
is there any way to get the feds involved.... last i herd fed laws trump state laws...or even counties

i know it wont happen but it sure would be funny if the parties involved were arrested and thrown in jail...thats what happens when us normal people violate the law
dirtydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #95
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Because that fact is a slippery slope that favors opening the road.
Perhaps this is the very point each and every one who favors opening the road should mention at the meeting, quote the law, and stand firm and believe that the law will prevail. I am tasked out of town so unfortunately I cannot attend.
Good luck!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #96
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
is there any way to get the feds involved.... last i herd fed laws trump state laws...or even counties

i know it wont happen but it sure would be funny if the parties involved were arrested and thrown in jail...thats what happens when us normal people violate the law
Laws are only pertinant when someone ponies up the $$ to make a legal challenge. Those with the most $$ are likely to win.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #97
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post

That's a slippery slope. Do we always want Fed laws to trump state laws? Especially here in Colo? Feds say marijuana is still illegal. Coloradoans say it's not.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #98
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,458
Right you set one tire in "Wilderness" and the anti's cite book and verse the "Federal rules" that we are not allowed to use mechanized vehicles across the imaginary line.

But OUR SIDE mentions the Federal Law...it's an "inconvenient truth"
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #99
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
That's a slippery slope. Do we always want Fed laws to trump state laws? Especially here in Colo? Feds say marijuana is still illegal. Coloradoans say it's not.
Well in that case the Wilderness is not legal as that is a Federal thing.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #100
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
well making fun at the other view does nothing to help your view.
Well gah-lee Mr. Eakins, I'll try to remember that. . . .

I'll look forward to your next profound tidbit.

Anyway, back at the front. . . I'll try to make this meeting, although I have a large volunteer project that day (they're coming up from CSP), so may have a hard time exiting early.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #101
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
Was makin a joke. Seems I have major difficulties with sarcasm on this forum.
ah got ya.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #102
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariahtize View Post
Well gah-lee Mr. Eakins, I'll try to remember that. . . .

I'll look forward to your next profound tidbit.

Anyway, back at the front. . . I'll try to make this meeting, although I have a large volunteer project that day (they're coming up from CSP), so may have a hard time exiting early.

give me a beer or 3 and i'll whip up something for ya.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #103
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 707

As a former Winter Park resident, I hope the tunnel is opened once again. However, I don't think the odds look very good for that outcome. I used to live in Boulder too, but I didn't inform any of the folks I know who still live there about this meeting because they would voice opposition to reopening.

What is good about Boulder? Well they have a great private gun club with a waiting list many years long to get in (decades long). It was always funny to visit as a guest and discuss the political problems about having a gun club in Boulder

Sometimes I need something TODAY!, that is only available at stores in Boulder, like McGuckin's and J. B Saunders.

If you haven't visited the Shelby American Collection in N. Boulder................ go
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #104
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Saw my state rep today and bent his ear on the issue. Told him I understood it was probably more of a county issue and there may be nothing for him to get involved in but that I'd appreciate it if he'd take 5minutes to google the topic.

I also shared my point of view that there may be public safety concerns with floods/fires and the egress/ingress blockage.

Additionally I pointed out that the law creating the wilderness stated the route is to be open and that many feel Boulder is in violation of the law. But without deep pockets to sue, we are stuck unless Thursday's meeting goes well.

He's a gun rights supporter and we shared a chuckle that the argument for taking away freedoms from the public always boils down the same; "what if some crazy/irresponsible/inconsiderate individual goes off trail/shoots someone/gets behind the wheel etc...
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #105
AllesKlar
Herr Kommissar?

Oddometer: 28
Times Call support

There is an interesting OpEd in the Longmont paper this morning. Ed Lehman is usually just a bit farther to the right than, say, Barry Goldwater and about as old. He just came out strongly in favor of re-opening this road and mentions the meeting. The Boulder County commissioners need to be reminded that Boulder is the name of a county and not just a city. Sorry, but I don't know if this will link, but here is the url.

http://www.timescall.com/ci_25106346/ed-lehman-attend-meeting-this-week-reopening-rollins?IADID=Search-www.timescall.com-www.timescall.com
AllesKlar is offline   Reply With Quote