Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #226
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Yeah, so what. I grew up in the 50's-60's and I still have all the scars from all the stupid, careless shit I did including a deep gash in my leg and 40,stitches in my head from crashing my Honda 305 Scrambler while dressed in cut off jeans and a teeshirt. Luckily I lived throughall that plus a stint in the Army and I now have sense enough to be better attired on my motorcycles. White helmet and HiViz.
I also spent much of my medical career hanging out in ER's and OR's. I've seen what stupid looks like.....and its results.
100% agree. I also grew up in the 50s - 60's and there is more holes in the argument than Swiss cheese.

Just take who's actually got the Type 2 diabetes???? It's the tree climbing skateboarding crew with no helmets from the 60's-70's who continued their devil may care lifestyle. If we'd all taken better care of ourselves perhaps would have the worldwide problem we have today.

It actually presented a pretty compelling argument for paying far greater attention to our health and safety.
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #227
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
100% agree. I also grew up in the 50s - 60's and there is more holes in the argument than Swiss cheese.

Just take who's actually got the Type 2 diabetes???? It's the tree climbing skateboarding crew with no helmets from the 60's-70's who continued their devil may care lifestyle. If we'd all taken better care of ourselves perhaps would have the worldwide problem we have today.

It actually presented a pretty compelling argument for paying far greater attention to our health and safety.
Make no mistake, the kids are suffering for their "safe" lifestyle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/30/he...dren.html?_r=0

That said, I was just saying why I won't wear high viz. You think you need it, wear it. No skin off my back.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #228
Dusty1013 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I wear gear and hi viz all the time because I don't see a reason not to. I agreed with hippieBrians post because I share some of the same feelings on how kids are being raised these days. You can't play dodge ball anymore that's too dangerous, make sure you scrub up with anti bacterial soap if you were playing in the dirt, that's if kids go out at all. Everybody gets a trophy we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. On the other hand it has nothing to do with what I choose to wear while riding.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #229
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
Make no mistake, the kids are suffering for their "safe" lifestyle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/30/he...dren.html?_r=0

That said, I was just saying why I won't wear high viz. You think you need it, wear it. No skin off my back.
I can't get the kids out from in front of a computer. That's why they aren't playing on their skateboards, going fishing, riding motorcycles (not in the numbers we did). And whose eating habits have they copied and who gave them the money to buy the junk food??? You're right that paranoid parents are part of the problem, but it's only part. But what mature adults choose to wear on motorcycles is totally unrelated.

When someone says "when I see someone in high vis gear on a motorcycle, I see someone who is so averse to risk that they probably are so worried about getting hit they aren't enjoying themselves." Could you see that could be taken as quite an insult. I wear a good quality yellow jacket because I spend 4 hours every day in heavy peak hour traffic on crap roads. On average I'd say once a week someone would take me out big-time if I wasn't on my game. I value all the help I can get, and that's why I wear it. Because its good quality and cool I also use it on week-end club rides, much to the annoyance of the other club members.

About the third post in this thread someone said, I agree Hi-Viz has merit but I just don't want to. That is all the non supports of Hi-Viz should say. When people try and put forward other justifications e.g. its unproven effectiveness, putting all your faith, substitute for proper skills, etc. all that does is give ammunition to the believers. People who don't want to, should just say I don't want to. How can anyone argue with that.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #230
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
Quote:
I can't get the kids out from in front of a computer. That's why they aren't playing on their skateboards, going fishing, riding motorcycles (not in the numbers we did). And whose eating habits have they copied and who gave them the money to buy the junk food??? You're right that paranoid parents are part of the problem, but it's only part.

When someone says "when I see someone in high vis gear on a motorcycle, I see someone who is so averse to risk that they probably are so worried about getting hit they aren't enjoying themselves." Could you see that could be taken as quite an insult. I wear a good quality yellow jacket because I spend 4 hours every day in heavy peak hour traffic on crap roads. On average I'd say once a week someone would take me out big-time if I wasn't on my game. I value all the help I can get, and that's why I wear it. Because its good quality and cool I also use it on week-end club rides, much to the annoyance of the other club members.

About the third post in this thread someone said, I agree Hi-Viz has merit but I just don't want to. That is all the non supports of Hi-Viz should say. When people try and put forward other justifications e.g. its unproven effectiveness, putting all your faith, substitute for proper skills, etc. all that does is give ammunition to the believers. People who don't want to, should just say I don't want to. How can anyone argue with that.
Sorry, it was just an opinion. A reason I don't wear it. What goes through MY mind, right or wrong, when I see it. That's all. Wasn't meant to be an insult.

Like I said, I had to think long and hard to figure out why I'm personally opposed to it, because it makes sense. I figured out why, and I'm thinking some others who are personally averse to wearing it may (or may not) have the same reason.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #231
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:

can't argue with that.

ok maybe someone can. and will.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #232
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
can't argue with that.

ok maybe someone can. and will.
Hi KB,
It was your post I was referring to (actually page 4). I though the honesty of your comment was refreshing and to the point.

Regards,
Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #233
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, it was just an opinion. A reason I don't wear it. What goes through MY mind, right or wrong, when I see it. That's all. Wasn't meant to be an insult.

