ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #301
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
THANKS everyone for sharing your photos & videos!

I just edited this into my previous post, but what the heck. Here's Ed's video of chasing me around an old Cowbell Enduro track. Trails 25 & 38 were the best!

Catfish ...
I had fun just watching this video. Snowball is getting excited.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #302
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,525
Thanks to Dean, Janet, Mario and the others whose contributions make this my favorite ADV rally.

It was fun seeing old friends and finally associating new faces with ADV handles. Of course it helps that the weather and riding was also great.

I didn't take that many pictures this year and got zero video because I had my GoPro set up wrong (thought I had it in one-button mode).

I rode with Bill (Speed Racer), Darrell (kawtipper) and Randall (r3r3r) on Friday. In the morning we rode up to the Pine Mtn lookout and then did some exploring on the roads in that area. After lunch back at camp, we checked out some roads off of M1 before Hull Mtn.

Friday Tracks:

Bill, Darrell and Randall at Pine Mtn lookout.

The guardian of Pine Mountain lookout.

On Saturday, Scott (fish whisperer) joined our group to do some exploring to the north. We rode up to the M6-M61 junction and some exploration of side roads to the east. Bill and I headed back to camp early when his bike started running poorly. At camp we took his carb apart and found his needle had broken in half.

Tracks for Saturday:

Bill had ridden in on his bike on Thursday with Darrell. But now he had a non-running bike. So on Sunday we put his bike on the hitch rack of my van so he could get get it home to Sacramento and I spent Sunday riding with Darrell and Scott across the forest. Those guy's bikes were loaded with camping gear as they had ridden in, but my bike was unencumbered as I would head to Bill's house after we split up to get my van and drive back to SF.

It was a great day of riding, well mostly. We ended up on 17N07 which we had not ridden before. The first 3+ miles was great, but the next 3+ was a steep, rutted and overgrown uphill trail that was challenging on our large DS bikes (2 DR650s and a KTM 640 ADV). After that the rest of the ride was fun, with a pretty impressive display of flowers along M5 as we headed south towards Bartlett Springs Rd.

Tracks for Sunday:

Darrell preparing for the creek crossing at the M5 - Bartlett Springs Rd junction.

And there he goes:

Thanks again everybody.

Looking forward to next year. SherryFromSF already said she'd love to join us. I think it was the pics of the Saturday night dinner that sealed the deal.

Hope Joel is also able to join us.
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #303
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Awesome! Super jealous I couldn't make it! Looked like you guys had a blast!

Could someone send me a gpx file of their tracks please and thank you! Email is yohanbouvron@gmail.com!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #304
cobra46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Awesome! Super jealous I couldn't make it! Looked like you guys had a blast!

Could someone send me a gpx file of their tracks please and thank you! Email is yohanbouvron@gmail.com!

I have some tracks for a super fun ride we did on Saturday. It is geared towards smaller bikes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
cobra46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #305
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra46 View Post
I have some tracks for a super fun ride we did on Saturday. It is geared towards smaller bikes.

Hhhhhm might be tight but we cat try! I'll be going with a gs1200 ang a Tiger 800.. Maybe more big bikes

You think they wouldn't be passable with bigger bikes n knobbies?

y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #306
cobra46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Check out longtallsally's video and you can tell me.

I don't think it would be good on a big bike.

My tracks from Friday would be good however. We had a 990 with us.

cobra46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #307
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Friday Tracks:

Bill, Darrell and Randall at Pine Mtn lookout.

Tracks for Saturday:

Tracks for Sunday:

And there he goes:

Hope Joel is also able to join us.

very nice!

joe, i will do my best on the next one!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #308
cme4lyt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme4lyt View Post
Maybe I spoke a little to soon ?

0623 and I sit here in Walnut Creek with a busted radiator in my LandCruiser. Gonna try limp it home and then head to uhaul and possibly rent a truck/van with a hitch for the bike.

Not sure if this might work so if someone reads this and is heading to camp, pls let Dean know that Jonathan might not be joining you guys and gals this weekend.

Hopefully, I'll see you all soon.....albeit a little later than expected.

Have fun and be safe !!!!!
I guess I should put a period on this earlier post in case anyone is wondering....

I limped my Cruiser back home and then started racking my brain for a vehicle. We tried U-haul, Enterprise, Hertz Truck rental and anything else we could think of. Tried a buddy with a van but it was booked. I finally thought of a gal at work who has a Chevy Tahoe and so after a bit of negotiation, I swapped my VW TDi Wagon for her Tahoe.

Linéa and I frantically unpacked the Cruiser and repacked into the Tahoe. An hour later we were on the road, 12:15 to be exact.

4 hours later and 6 hours later than we had planned, we rolled into camp and snagged the last parking spot. Quite an ordeal but well worth it !

And now for the kudos: Dean, you're simply amazing. Janet, you rock. Nicole and Mario, you kids kept us fed. Matt is the bier-meister. Gerry and Mike, thanks for being patient with me when we rode together. Sharon and Mike, you saved us on Sunday nite.

Thanks as well to those who made Linéa feel welcome in the 'family'. She couldn't believe how cool everyone was and she had an absolute blast !

To the others I didn't mention: we had a great time with you all and it was great to see so many familiar faces. To those who couldn't make it: get your asses up there next year

Mendo 5, bring it on !

Jonathan & Linéa
cme4lyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #309
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,525
Darrell (kawtipper) and family need help after bad moto crash

My very good friend Darrell (kawtipper on ADV and a regular at the Mendo Rally) had a terrible motorcycle accident last month. He was on his street bike and flew off the road in a turn. From his wife Joy:
On October 4, 2014 our lives changed dramatically as Darrell was in a severe motorcycle accident while on his annual Autumn ride with his motorcycle buddies and Nicko (his son). His injuries are life changing. He fractured his spine at level T 4-5, which means he has no sensation or movement below his mid chest. He also had 4 fractured ribs on his right side and 1 fractured rib on the left. His left collarbone was broken and displaced and his right ankle and tibia were fractured. The good news is he has full use of both arms, and has his diaphragm so is able to breath on his own. He had no head injury as he was wearing good protective gear. He is alive and talking and we are moving forward fast.
Darrell is recovering from his other injuries, but the spinal injury has left him permanently paralyzed below his mid-chest. Needless to say the Hawkins family's lives have been changed dramatically and I have set up a fundraiser to help them with their post-hospitalization medical costs. They are grateful for any support that you can provide.

More info in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023699

Darrell was my riding partner on the TAT in 2012 when I had my bad crash and he did a great job managing the accident scene and making sure me and my bike were taken care of.

Darrell at this years Mendo Rally; with Bill (Speed Racer) on the left and Randall (r3r3r) on the right.

joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #310
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,305
Oh no. I'm speechless. This just ruined my day.