ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
bruceca2002 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Phoenix Area Road Rides

I am going to be in Phoenix for a couple of weeks and I would like to ride some of the best paved roads in the area for day trips, What are your favorite routes? Thanks. Bruce
bruceca2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Roddy boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Bruce, start with hwy 87 out of Scottsdale to Payson, south on 188 to Globe, west on 60 back to Phoenix. About 3.5 hours riding plus sights. To extend the loop another 90 minutes, go east on 60/70 from Globe, south on 77, North on 177, then home on 60. One of my favorite day rides during winter, as the time at higher elevations is not long enough to be really cold.
Roddy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
WJP4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
60W through Globe stay on 60W 77N Go through Salt River Canyon. Into Show-Low Pick up 260 W. Through Heber - Overgaard and into Payson. South on 87 back to town or take 188 past lake Roosevelt and onto 60.

Rt. 60 W to 77 S. Either 177 Back to 60 for a short loop or go down to 79 N. and into Florence for a longer loop.

Rt. 85 S. out of Gila Bend take it to 86 run that down through the Res. and take the ride up to Kit Peak. Back down and over to Sandario Rd. into Marana. Then you can pick up the I-10 Back. I like to do this loop from the marana side some good lunch spots in Gila Bend.
These are just a few of my favorite day trips. Should keep ya busy for a couple days.
WJP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
One more little loop for you. Take HW 60 East up to Superior then HW 177 over to HW 77 Winkelman. Then North back up to HW 60. Now just go West into Globe on HW 60 back to the Valley.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
74 to Wickenberg-89 to Yarnell for breakfast, first stop at the top of the hill on the right Then on to Jerome, excellent breakfast spot there too, Mile high Cafe. Maaaany twisties. You'll love it. Many other rides, depending on what kind of bike you're on. Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,266
South Mountain

If you are near downtown and want to check out an excellent view of the city of Phoenix and get a few good twisties in at the same time ride down Central Ave and make it up to the top of South Mountain. On the back side you'll get a nice view of Ahwatukee.
Be aware that there are no posted speed limit signs and some of the curves are blind and sharp. Perfect SUMO type of road.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
bruceca2002 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Thanks guys, it looks like all good rides lead to Globe and then in many different directions. I appreciate any other input. Cheers, Bruce
bruceca2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
My favorite is Phoenix- Wickenburg - Yarnell - Wilhoit - Prescott - Jerome - Sedona. You can go, or not go, all of the way through Oak Creek to Flagstaff, depending on temperature. Lots of twisties. Twisty galore.

A short day could be done by 87 N towards Payson. Turn off to right and head to Saguaro Lake, then take a left at the 4-way stop sign and head S through Usery Pass and make another left on Brown Road which will take you to the Apache Trail. Follow that as far as Tortilla Flat, which makes a nice lunch stop and turn around point. Extreme scenery past Superstition Mountains, Weaver's Needle, and Canyon Lake. Best done on a weekday, and the road surface can be a bit sketchy with a bit of scree here and there, but easily seen and avoided.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,289
The ride out to Bartlet lake is beautiful ride through the desert and close. The restaurant at saguaro lake has a great view and is also a nice ride along the salt river. Also close.

-dod