Like I said, I had to think long and hard to figure out why I'm personally opposed to it, because it makes sense. I figured out why, and I'm thinking some others who are personally averse to wearing it may (or may not) have the same reason.
Not a problem. Every weekend some young turk on his super sport thinks the same and wants to show the old fart in his yellow jacket on his ancient ZR750 (not stock) what its all about in the twisties. Never get tired of this game which usually end with a friendly wave good bye at the end and perhaps a different view. Guys wearing it are not all scared beginners, we are just trying to shift the odds more in our favor.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #234
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,445
Yeah, growing up in the '50's and '60's, riding bikes in the '70's with no helmet, T shirt and sneakers - crashed many a time like that with no lasting damage. My feeling is that people who wear extreme safety gear, hi viz and headlight on think they have done their bit, the cars can see me now, and ride like so. Fatal approach.

However.....My daughter is a dress maker, and was making some Zumba clothes with some bright orange fabric - ''This would make a good Hi Viz jacket'' she said to me...laughing because I don't like that stuff. ''I'm not a hi viz kinda of guy'' I said. ''Leave it to me....''

So, that Xmas she gave me a Hi Viz vest, classic cut with a high back, points at the front and fob pockets, dark denim, taffeta lining, handcuff chain....and some discrete bright orange inserts front and back. I sometimes use a Camelback, so is made to be visible wearing one. I now wear it all the time - long time since I wore a cut off DJ over a motorcycle jacket. I still ride like a phantom, it's hard to break a lifetime of defensive riding.... but every bit helps.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #235
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi KB,
It was your post I was referring to (actually page 4). I though the honesty of your comment was refreshing and to the point.

Regards,
hey, thanks.

but wait, this is the internet.

flames must be fanned,

therefore I bring a new link to fuel the fire.

http://www.visordown.com/features/di...fad/24473.html

enjoy.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #236
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
Yeah, growing up in the '50's and '60's, riding bikes in the '70's with no helmet, T shirt and sneakers - crashed many a time like that with no lasting damage. My feeling is that people who wear extreme safety gear, hi viz and headlight on think they have done their bit, the cars can see me now, and ride like so. Fatal approach.

However.....My daughter is a dress maker, and was making some Zumba clothes with some bright orange fabric - ''This would make a good Hi Viz jacket'' she said to me...laughing because I don't like that stuff. ''I'm not a hi viz kinda of guy'' I said. ''Leave it to me....''

So, that Xmas she gave me a Hi Viz vest, classic cut with a high back, points at the front and fob pockets, dark denim, taffeta lining, handcuff chain....and some discrete bright orange inserts front and back. I sometimes use a Camelback, so is made to be visible wearing one. I now wear it all the time - long time since I wore a cut off DJ over a motorcycle jacket. I still ride like a phantom, it's hard to break a lifetime of defensive riding.... but every bit helps.

daughters love. nice story.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #237
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Because someone with less experience may feel safer wearing it, if they feel safer they may not be as vigilant as they should be.

Some people say if it works only once then its worth it, that may be true, but it only needs to fail once...... when you feel safer...... to kill you.

I would never discourage using high-viz because it can be beneficial, and I don't think there is any reasonable safety concern to not use it, but IMO, its irresponsible to claim it makes riding any safer or even imply it.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #238
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
To me, when I see someone in high vis gear on a motorcycle, I see someone who is so averse to risk that they probably are so worried about getting hit they aren't enjoying themselves.

I wear a white helmet and a hi-viz jacket or shirt, with a hard/CE chest/back protector, armored gloves, armored pants, and offroad boots. I also make sure that my bikes have reflectors, upgraded lighting/LEDs, and better mirrors. The topcase I use on all 3 of my bikes has red/white DOT reflective tape on it. I try to ride aware, scanning,and positioning...see and be seen...use SEE as I'm riding.

I use my signals and don't ride like the public roads are a racetrack. I do, however, roll 100MPH or close in open dirt sometimes though. I also launch a 400lb bike airborn, ride sandy whoops, drift, wheely, and roost berms. I ride in rain, snow, mud, sand, gravel, water, wet grass, big-city rush-hour traffic, and clay. I don't even care if it's below freezing. If I feel like riding, I ride. I've jumped out of perfectly-good aircraft without a parachute. I'm not risk-averse at the expense of fun.

I don't ride in lightning though. Lightning skeers me.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #239
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
When I was 15 I rode a Honda s90 from SoCal to Eugene Ore. and back with 2 friends, they were on trail 90s. That was in 1967. Friend went wide on a corner and hit some pine needles and crashed. Luckily his helmet was hanging on the side of his bike and saved his leg from getting smashed up. None of us wore our helmets much back then. Well, we all are still walking and riding, not sure how, slower these days and my one friend still rides rocky, steep trails from Idaho to Yellowstone in shorts, tennis shoes and a t-shirt but does wear a helmet even though it is not a law in Idaho. I wear Hi-Viz sometimes but still ride in shorts and flip flops at the beach. Pulled into Post Office a few days ago with my xt225 all black and yellow with the huge Hi-Viz Nelson Riggs Adventure bags(which I like), wearing a Hi-Viz jacket. I always park just into the parking spot so peeps can see my bikes. Just pulled in and was getting off my bike when a lady pulled in behind me and stopped within 5 inches. My leg was just swinging over seat and that would of hurt even though I was stopped and she was going 2. I gave her a look and she said sorry, I didn't see you!!! Wear whatever you like as I do but I do think it helps in many cases but Shirley, not all.
Ride safe my friends.

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #240
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post

I gave her a look and she said sorry, I didn't see you!!! Wear whatever you like as I do but I do think it helps in many cases but Shirley, not all.

Ride safe my friends.

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic